Kbetts

Finally Lax season

17 posts in this topic

Ahhhhh, a sign that spring is coming.  NCAA Lacrosse started a couple weeks ago.  Can Maryland repeat?  The world's oldest team sport is booming as there seems to be a new program making a name for itself every year.

High School lax starts March 1st.  Our kids have been playing twice a week after school to work out the winter blues.  The program has gone from just enough kids to have a team to most likely having to make cuts for the first time ever.  Currently we have six kids playing at the college level, including an exchange student from Spain that just made his University team.  Fun times for sure. 

ESPNU is televising multiple games and there is a ton of live stream available.  Do yourself a favor and watch a couple if you haven't.  It's addictive.

Was able to catch the Towson Game yesterday. Man what a difference a year makes. They look very young and immature vs a hungry Hopkins.

I think the Maryland women have a better chance of repeating than the men. Should be fun to watch both teams as the season goes along.

Yea, Towson looked out of place.  Hopkins made them look like fools a couple times.  Happy for Petro though...he's due a good run.

Favorites to win:

1. Duke

2. Syracuse

3. Hopkins.

4. OSU

I love seeing the younger teams or others leagues make a run but the OG powerhouses look incredibly strong as the season is getting underway.

My pull for underdog is a strong Loyola team led by Pat Spencer. I wouldnt count out Albany, but I need to see Tehoka at the helm before I make that prediction.

Just now, Kbetts said:

Yea, Towson looked out of place.  Hopkins made them look like fools a couple times.  Happy for Petro though...he's due a good run.

Eff Petro, the guy should win the championship every year with the resources that he has at Hopkins. I mean come on, the guy walks on the field and the refs practically hand him the game. His boy Bill Bellichek taught him well. He's had his and cant make it happen which is why ill always root for every other team against the BlueJays

Not a Hopkins fan but Petro has done a lot for the sport.  Bellichek being a Hopkins supporter definitely doesn't make me like them any more.

Tehoka is a beast but sometimes that indoor style doesn't translate against fundamentally sound teams.  Hill Academy handled him pretty well last year when he was with IMG.  Speaking of which I saw my college coach's brother pacing the sideline for IMG.....pretty cool.

Its great seeing all the guys I played and against growing up running these great programs.. Petro sometimes gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs based on how great a player he was.  but there is much more parity now in all 3 Divisions then when I played for sure. I played in college from 1987-1991 and back then there was 5-6 teams (Hopkins, Duke, NC, Cornell, Syracuse, Maryland) vying for the D1 crown every year for the most part and 3-4 teams in D3 could play with and beat 75-80% of the D1 teams, same with D2. but now, looking at the rankings any one of 10-15 teams in all 3 divisions could win it.  great for the sport.  When I was at Cortland, we basically played a D1 Schedule., 1988 I think, we played, Syracuse, Cornell, Princeton, Maryland, Hobart, Ohio Wesleyan, Roanoke, Franklin Marshall, then our conference games which were a joke (Ithaca, RIT, Hartwick). we lost every year to Hobart in the playoffs. We hung for a half against the Gait brothers one year (leading 7-6 after 1st quarter, 11-8 at halftime, ended losing 23-11 I think, LOL. we played Cornell tight (4-5 goals), lost to Maryland 9-6 at cortland, and beat up Princeton pretty good, they won 3 titles starting two years after that. 

the Talent level, even at D3, is insane now. I watched Cortland play Salisbury a few years ago and I dont think the ball touched the ground more than 2-3 times. crazy.. 

Im more connected with womens Lax these days and its awesome seeing some of the girls I coached playing at big time schools. the womens game is CRAZY good now, incredible athletes, really fun to watch.. The Final Four for Women is at Stony Brook this year. if you are on LI, its a great weekend.. 

Awesome piece of history. 

I went to Cape Henlopen in Delaware.  It was brought there by Milt Roberts.  Currently the girls program will be playing for a seventh or eighth straight title.  There are two generations of girls that are four year champions in both hockey and lacrosse.

The beauty of the sport of Lacrosse as I see it, is the accessibility to the great players and coaches.  No other sport affords such the opportunity to see, talk to, even play against the heros of the game like Lacrosse.  I was a D3 player yet every year I can go to a tournament and play against the best there is and was...Beardsly, Powell brothers, even played against Tillman when we lost to MD Hardshells two years ago.  You don't get that chance in too many other sports.

agreed, I was covered by Reggie Thorpe a few years ago at LAke Placid. on the other team was Paul/Gary Gait, Steve Zilberti, the Powell Bros, etc. after the game, we drank Molsons in the parking lot for about 3 hours.. when can a regular dude like me go play with Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, Potvin in a competitve hockey tournament, then go guzzle beers in the parking lot after?  

Placid is awesome.  Didn't play Masters 1 last year (Stu Funk/Go Big Nutrition)....don't have the step anymore.  Loving playing for the Machine.  I can still hang in that age bracket.

PM me if you're going back this year.  I should be there.

Man i gotta get out to placid!

The talent is so wide spread nowadays. Ive been saying that Salisbury, stevenson, RIT, Cortland could beat 90% of D1 schools if they played against one another. Theres so much talent that a lot of great players are not even seeing the field.

I played 4 years at Drexel, and graduated last year. I'll be following them as they try to grind their way through a gauntlet of a division, the CAA.

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

other than highlights, not the greatest spectator sport but damn does it look fun as hell  to play.

have you been to a professional box lacrosse game yet? I highly reccomend it for all ages. I just started playing in a box league and I fell in love with the sport of lacrosse all over again

it looks fun..ive only seen it on sportscenter top ten plays to be honest ....but . if it (indoor rink style) can make soccer somewhat interesting I cant imagine what it would do to a real sport.