Birdsnester

Casting with lever drag

9 posts in this topic

So I bought this Accurate Valiant conventional reel with lever drag.  Never had a lever drag before.  There are no magnets or Centrifugal brakes on this bad boy.  Just me and my thumb!  So question is, can I use the lever drag for cast control?  Just move the lever up a little to help prevent the dreaded birds nest....   am I asking for trouble by doing this?  I’ve not received the reel yet so I’ve not tried this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You "CAN" but I wouldn't recommend it. For starters everytime you cast you are casting against the drag, this is not the same as a spool tension adjuster on a star drag reel. Using the drag for tension is not smooth so your casting distance is going to be sketchy as best. Secondly your going to be burning up your drag during casts. 

 

I would just wait to use it and see how bad it is to control. You may not need any help and it'll cast fine with just some thumb work. If it does need some help to tame it you have a couple options. One, remove the spool bearings, clean them out and add thicker oil. Next, add mags which is not hard at all. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Cfinnely68 said:

You "CAN" but I wouldn't recommend it. For starters everytime you cast you are casting against the drag, this is not the same as a spool tension adjuster on a star drag reel. Using the drag for tension is not smooth so your casting distance is going to be sketchy as best. Secondly your going to be burning up your drag during casts. 

 

I would just wait to use it and see how bad it is to control. You may not need any help and it'll cast fine with just some thumb work. If it does need some help to tame it you have a couple options. One, remove the spool bearings, clean them out and add thicker oil. Next, add mags which is not hard at all. 

 

 

Hi thanks.  I was concerned that the drags would burn up lol.  This has dual drags so I’m not sure how easy mags will be.  It has drags on both sides.  When I get it I will open it to see.  Thanks for your reply 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Hi thanks.  I was concerned that the drags would burn up lol.  This has dual drags so I’m not sure how easy mags will be.  It has drags on both sides.  When I get it I will open it to see.  Thanks for your reply 

I see you actually bought it! The drag is on the spool on lever drags. There should be room for magnets. 

Edited by Big Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES WE CAN

I thought it is impossible after reading some schmoes here in serbia that it`s mission impossible

and than I found out..

 

all you need is weight

 

Edited by glos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Big Will said:

I see you actually bought it! The drag is on the spool on lever drags. There should be room for magnets. 

Yep, can’t wait to get it.  It will get magged one way or another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Yep, can’t wait to get it.  It will get magged one way or another.  

I want one. Did you get the 300 or 400? I haven’t decided which one I want but it’s still going to be awhile until I can justify buying one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, Big Will said:

I want one. Did you get the 300 or 400? I haven’t decided which one I want but it’s still going to be awhile until I can justify buying one. 

I got the 300.  LOL how can we ever justify spending 400 dollars on a fishing reel lol...  Well, I am selling off quite a few reels on eBay so I suppose that is justifiable in a sense.  The 300 holds 325 yards of 30 pound braid.  That's plenty and they talk about hauling fish to 50 lbs easy.  Based on the Long Island South Shore results over the past 3 or 4 years, this reel won't get tested much lol  ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I got the 300.  LOL how can we ever justify spending 400 dollars on a fishing reel lol...  Well, I am selling off quite a few reels on eBay so I suppose that is justifiable in a sense.  The 300 holds 325 yards of 30 pound braid.  That's plenty and they talk about hauling fish to 50 lbs easy.  Based on the Long Island South Shore results over the past 3 or 4 years, this reel won't get tested much lol  ...

Wait til you see how small it is. I was originally thinking the 400 would be better for a 12 foot rod. The 400 itself is a very small reel. They have deep, high capacity spools. When I do decide to get one I think the 300 would be the best choice though, it’s more unique because of its size and power and there’s really nothing else like it out there that I’ve seen. And it has more drag than you’d ever need in a reel that size. 

Edited by Big Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.