Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdogfish

OK Trident Ultra 4.3...rod storage?

23 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about an OK Trident Ultra 4.3. 2014.

The center hatch seems to be a defining feature.  However the hatch appears to be self-enclosed....that is.....not open to the interior of the hull.

Where does one store rods on this boat for surf launch or securing for heavy weather?  Can the hatch be cut open to access the hull space?  Is there a downside to this as long as the hatch remains closed?

Lastly, is that center hatch cover really watertight?

Posted (edited)

I have yet to find a kayak that  did not leak. The rod pod on my trident 13  seemed to leak more the most hatches

on a kayak.  You can always secure your rods to the deck by laying them flat and attaching them and removing the reels.

If you have 2 piece rods they would likely fit inside your front hatch. . If you want things to remain dry i would suggest  you place them in a dry bag.  If center storage area between your legs is not open to the inside of the hull  I would not open it it could cause structural problems.  Good luck with your decision.  I would suggest you practice your surf launch and landings without any gear.   Also dress for immersion. 

Edited by dbjpb

they used to sell a long and heavy attachment that you drill a hole in the center console to store your rod pointed to the stern.

don't know if they still sell that... i hear it was heavy...

Hmmm...well im new to this.  Seems like a significant oversight that a pro fishing kayak is not designed to store rods, other than strapped to hull.

Posted (edited)

Description:

"The Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 Rod Tube Kit fits in the center hatch of the Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra kayaks to run under the rear tank well and is designed to give you a place to store your rods. The Ocean Kayak Ultra Rod Tube Kit allows for two rods and reels to be stored and protected if encountering surf type conditions."

So its just a closed ended tube entering through the tank well into the kayak under the deck.....

What exactly is getting protected during a surf launch?

I can see the rod tip end  but the reel end of the rod is just laying in the tank well, they say it protects the reel as well, cant see how though ......

5a81e789c7cef_ultra4.3rodtube.jpg.f67ab1188a2103fabfe438b669f90054.jpg

Edited by BillZ

2 hours ago, BillZ said:

Description:

"The Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 Rod Tube Kit fits in the center hatch of the Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra kayaks to run under the rear tank well and is designed to give you a place to store your rods. The Ocean Kayak Ultra Rod Tube Kit allows for two rods and reels to be stored and protected if encountering surf type conditions."

So its just a closed ended tube entering through the tank well into the kayak under the deck.....

What exactly is getting protected during a surf launch?

I can see the rod tip end  but the reel end of the rod is just laying in the tank well, they say it protects the reel as well, cant see how though ......

5a81e789c7cef_ultra4.3rodtube.jpg.f67ab1188a2103fabfe438b669f90054.jpg

in the ultra 4.3, the center console has a "sealed" space where the rod tube mounts in there towards the rear... hence the reels are protected inside the center console... 

I can't follow any of this.

The tube installs into the round access hatch in the rear well?  With the reel? And then a hatch cover is screwed back on?

1 hour ago, kinghong1970 said:

in the ultra 4.3, the center console has a "sealed" space where the rod tube mounts in there towards the rear... hence the reels are protected inside the center console... 

Ahh, i was backwards,  thanks for clarifying that

Tube is installed in the direction of the arrow.

20180212_184714.jpg.5ff63fbb8b57e03dff0367c77c290abd.jpg

I have a 4.3 with the rod pod, New Zealand seat like in the picture, and ice pod. Naysayers all beat up on OK yaks, but the Trident Ultras were built in New Zealand by OK staff that lived for the surf, good rocker, and a bow flare  that is  scary amazing how it pops up on waves. They are nothing like the Trident 13, the center compartment is a molded tub, that if hatch were to leak or get torn off it can't fill the hull with water, they were the first yak with the now standard OK twist lock front hatches (another new zealand thing), they have molded inserts all over. Not a light weight boat but it is a 14' kayak that with seat comes in at 69 lbs. ,yes I stood on a scale holding it. Most I put in my rod tube were three casting rods about 6.5' to 7',  tight fit, I have my fish finder battery mounted at the front and that is where my rods butts sit velcro strapped down, the rod tube is not as heavy as people say , that was a guy here saying how heavy it was but corrected himself later. Beats the hell outta tying stuff down on the deck, or trying to put rods in the front hatch.You can probably tell I love this yak and it is my favorite of the fleet, I fish mostly with a peddle kayak (Native Slayer 13), but I enjoy Paddling much more, feel more connected to the water and less bored, reading to brace in rough water. The biggest con I had with it is the flip flop hatch wasn't needed by me, and was too wide, I ordered the New Zealand optional hatch hinge and built a much better setup for me. So there I just wrote another book about a yak, but you need to know I was commenting on line with Ocean Kayak New Zealand while they were designing the boat, and ordered one as soon as they were available in states, your 2014 is a New Zealand boat should say so on the stern, OK US changed the molds after shutting down the New Zealand branch, not as much rocker and no way to put the Necky/ New Zealand seat in it.

Want to see something neat goggle Trident Ultra 4.1, it is the New Zealand version of the original Prowler 13, I wanted one so bad and just couldn't get one shipped to states after they closed. Wow whatta book, gotta go!......Jack  

One more thing Black dog, the center hatch is about as water tight as they get ,with a large air filled gasket all around and four rubber straps the make it tight,.....Jack

7 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I have a 4.3 with the rod pod, New Zealand seat like in the picture, and ice pod.  Beats the hell outta tying stuff down on the deck, or trying to put rods in the front hatch.

Just a comment. I have several kayaks where I attach my rods to the deck for surf launches and landings, and friends that do the same. If you do this properly, it is more than adequate. I have never lost or damaged a rod or reel in the surf. And kayaks with a big front hatch are super easy for stowing rods. Works great. The front hatch on the Prowler 13 (NOT Trident) will handle several 7-foot rods and reels. Personally, I would not base my kayak choice on the rod pod.  

I did paddle a 4.3 and was not impressed. To me, it was a barge. But everyone has different opinions. It's whatever you like. 

Kross57,  i do recall speaking to a dude *hint* with cartman avatar *hint* stating anything over 24" is wide... so yea... anything outside of what you get from South Africa is a barge to your bum... eh?

hahaha

on the 4.3, the rocker made it fun over waves and chop... 

the revo kinda punches through waves... the 4.3 you get the mini roller coaster ride... that was fun...