quonny

Sig Sauer P226 MK25 comments

31 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about a new addition to the collection. Specifically, the Sig P226 MK25. 9mm is not my favorite round, but it is probably the most economical and I have several weapons chambered in 45acp. Any comments good or bad??? Thanks

6 hours ago, quonny said:

I have been thinking about a new addition to the collection. Specifically, the Sig P226 MK25. 9mm is not my favorite round, but it is probably the most economical and I have several weapons chambered in 45acp. Any comments good or bad??? Thanks

I own the P226 TACOPS and really enjoy it. Not the MK25 persay, but close enough. I bought it slightly used with a threaded barrel, elevated suppressor sights and factory 20-round mags. Shoots like every Sig with similar bore axis which one either likes or doesn’t. Great suppressor host with my Osprey. But, as you would expect, fully loaded it is heavy due to all-metal frame and high capacity. If you are going to carry, plan on full sized holster worn at 3:00 or 4:00, not appendix. Shoots nicely with weight mitigating much of recall. 

Hope me this helps. 

7 mins ago, tomkaz said:

I own the P226 TACOPS and really enjoy it. Not the MK25 persay, but close enough. I bought it slightly used with a threaded barrel, elevated suppressor sights and factory 20-round mags. Shoots like every Sig with similar bore axis which one either likes or doesn’t. Great suppressor host with my Osprey. But, as you would expect, fully loaded it is heavy due to all-metal frame and high capacity. If you are going to carry, plan on full sized holster worn at 3:00 or 4:00, not appendix. Shoots nicely with weight mitigating much of recall. 

Hope me this helps. 

It does help, and thanks. The weight is not an issue, as I would not carry it. Tough to get a permit in RI. I have had RI, CT, and PA permits in the past, and never carried a daily weapon. However if I did carry, I have a Glock 36 I would use. Any feeding or ejection issues? I am led to believe that springs need changing often. Any comment there? Thanks

1 hour ago, quonny said:

It does help, and thanks. The weight is not an issue, as I would not carry it. Tough to get a permit in RI. I have had RI, CT, and PA permits in the past, and never carried a daily weapon. However if I did carry, I have a Glock 36 I would use. Any feeding or ejection issues? I am led to believe that springs need changing often. Any comment there? Thanks

I either own or have owned 226, 229s, 239, 232 and 320, all 9mm except the 229s (.40). They eat anything you feed them, from quality factory ammo to local friend reloads to commercial reloads. I used the 226 for a 600+ round two day class at Sig Academy and did not have a single failure. 

I tend to run them on the wetter side and I the cureent sorings have been slightly modified for shooting suppressed though I can’t recall if heavier or lighter.

No issues even with subsonic ammo. 

10 hours ago, quonny said:

See this article:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-sig-sauer-p226-the-navy-seals-favorite-gun-23685

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

I either own or have owned 226, 229s, 239, 232 and 320, all 9mm except the 229s (.40). They eat anything you feed them, from quality factory ammo to local friend reloads to commercial reloads. I used the 226 for a 600+ round two day class at Sig Academy and did not have a single failure. 

I tend to run them on the wetter side and I the cureent sorings have been slightly modified for shooting suppressed though I can’t recall if heavier or lighter.

No issues even with subsonic ammo. 

This is a very accurate assessment. 

11 mins ago, webfoot44 said:

This is a very accurate assessment. 

Btw, at that Sig course, not all pistols were Sigs. There were Glocks, SW and a range of 1911s. If I recall correctly, there was on M&P that had a couple of FtF issues and two 1911s that were having all types of problems. Those were owned by a guy and his gal who wore "photographers vests" on the first day. Deeply steeped in carrying daily, in the most obvious of ways. I think they were matching tricked-out Colts but I can’t recall the model. But they really didn’t like the Sig Academy ammo which was pretty standard Federal bulk 9mm. From Day 2 onward, they used their own ammo which may have been his own reloads. And for all that, I didn’t think he shot all the well either in the real-world drills involved. 

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Btw, at that Sig course, not all pistols were Sigs. There were Glocks, SW and a range of 1911s. If I recall correctly, there was on M&P that had a couple of FtF issues and two 1911s that were having all types of problems. Those were owned by a guy and his gal who wore "photographers vests" on the first day. Deeply steeped in carrying daily, in the most obvious of ways. I think they were matching tricked-out Colts but I can’t recall the model. But they really didn’t like the Sig Academy ammo which was pretty standard Federal bulk 9mm. From Day 2 onward, they used their own ammo which may have been his own reloads. And for all that, I didn’t think he shot all the well either in the real-world drills involved. 

Thanks for all the input !!! I am not sure I want another Glock. The article said that the seals were headed to the G19, but that may be a generic comment. There are a great number of G19 variations. The SIG sounds worth looking into. Of course if the truth of the matter be known, I really don't need it, but that has never been the reason not to add to a collection. I have a Browning HiPower I have owned since 1971, and that is a tried and proven design. I love 1911's but they have issues and stovepiping isone of them, even with ball ammo. I think I will have a look at the MK25. Thanks again

56 mins ago, fishweewee said:

If you are going to get a P226 get an older German made gun.

Why would that be?

I own a bunch of Sig's. P226R was my first. Put about 10,000 9mm rounds through it and it was all cheap ammo. Aluminum and brass, No steel. LOVE my 226. So I bought a few more. I wanted a 229 because I like the look but it is too small for my paws. One of the reasons I like the Sigs is the double stack mags. I take off the hard plastic grips and put Hogue black rubber grips on. Fits my hand like a glove. The 229 grip was short for me and I could only get 3 fingers on it. Some people prefer smaller grips and would be off-put by the Sig grip. Not me. Since I couldn't get a 229, I wanted another 226. And I wanted a desert scheme so I went with a P226R MK25 because it came in desert (green???). I also wanted a .45 cal gun and didn't like the stories I was hearing about the 220, so I waited. Eventually they came out with a 227 and I picked that one up. All great guns. I have no qualms whatsoever about the quality. I put about 12,000 rounds through the original gun with one single FTE. Not a bad record in my book!

After I began enjoying the purchase of guns, I thought about a German made 226 without the rail. But like all the old west guns I've picked up along the way, I ended up going with new issue because it just wasn't worth paying up for something because collectors like to hoard them. I always wanted a shooter and there was no sense paying ridiculous prices for something just because it's 30 years old or 130 for that matter.

Posted (edited)

I owned a p290 I know not the gun your talking about but worst handgun I've owned stove piping and other ejecting problems with all kinds of ammo! sold it ...

Edited by mkus

20 mins ago, mkus said:

I owned a p290 I know not the gun your talking about but worst handgun I've owned stove piping and other ejecting problems with all kinds of ammo! sold it ...

P290 was not a real Sig, it was a baby Glock wannabe. 

Since replaced by the P365.

Well, I am going to stay with my initial choice to look into. I have to believe the MK 25 has been properly refined. As I originally said though I prefer the 45 over the 9mm If I sway at all, it might be towards a 227