iceman2017

Is Daiwa Saltiga rod suitable for shallow water togging?

11 posts in this topic

I've been reading many helpful posts in this forum on togging. I learned that a sensitive tip is key for tog fishing (I am a newbie and I haven't caught any tog yet). I bought this spinning rod over the holidays, hoping to use it for inshore togging on party boats (~30 feet water, use crab as bait). I think "R" probably means mod fast to fast. The lure weight is unknown.

Will this rod work for tog? The tip is quite stiff. How about black seabass? Thanks for your advice.  

Model Number Power Action Length
Feet
Pieces Line Wt.
(Lb.)
Lure Wt.
(Ounces)
No.
Guides
SAG70MRS MH R 7' 1 12-25 7

Posted (edited)

for someone new to togging, I would strongly recommend a conventional rod. something slightly heavier as well, more like 20-40. Though a 15-25# rod would probably be fine for the shallower water fishing like that, something a little heavier would be better all-around for times you might fish deeper 50-100' depths where you might need 8-10 oz sinkers. same would go for sea bass.

If you're planing to use the blackfish "jigs", then more of those guys use spinning rods, but I have not used them at all yet.

The rod you listed might also work better for bucktailing fluke, and casting lighter jigs for bass/bluefish in some situations.

Edited by billthe5th

You can use the rod for shallow water tog and cbass. Using a light rod is fun when blackfishing. I have a saltiga in the 17-30 lb range and one that is in the 30-40 lb range. I would buy a heavier rod in the 30-40 lb range when you need to use 8-12oz sinkers. Use the rod you like it lighter. 

I have the 20-40 and it’s a great rod. Seems like it would be fine for deep water togging. It definitely has some backbone to it. 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:39 PM, billthe5th said:

for someone new to togging, I would strongly recommend a conventional rod. something slightly heavier as well, more like 20-40. Though a 15-25# rod would probably be fine for the shallower water fishing like that, something a little heavier would be better all-around for times you might fish deeper 50-100' depths where you might need 8-10 oz sinkers. same would go for sea bass.

If you're planing to use the blackfish "jigs", then more of those guys use spinning rods, but I have not used them at all yet.

The rod you listed might also work better for bucktailing fluke, and casting lighter jigs for bass/bluefish in some situations.

Thanks for the advice. I like your idea of using conventional. Jigging sounds cool. I will probably start with baiting to get a feeling how togs bite. I really hope to catch my first tog.

BTW, is 4-6oz sinker ok for shallow water? 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:49 PM, Humboldt Squid said:

You can use the rod for shallow water tog and cbass. Using a light rod is fun when blackfishing. I have a saltiga in the 17-30 lb range and one that is in the 30-40 lb range. I would buy a heavier rod in the 30-40 lb range when you need to use 8-12oz sinkers. Use the rod you like it lighter. 

Thanks a lot. I went on a cod trip lately but I was seasick the entire time in spite of all the sea sickness medicine I took. I did not even drop the line in the water... But it was a slow day anyway. 9 fish for ~60 anglers.  

I think I'd better stay on shallow water.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, Big Will said:

I have the 20-40 and it’s a great rod. Seems like it would be fine for deep water togging. It definitely has some backbone to it. 

What's the rough Lure weight range for 12-25 or 20-40? Would you recommend using 50lb braid on 12-25? Thanks.

Just now, iceman2017 said:

What's the rough Lure weight range for 12-25 or 20-40? Would you recommend using 50lb braid on 12-25? Thanks.

I’m not sure, I’ve never seen the lighter one. I have the saltiga g boat rod rated 20-40 and I think 50 pound braid is fine for that rod. I would go with lighter line for the 12-25 unless you’re looking for abrasion resistance.  

14 mins ago, Big Will said:

I’m not sure, I’ve never seen the lighter one. I have the saltiga g boat rod rated 20-40 and I think 50 pound braid is fine for that rod. I would go with lighter line for the 12-25 unless you’re looking for abrasion resistance.  

Thanks. I will use lighter braid line for my 12-25 rod as you advised. 

On 2/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, iceman2017 said:

Thanks for the advice. I like your idea of using conventional. Jigging sounds cool. I will probably start with baiting to get a feeling how togs bite. I really hope to catch my first tog.

BTW, is 4-6oz sinker ok for shallow water? 

4-6 should be fine in 30' of water generally. Some days you might have heavy current that requires more, but in 30' that is unlikely in any places I have fished. always be ready to change, always have a few sinkers that you think are way too heavy just in case, and a couple that are very light.

1 min ago, billthe5th said:

4-6 should be fine in 30' of water generally. Some days you might have heavy current that requires more, but in 30' that is unlikely in any places I have fished. always be ready to change, always have a few sinkers that you think are way too heavy just in case, and a couple that are very light.

Thanks for your advice.