RedGreen

BEAST fleye Eel

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Was thinking of a possible use for the hair on the backside of a bucktail, and I thought to myself, it would be good for smaller more slender hollow fleyes. Or for making something long and thin and articulated with bucktail. Like an Eel. Hence, this thing. It took a LONG time. Super beast fly tandem hook Big Eelie. 34 tie in points, 31 hollow ties, and just shy of 20" long. 5/0 Eagle claw up front, 1/0 stainless kahle hook in the back. Probably should have tied the hooks together with wire instead of heavy mono, but I didn't have wire and didn't want to go get some just for this. Really light for the volume it has. Probably a useless fly but enjoyable to do regardless. 

IMAG0648.jpg.c9f7a0e79443dc8c9fb665a142b9fff0.jpgIMAG0647.jpg.132a14334d8efc624885170b55a1f0e1.jpg

Edited by RedGreen

Nice work. Would be cool if you find a time and place to put that bad boy to use. Like an eel migration somewhere with some current you could feed it out into to. 

5 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Nice work. Would be cool if you find a time and place to put that bad boy to use. Like an eel migration somewhere with some current you could feed it out into to. 

I've heard people using big eel flies up near the surface at night and getting crushing hits from stripers, that's kind of what I was thinking with this guy. Also why I did a Buford-is head that's fairly dense, hopefully it'll help keep it neat the surface