Wire For Fire

Making your own pork

98 posts in this topic

Tried that, still doesn't get white, more of a bone color

16 hours ago, oysterbreath said:

So do people eat this stuff (must not be very good at $1 a pound) ? Wonder if soaking it in gulp juice with help draw more strikes???

Can't hurt for the guys adding shoe polish.   :D

I picked up a 3 lb package of frozen pig skins this morning from the Asian market. It's way more than I wanted, but I guess I'll never run out. Haha. Now I'll just wait Few days for it to defrost in the fridge and then I'll get to work. This was the first time I've been in this market, and I was pretty impressed. They have a great seafood section, which I expected, with about a dozen different species of live fish. I'll definitely be back there for my next seafood purchase.

3 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I picked up a 3 lb package of frozen pig skins this morning from the Asian market. It's way more than I wanted, but I guess I'll never run out. Haha. Now I'll just wait Few days for it to defrost in the fridge and then I'll get to work. This was the first time I've been in this market, and I was pretty impressed. They have a great seafood section, which I expected, with about a dozen different species of live fish. I'll definitely be back there for my next seafood purchase.

Yup mine the produce is top notch and most of it can't find anywhere else.. plus all the lil Asian mommys in the store doesn't hurt one bit 

Just got a jar of rinds into the fridge. Fingers crossed it works! I cut the skin into 4 or 5 inch wide strips, cut off and scraped as much fat as I could, salted the hell out of them with kosher salt, and got them in over saturated salt water. I guess I'll check back in about 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Just got a jar of rinds into the fridge. Fingers crossed it works! I cut the skin into 4 or 5 inch wide strips, cut off and scraped as much fat as I could, salted the hell out of them with kosher salt, and got them in over saturated salt water. I guess I'll check back in about 2 weeks.

Yea sounds about right.. good luck .. and let us know how it turn out. 

I am curious-  how do you get the thickness adjusted?  I  haven't used pork rinds in a while but used to use them in various shapes and thicknesses including some thin ones that I think were called ripple rinds-  thin and curly tail kind of action   Do you just scrape them more or do you need to find the thin sections of rind?

Posted (edited)

Bumping this up ..2 weeks tomorrow on my 2 jars .. looking good ..they are pretty white and the lil bits of fat look like they coming right off just shaking jar ..  I give them few more days then pull them out and scrape and rinse and rejar.. only thing some the skin might be alil thin.. but we shall see 

Edited by Wire For Fire

Posted (edited)

Mine have been in the fridge for 11 days. I'm gonna give it till next weekend before I open them up and scrape again. They're definitely starting to lighten up in color. I think I need to add more salt though. When I first jarred them there was a good 1/2" of salt sitting in the bottom of the jar. This was after shaking the jar repeatedly to dissolve as much salt as it would take. Now there's only a thin coating of salt in the bottom of the jar. Maybe I didn't add enough to begin with.

Edit : just added some more salt just for the hell of it. Also, every few days I'll give the jar a little shake. Is that necessary, or should I just leave it alone?

Edited by chitala383

Why not lay the jars on their sides and give a quarter turn daily?

I’m no expert just a thought...

I mostly use Curly Tails but I have made Imitation Rind by using a Chamois Cloth.  I cut a piece  6"L x1/2"W and pre punch a small hole in it. I add colors by using a water proof marker, black, red etc. The cloth will dry up when you leave it on a bucktail overnight but quickly revives itself when it hits the water later on.  It is pretty cheap and you can get a load of imitation rind and various colors from just one cloth.  If you are in a pinch and want to use rind you can always cut a piece off of a T-shirt an use that. Just a few  alternatives to Pork Rind  that I have used.  Good  Luck

sb

Ok so been like 4 weeks soaking since I been so busy. Today I finally cracked the jar.  Risnsed them well and grabbed some razor blades and started scraping.. man what a chore.. that skin is tough and was eating razor blades up. And that pork fat all over is slick as snot .. only got through one jar cause my hand was locking up lol ..  trimmed some the bad pieces out and cut down to alil small strips.. rinsed well and washed out jar and back into a fresh brine..  was worried about them being too thin when I started but now that they soaked up so much salt worried about too thick..  going to give them another 2 weeks and scrape and cut to final size. And jar for last time hopefully.. they seen like they should work out just fine and are very very tough ..  

IMG_2509.JPG

razor blade? I just used a kitchen knife and scrape the heck out of it. Bigger pieces are easier to work with. Fat are easier to remove when they are frozen / semifrozen on a flat surface.  You can easily slice off the harden fat chunks. And don't cut them small until they are ready. 

Agree with getting them very cold (easier to handle). Just had a thought. To save your wrist hand, would one of these work?

CA143B38-9F81-452E-921B-27F81BE4E531.jpeg