Wire For Fire

Making your own pork

98 posts in this topic

Did bunch of reading and seems easy enough .. was in the Korean market and always look at the skin.. found a nice thick one today for a buck a pound and figured what he hell... and gave it a go... cut all fat I could away from skin and rinsed.. mixed a bowl of salt and water up for a while till it wouldn't take no more salt.. cleaned jars and stuffed with swine skin and filled with water and added more salt for good measure... all said and done I'm 2$ into this lol so if it bombs no big deal but we shall see in a few weeks 

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

1 min ago, Wire For Fire said:

Did bunch of reading and seems easy enough .. was in the Korean market and always look at the skin.. found a nice thick one today for a buck a pound and figured what he hell... and gave it a go... cut all fat I could away from skin and rinsed.. mixed a bowl of salt and water up for a while till it wouldn't take no more salt.. cleaned jars and stuffed with swine skin and filled with water and added more salt for good measure... all said and done I'm 2$ into this lol so if it bombs no big deal but we shall see in a few weeks 

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

Salt it heavily, fry it up and serve with grits and a biscuit. :)  

Wait. Are you eating this or eventually using it on your bucktails? If you are going to fish the strips, I would love to know how it turns out. Hell, if it works, I just found my new project!

Cool

Let us know how you fair, size of strips you used,  etc.

I think the color is sick already 

I've been thinking about trying this. There's an Asian market that's supposed to be good right down the road from me. I should check it out.

2 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Maybe it is the picture but how wide are the strips?  

They like 3" to 1"x 7-9" give or take.. they not cut to size yet.. after they all cured and scraped again then I will cut and make fresh brine and repeat 

9 hours ago, mythreesons said:

Cool

Let us know how you fair, size of strips you used,  etc.

I think the color is sick already 

From what I been reading they should be bright white after the cure .. we shall see 

This is one of those projects where I’m interested in seeing how it turns out but I seriously doubt that I’d ever be trying it myself. Good for you, though, that you’ve taken it on and I will be staying tuned to see your final results. Good luck!

3 hours ago, valentine said:

This is one of those projects where I’m interested in seeing how it turns out but I seriously doubt that I’d ever be trying it myself. Good for you, though, that you’ve taken it on and I will be staying tuned to see your final results. Good luck!

Yea I'm curious how it gonna turn out.. but seriously it was super easy.. sharp knife and fillet fat off like skinning a fish.. from what I read after few weeks the rest the fast should come off easy.. but like I said we shall see 

I make beans with my pork.  I buy the salt pork for home made BBQ Beans and Baked Beans,   

That's exactly the way mine looks but my strips are thinner and not as wide.   Well most of them anyways, I have a few big ones for bass but the majority of them are for Fluke and Black Sea Bass.   

Posted (edited)

Been doing it for a few years

If you don't have an asian market by you that sells pig skin just buy a pork shoulder at the food store, they usually have a large square of skin on them enough to make a bunch of jars worth of trailers.

Cut the skin off the roast (make BBQ or Pernil with the meat), trim off as much of the fat as you want to, liberally coat the fat side with kosher (NON-IODIZED) salt, roll it up, shove it in a zip lock back and hide it in the back of the refrigerator.

I always have a few going so they stay back there for 6 months or so to cure. That may be more time then they need but that's the way I've always done it.

When I need one and it's ripe, unroll trim and slice to shape, rinse super well, lay out to dry a bit then dye them with Ritz dyes.

After you dye them dry em out a little again and put em in leftove Gulp containers with the Gulp juice

The last picture is what it looks like after it's been in the fridge for a few months

20170323_130239.thumb.jpg.c7464aa4e167f2737039c3fdc86770b6.jpg20170323_131857.thumb.jpg.47338211479fa74aafce8e08af067e3a.jpg20170323_131906.thumb.jpg.665ae26e18b3e27396ff9587c14fdf0c.jpg20170323_131916.thumb.jpg.4744385b8906fc61889a124f853ee59c.jpg20170323_132447.thumb.jpg.eede3c1439920106377be6561e34189d.jpg20170323_132549.thumb.jpg.9da8f9f9cb068b47b02a7f7c3526d3ad.jpg

Edited by Sudsy