tjr

Replacing trebles with inline hooks?

33 posts in this topic

I am not sure about the swivel spinning since they don't spin under load anyway unless they are used with mono and are bb swivels.

with braid as most use it's so soft that even a bb swivel won't help much.

with the fish on the plug how can it spin and the lure stay stationary,the plug is going to go with the fish.

the angle can change but the lure is locked to the fish.

HH

9 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

In my experience, if the hook mounting point on the plug swivels, I use a trebble hook. Once you connect on a Striper & make your initial contact the striper shakes his head to get loose and often you are looking at a couple of 360s by the time you straighten him (or her) out. 

If you are mounting an in line hook to the same type of swiveling connection point on a plug there's a good chance your hook Point won't be facing in the correct direction on the initial take. The inline hook needs to ride forward on the belly and point up on the tail of a plug.  If it's spinning all over the place during the retrieve it's very hard to get consistent hookups. rather it's kind of hit-or-miss. 

If you are mounting an inline hook to a fixed position mount, this will negate your ability to handle spin during the fight.  the same is true of a treble hook.  you will lose fish because you can't handle rotation. in this scenario the  treble hook still has the advantage because the fish approaches from different directions and you have three potential hooks covering you from all sides. 

Sharpies who fish for bass a lot will rig the belly of a fixed position plug with two swivels not one.  this gives them a little bit of protection when they have to deal with spin during a fight..

If you fish on top a lot with surface plugs,  the problem of rotation during the take increases exponentially.  that's why high-end plugs are fitted with recessed, heavy duty swivels. 

I have been experimenting a great deal with inline hooks for a number of years now.  The bottom line is that they just do not connect as well as a trebble will. 

On any kind of connection point that swivels I will use a trebble. If I'm fishing for Stripers I will almost always remove the treble hook on the tail of theplug & run a flag tail which is  tied from various materials like Bucktail, Synthetics and Flash.  So I'm using one single treble hook in these instances. I'm doing this however because of the swiveling mounting point. 

I will use the in line hook on all sub surface belly mounts that are fixed position.. I will also use the in line hook on all tail mounts that are fixed position -  unless I just opt to put on a flag tail & run the single in line hook on the belly. 

I will do that with Mambo minnows SP minnows bombers in that sort of mass-produced lure. 

I'll run a single in line tailhook on all epoxy jigs and Tins or Metals & eliminate the single Trebble all togther.

When I'm using in line hooks I'm quite certain the hookup rate is a little worse.  But it's far less messy in the plug bag and it's a heck of a lot better for the fish in terms of releasing.

So I would suggest that this debate is less about the hook and more about whether the mounting point swivels or not.  then we have to look at whether we're talking about surface baits or subsurface ones. On a heavier fast sinking Stick Shadd for example, two inline hooks work really well.  This is because the mounting points are fixed location and the Stick Shadd is a deep running subsurface lure.

If the bottom line goal was to catch more fish at all costs then you would want to run swiveling mounting points and trebbles when possible & when you're using fixed position mounting points you will want two split rings & a trebble for belly mounts. 

Is landing the fish at all costs the single most important goal? No way. You have to be able to release the fish successfully & in a way that it will live to fight someone else another day.

So that's where in line hooks really come into play.  we are using them because they work good enough in some applications. Most treble hooks on the tail can be replaced by an inline hook pointing upwards or a flag with no hook at all. 

With very large plugs like Danny Swimmers or Pikies, we might have two swiveling belly mounts - which are perfect for two trebbles & a flag on the tail. 

The goal really should be to reduce your use of trebbles when and where possible if it makes sense.

Quick thought.  The slimmer the vertical (from above or below) the better single belly hooks will perform.  Seems to be my experience, i.e., I have lost more fish on fat plugs than skinny plugs with single on belly (talking bigger plugs).  Small plugs, one single hook seems all you need unless action is compromised.  My experience is not in rough or fast water.  There’s no doubt the conditions and depth can make a difference in how the fish approach and take.  Also, if trying a single belly, you may not want an inline single hook as the swivel swings a regular siwash to run inline (need to test a bit more, so far has worked on Mikes Custom large popper).

I tried a few inlines in the past and had very similar results. Switched to them after one night of dropping quality fish. I soon switched back when I had fewer hookups. 

Also only put them on my SPs and kept trebles on all my wood.