tjr

Replacing trebles with inline hooks?

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone replace the trebles on bombers,sp minnow etc with inline vmc hooks? Does it effect the hookup ratio?

Edited by tjr

John Skinner had a video on this. He dropped a lot of fish with the inline hooks. Another video shot on the same day showed him landing almost all of his fish with treble hooks. He did suggest that it would be better to use a larger size inline hook than treble hook. This combats part of the problem of the single hooks laying against the plugs body and preventing solid hookups.

I felt my SPs swam different without two trebs. When bluefish are about you can't beat inlines. 

I swapped the rear only on the SP to 1/0 in line when blues were around.

Seemed to change the action. Didn't fish it long enough to see if it caught..

52 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

John Skinner had a video on this. He dropped a lot of fish with the inline hooks. Another video shot on the same day showed him landing almost all of his fish with treble hooks. He did suggest that it would be better to use a larger size inline hook than treble hook. This combats part of the problem of the single hooks laying against the plugs body and preventing solid hookups.

I saw that as well.

Can' t understand how or why.   But i found the exact opposite.   Slight decrease in hook up ratio....but much higher landing ratio.

Not knocking skinner at all in any way.  But his experience while poor is based on one outing it seems.

Mine are positive and based on 1000.  In both fresh and salt.

Virtually all my plugs fresh and salt have been swapped to singles.  And that's a crap ton of lures.

It's funny when you take a 20$ lure from japan with rediculously sharp and sticky  hooks...that are so sharp you don't even want to deal with them...and then rip em off in favor of super dull in comparison owner singles  :)

2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I saw that as well.

Can' t understand how or why.   But i found the exact opposite.   Slight decrease in hook up ratio....but much higher landing ratio.

Not knocking skinner at all in any way.  But his experience while poor is based on one outing it seems.

Mine are positive and based on 1000.  In both fresh and salt.

Virtually all my plugs fresh and salt have been swapped to singles.  And that's a crap ton of lures.

Good to know . I'll have to experiment with them this year. First thing is a swim test with some different plugs. I can see changing out sp minnows, bombers etc. but I think I'll stay with trebles on my metal lips, pencils and other larger wooden plugs.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Skinner seemed to be pumping his rod once hooked up more than usual/needed in that video.....I almost felt like he was purposefully trying to fail.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Good to know . I'll have to experiment with them this year. First thing is a swim test with some different plugs. I can see changing out sp minnows, bombers etc. but I think I'll stay with trebles on my metal lips, pencils and other larger wooden plugs.

For the big wood...i went with 9/0 owners.

Pencils I reverted back to trebles unless offshore for tuna where I'm just burning it back 

But that get's expensive......I will say though...fishing some woody sod banks 2 springs ago with some really nice fish around 30's and larger....the big singles kept me from hanging more than guys next to me throwing the same ting.

I also found that to be the case in freshwater...singles hang much less often

On slow sink baits..i size the singles so that the bends of the hooks sit on the bottom and the bait floats them up....almost like legs of a table...it's kinda cool...and makes for a cool presentation

I played with them for a while. I gave up on them with one exception - the rivers, early season by me. The bass like to inhale the plug tail first. They hit really strangely in the cold water. Sometimes you feel a slight bit of weight, sometimes you start to get slack. Set up and the fish is there and has the plug in it's throat. I will use the inlines on the tail spot for that situation. At all other times I felt I was missing too many fish to make it worthwhile.

Good info, I saw the Skinner video and i also got the feeling he was trying to fail with the inlines. I spent the better part of Sunday replacing all the rusted and sketchy hooks and ran out of trebles. Will set up some inlines and test them this spring/summer. 

I replaced trebles with inlines on some SPs and poppers...i found that my hook up ratio was lower too, also i missed a whole lot more with top water plugs than with the SPs. I do like the way the sp swims with inlines but I used 5/0 vmc hooks, will give it another try with a larger size eventually.

Posted (edited)

I tried them last winter on a spook fishing for Jacks and whatever, same amount of attacks but fewer hookups. I was comparing two almost identical small SW spooks. Notice the lack of hook rash on the one with inlines.

P1000306.JPG

Edited by Bogey

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, scoobydoo said:

For the big wood...i went with 9/0 owners.

Pencils I reverted back to trebles unless offshore for tuna where I'm just burning it back 

But that get's expensive......I will say though...fishing some woody sod banks 2 springs ago with some really nice fish around 30's and larger....the big singles kept me from hanging more than guys next to me throwing the same ting.

I also found that to be the case in freshwater...singles hang much less often

On slow sink baits..i size the singles so that the bends of the hooks sit on the bottom and the bait floats them up....almost like legs of a table...it's kinda cool...and makes for a cool presentation

Maybe that illustrates the problem, if they don't hang up they don't stick the fish.