The Riddler

Inflatable PFD and personal locator

50 posts in this topic

Waiting for the Mustang Survival Khimera 22 Hybrid PFD to come out, 8lbs buoyancy uninflated,  22lbs inflated.  No useless pockets or zippers.

Mustag.jpg

Nice hybrid! Is it full auto only? 8#s inherent is decent. I removed about half the foam from an old type three 15lb flotation vest and it still floated my 175lbs. An extra PFD strap can make a difference on any vest.

IMG_20150513_065953617_HDR.jpg

2 mins ago, cheech said:

An extra PFD strap can make a difference on any vest.

True. Most guys don't cinch their side straps snug like they're supposed to, to keep it from riding up in a swim. You don't see that strap often on adult PFDs.

LIKE THE MANUEL SINCE I HAVE NEW KNEES AND FALL IN HALF THE TIME.

I take a 3xl shirt and can't find any LARGE pfd's that will fit on the OUT SIDE of a fall jacket.

Take about stupide, I had the pfd under my coat on a cold trip.

Any Ideas would be great. thanks

Oldgoat, Get some buckle/strap / belt extenders like the large people use on tight jet seating.

2 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Waiting for the Mustang Survival Khimera 22 Hybrid PFD to come out, 8lbs buoyancy uninflated,  22lbs inflated.  No useless pockets or zippers.

Mustag.jpg

Now that looks just about perfect!

2 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Mustag.jpg

Certainly looks like kayakers were involved in the design ... ticks every box (of mine)!     $200 at ACK, a bit steep but comfort and safety are priceless. Tx.

3 mins ago, Africaster said:

Certainly looks like kayakers were involved in the design ... ticks every box (of mine)!     $200 at ACK, a bit steep but comfort and safety are priceless. Tx.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from them on when they might be getting them in

Heard back from ACK.  

Brianna replied

Feb 12, 1:57pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for shopping with ACK! It looks like those were shipped to us on 1/30, so they should be arriving within the next week or so. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Posted (edited)

Great thread.   I'm interested in getting another PFD seeing I've been using the same one from the git go.   I like the look of the one Riddler bought and have always been on the fence with the auto's because of the fail to inflate factor.   I like the personal locator and would definitely like to add it to my safety arsenal.   I think for what Riddler's doing between the two vessels he owns, his purchase makes perfect sense.   If I were to entertain throwing that amount of new coin towards a new PFD and it was an auto, she would have to have a valve stem in case of cartridge failure.  .   

Edited by flylikabird

21 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Mustag.jpg

I have to ask, what's the advantage? I understand that traditional inflatable vests offer less vest when uninflated, which is nice in hot weather. But this one seems to have as much coverage as a typical PFD.  

20 hours ago, cheech said:

Nice hybrid! Is it full auto only? 8#s inherent is decent. I removed about half the foam from an old type three 15lb flotation vest and it still floated my 175lbs. An extra PFD strap can make a difference on any vest.

For kayak surfing I have switched to the Dakine Surface Vest. It does not have enough floatation for CG approval, but plenty to float me around. And I can duck under a wave when I need to. Less bulky, and never rides up. It does fit very snug. Super easy for self rescue, easier to swim in. For fishing I still like a regular PFD, but this is a neat vest.

Image result for dakine surface vest