The Riddler

Inflatable PFD and personal locator

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

11 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I wear an auto inflate Onyx which I converted to manual. Good idea to pick up new cartridges, will do that this week!

 

I've blown it up with the tube in the pool to adjust for optimal fit. The one time I flipped my hand went to the pull tab but my feet touched bottom just before I deployed...would've been a hilarious sight 3 meters off the beach. Asides from being hot in the summer, my NRS Chinook is just so damned cumbersome to fish in, esp when I'm jigging with the rod in front of me. 

Another angler without a failure. I don't know....if bunches say it fails...where the hell are they?  I'm gonna go out on the limb and say there are not bunches of folks who are not having failures.

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, The Riddler said:

Another angler without a failure. I don't know....if bunches say it fails...where the hell are they?  I'm gonna go out on the limb and say there are not bunches of folks who are not having failures.

 

Well, I wouldn't say mine "hasn't failed," the point is you don't know...until you go pull that tab. Even if you tested 10 cartridges, and the rest of your deployment mechanisms all work...the 11th cartridge might fail. That vs a traditional PFD that is pretty much guaranteed to work unless you slip out of it. 

 

Having said that, I accept the risk. I really can't enjoy fishing the way I do with a bulky PFD on, just couldn't do it. Maybe if I lose 50 lbs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, buddha162 said:

 

Well, I wouldn't say mine "hasn't failed,"

 

Has your automatic PFD ever fail to inflate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Has your automatic PFD ever fail to inflate? 

 

No, sorry if I was unclear in my first post: I converted the auto to manual, and haven't inflated it under duress (yet). As far as I know (and hope), everything is working as it should!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have four Mustangs we used on the boat, they deployed on our tests (jumping in), automatically, and were very buoyant,  I tested them occasionally an they always worked. Fabric is very tough, I didn't have a concern about damage the way they wrap up, I also assume they had an expiration date where the fabric is too aged to be usable. I have not had the Whaler out in a couple years (should sell her) and would test and rearm them before putting on boat. I remember screaming to my friends on my boat to get them on as we were coming in a nasty inlet, they were very easy to put on.

All that said I'm a firm believer in standard , as few pockets as possible PFD, as I don't want to assume the "risk" of it working when I need it, and consider them pretty big and in the way trying to get back into a kayak, and they are a once and done thing, if deflated until you rearm, or can blow up partially. If they are the only way some  people can kayak , then it's all good.

It's not that big a risk in my mind, but I like my vest with VHF radio, small light ,knife and cell phone on it nothing else......Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 mins ago, The Riddler said:

 

I think I'll take my chances Kross. I'll wait and see how many kayak anglers come in here with first hand accounts, not reports from folks that are sadly beyond the grave. I don't need to worry about changing a cartridge out because it will be inflated on purpose once a year.

 

Never said you shouldn't. You wanted reports and I provided them. They are not hard to find.

 

There's really no way to know how common failures are. PeopIe just don't actually need or utilize inflatable PFDs that often, of any brand. Personally, I'm happy with a regular PFD. Never heard of those failing. No biggie. 

 

I'm not one of those people who thinks ending up in the water without a PFD is a death sentence, regardless of statistics. IMO, your dry gear or wetsuit is far more important. And physical condition. We are relatively safe. Sailors are and should be a lot more concerned.    

Edited by kross57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good positive feedback works. I'm glad I bought one. I'm going from the kayak and bounce around in the boat once in a while. I will also use it in both scenario's, do a self rescue, report on it and draw conclusions. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, kross57 said:

Never said you shouldn't. You wanted reports and I provided them. They are not hard to find.

 

There's really no way to know how common failures are. PeopIe just don't actually need or utilize inflatable PFDs that often, of any brand. Personally, I'm happy with a regular PFD. Never heard of those failing. No biggie. 

 

I'm not one of those people who thinks ending up in the water without a PFD is a death sentence, regardless of statistics. IMO, your dry gear or wetsuit is far more important. And physical condition.   

I'm still waiting for first hand reports from kayak anglers who have used it and it failed to work. Haven't seen em in here yet, and probably won't but the thread is open for those folks if they are out there. The thread really doesn't pertain to you because you don't have first hand use with the product. Let it go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

No, sorry if I was unclear in my first post: I converted the auto to manual, and haven't inflated it under duress (yet). As far as I know (and hope), everything is working as it should!

 

No, I knew what you meant. Glad it's working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I'm still waiting for first hand reports from kayak anglers who have used it and it failed to work. Haven't seen em in here yet, and probably won't but the thread is open for those folks if they are out there. The thread really doesn't pertain to you because you don't have first hand use with the product. Let it go.

Honestly Riddler. Maybe you have Altzheimer's. 

 

From Riddler a few minutes ago: " I can't even find one case online where there is one report of any brand of Auto inflate where it didn't work. If someone finds something post it here."

 

So, that's what I did. I know you like to argue with me, but this is freaking ridiculous. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, kross57 said:

Honestly Riddler. Maybe you have Altzheimer's. 

 

From Riddler a few minutes ago: " I can't even find one case online where there is one report of any brand of Auto inflate where it didn't work. If someone finds something post it here."

 

So, that's what I did. I know you like to argue with me, but this is freaking ridiculous. 

 

 

Go Away Kross...really.....I got my information from people here in the forum who actually own and use the product. Go away and go back to that river you came out of. We will survive. Thanks.

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Onyx A-24 In-Sight Automatic and went over in my yak last year. Worked as intended and inflated within a few seconds of going in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Go Away Kross...really.....I got my information from people here in the forum who actually own and use the product. Go away and go back to that river you came out of. We will survive. Thanks.

LMAO

 

ladyGet-off-my-lawn-clint.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I saw this posted on another site, I thought it was very informative. Apparently, inflatable PFDs, are not legal for whitewater use in Canada because they are not inherently buoyant. The issues the guy listed are intended for use on rivers (where I "came out of") but most carry over to kayak use. Worth reading.  I woulld imagine the failure to inflate happens rarely. But there are other problems.
Be aware, there are different types of inflatable. Some depend on the water pressure to start inflation. Some use the actual water to dissolve a trigger.
 

"Here are some considerations, if you choose to wear an inflatable PFD on rivers.

- the risk of failure(ie not inflating)

- the risk of rupture( puncturing due rocks, branches and equipment on boat. ie oarlocks, sharp plastic burr on oars)

- increased risk due to the delayed inflation of inflatable pfds.

- due to the lack of straps to secure pfd to torso, they have a tendency to ride up into your face, making it difficult to keep your head above water.

- difficult to manoeuver due to bulk.

- due to the bouyancy in the front of the pfd, it is impossible to use an aggressive swim( front crawl) to get yourself back to your boat or shore quickly.

- difficult to climb back onto your craft due to the bulkiness of the pfd.

- uncomfortable to row in when inflated( inflation due to swim or accidental discharge, you still have to get down the river)

When situations happen on the rivers, they happen quickly, and instantaneous reaction is necessary sometimes. My recommendation is to use a foam PFD, 
many people refer to them as kayak or whiterwater pfds. Western Canoeing in Abbotsford and MEC carry whitewater PFDs. I know nrsweb.com carries a fishing/whitewater pfd as well.

For your foam pfd to be effective all your straps should be snug, to test pull upwards on your shoulder straps(lapels), if they come up over your ears, then you need to tighten the straps more securely.

As I've mentioned before I've been kayaking and rafting for 28 years on mostly class 4 and 5 water, and two of my closest call were on class 2 rapids, due to complacency.

Have fun and keep safe."
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Onyx AM24.

It has the auto-inflate cartridge but can be set to manual-pull only.

I have used it fir surf fishing... especially alone at night.  Any time its sporty or i could get in trouble if i went into the drink I wear it.  There's no possible way I would wear a standard PFD.  The thinness of the inflatable makes it light and unobtrusive.

 

The first week I was using it, I took a normal.splash in the surf...no big deal....medium wave hit and splashed up onto part of my torso.  

 

Ywo hours later im in my vehicle driving to another spot and my PFD is hung on the passenger seat.  All of a sudden...BANG.... there's a gunshot and my heart almost stops.  The vest had inflated.  Apparently the splash sent a small amount of water into the vest and it took a couple of hours to work its way to the trigger mechanism.  Crazy.  Well for me, that is not going to work.  I expect splashes a heck of a lot worse than what i got that day...so i converted the mechanism from auto to manual.

 

Alli can say is carry a replacement cartridge and co2 cylinder and instructions in a ziploc.  If the thing goes off on a surf launch or you take a wave....you dont want to have to wear the thing inflated for the rest of the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.