NewWaveDave

fundy tidal area

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! My wife and I are going to heading down east for about a week this august and we are looking for some tips on fishing the rocks from shore in an area with extreme tides....trying not to be specific as to which state park we are going to be camping at or even which towns we will be near because I know people are protective of spots. Thanks in advance for your time and tips!

Well, you're being vague enough to make answering difficult.  If you're going to really be "Downeast" then you can pretty much write off striped bass because their availability from past Bucksport on up the coast has been inconsistent/nonexistence as of late.  There have been reports of fish in the Penobscot River over the past couple of years, but that seems to be the extreme Northern extent of the fish.  Regardless extreme tides good, find a nice rip and fish hard when the tide is running.

If you're not talking about stripers, then any place that you can comfortably and safely fish will be offering mackerel and harbor pollock for your fishing amusement.  Stick any shiny spoon on a 1/2-sized Sabiki rig and have fun.

Think your shore fishing that far down east may be limited to mackerel, pollack and perhaps flounder. I have caught mackerel from the piers of Eastport and speared flounder as a kid in that area. Don't believe striped bass travel too  much farther north than the Penobscot River. Sure the area affords some good freshwater fishing for trout and bass

There are striped bass in the St Croix and Machias, spring time is usually the best bet. Not as reliable as other areas but they are most definetly there! Very few people fish up there and very few target striped bass, blessing and a curse. You won’t have to deal with anyone crowding you but getting reliable info is near impossible. 

1 hour ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

There are striped bass in the St Croix and Machias, spring time is usually the best bet. Not as reliable as other areas but they are most definetly there! Very few people fish up there and very few target striped bass, blessing and a curse. You won’t have to deal with anyone crowding you but getting reliable info is near impossible. 

Definitely linesiders up that way.  Lived in east Machias for a year...couple of those rivers have small inconsistent runs.....spring time for sure following alewives I think.  Only ran into a few tossing flys for Atlantic salmon.

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much! I have been "researching" fishing for mackerel, harbor pollock and cunner. That and stripers are gonna be on my agenda if possible. I spent years fishing the rocks of northern CA and being out on the rocks again will be good. There don't seem to be a heck of a lot of people up in that area period so i'm sure info in general is scant. kinda sorta near eastport. Anyone here ever go for cunner?

Edited by NewWaveDave

Posted (edited)

LOL, I grew up on LI, NY and Cunner, AKA Bergals, were considered small, obnoxious, bait stealers, wonder how they got the name "cunner", preventing you from catching the desired Blackfish, AKA Tautog.  Now that I live in Maine I will catch cunners while jigging for cod/pollock/haddock, often of "filletable" size.  Since they're from the wrasse family, closely related to Blackfish, the fillets are quite tasty and I'm happy when a catch a few larger ones.  I've come to learn that Maineahs often targeted them for their culinary value, although this seems to have lost favor over the years; I've never heard a local tell me he's going cunner fishing.

So if you're fishing from shore in a rocky area, bait up with clams, squid or sea worms and you're sure to hook up with cunners and maybe luck out with a flounder or two.  With the tidal considerations, you'll have to find a protected area to fish, unless you want to be tossing out 6 oz of lead to hold bottom.

If Eastport is your destination, I'd forget the striper gear, although you might catch an escaped salmon from the many aquaculture operations up there.   

On a side note, make sure you visit FDR's home Campobello Island (bring your passports, it's in Canada) and to score big bonus points with "The Admiral" take her to "Tea with Eleanor".  It's a great place and the tea party is quite informative.

Edited by Roccus7

thank you very much for your thoughtful commentary and tips! Actually going to be camping at cobscook bay and going to try to make a day trip to cutler coast for rock fishing.

Heck, no need to travel to fish, all comments above directly applicable to Cobscook Bay, and there you won't be fighting the wild currents out on the Bay of Funday.  Just find a rocky area that juts out into deep water so the tide doesn't "melt away" from you while fishing.  If you have a decent tidal flow in your "spot" that striper dream may be fulfilled.  I favor fishing the estuaries and back bays more than open water for those striped fishes.

Now this is IMPORTANT, fishing the rocks in Maine is not for the faint-hearted, nor the balance challenged.  They are very slipper so make sure you've got Corkers and/or grippers on your boots.  

In Lubec you can find a couple of charter boats that do whale watching and groundfishing trips if you want to see some whales and maybe catch some larger fish.  In August you stand to see one of the most endangered animals on the planet, the North Atlantic Right Whale.

sounds like potentially a dream come true! Lots of experience rock fishing for me in Humboldt County, CA. No, it is not for the fearful nor those with a defective internal gyroscope. Lingcod, cabezone, green and grass and black and blue rockfish, striped perch, redtail perch, lingcod....these were the most common fish I caught in the rocks of NorCal....usually on squid chunks. Tube or mud worms or shrimp worked well too. Used white twisters with good success as well.

There were fish ( by fish I mean stripers) as far "north" (or east) as Gouldsboro last year.  Given the water temps on the ocean side, you are more likely to find them in estuaries or mud bottom bays and coves.  Plenty of macks and Pollock though.  I used to fish for cunners in MA as a kid.  Never ate them, just catch and release- they would eat a fly.

That is awesome..I know I read a few 20 lbers were caught at a certain dam on the Penobscot last year.. should only get better. I am from up that way and cant wait to see how good it is in a few years, bangor had some nice fish as well.