stripedbassking

Eel rigging Laws

7 posts in this topic

Not sure how others feel but from many people I’ve talked to fishing live eels with circle hooks(by law) causes more gut hooking then other live bait hooks, I wonder if we should push to have live eels as an exception? I know that people wish tube n work without circles and that’s legal I believe???? Thoughts....

I have also had a couple issues gut hooking with live eels.......honestly that was when I first started fishing them about ten years ago....part of the issue was not knowing how to feed a bite and feeling when to set the hook.  Over the years that issue has gone away.  I increased my size circle hook from 5/0 to 7/0 and for a while was using octopus circles.....the couple gut hook fish I had were on those hooks....,.since I’ve gone back to regular circles is has not been an issue.  Personally I wish there was a required class to fish eels haha. I know when I first started fishing them I had no idea what I was doing and killed more fish than I’d like to admit.  At the same time I spent a lot of money on eels that never saw results.....just tangles and headaches.....that was part of my education.  As I mature as a surfcaster I use eels less often and have much more fun catching quality fish on artificials,  but that eel bite is something special!

I had the same issues when I started using them but also had the same problem with live macs and such. Better rods I've upgraded  with more sensitivity has meant all the difference for both styles. Eels r a feel thing for sure but worth the learning curve. Gotta be ready for the hit! With some time spent using them I don't see that they cause more gut hooks. I've always used circle though so hard to be sure 

I started fishing circles 20 years ago when they were off set. Once I switched to in-lines as is required now-no more gut hooking. You can actually bend the offsets in-line with a vice

In line 7 or 8 lot less likely to swallow than smaller hooks and more hook hanging off the eel to grab the lip. When he hits and and starts moving lift your rod, let the hook do the work. Wait to long and the fish will swallow  the eel and hook. No need to reef on the rod to set the hook like we did in the J hook days. You don't set circle hooks they set themselfs. 

4 hours ago, Shorefisher said:

In line 7 or 8 lot less likely to swallow than smaller hooks and more hook hanging off the eel to grab the lip. When he hits and and starts moving lift your rod, let the hook do the work. Wait to long and the fish will swallow  the eel and hook. No need to reef on the rod to set the hook like we did in the J hook days. You don't set circle hooks they set themselfs. 

Definitely the way to do it.  I have a Shimano baitrunner specifically for when I’m fishing eels.  Makes it really easy to set that second drag properly so the fish doesn’t get suspicious but at same time enough tension for that hook to start working, easier to engage the main drag and let the games begin.  I’m ok with eeling with my other reels but the bait runner takes a lot of the play out of it.  For me anyway far less drops.....and healthy releasable hookups.  I’m still on the gears the whole time but personally like training wheels and high rate of success.

Yeah I’ve never had an issue with circles using macks or any other bait, always worked well for me, I just know a lot of guys who fish eels a lot and they’ve found it to be an issue. Maybe beefing up the hook will be the way to go