cow tamer

Inlet (Incoming/Outgoing) - Which is your Favorite?

29 posts in this topic

In his book, Fly Rodding Estuaries, Ed Mitchell picked the outgoing over the incoming as "typically producing the better bite" and is "the stronger of the two currents and therefore more attractive to fish." He does go on to say, "Nevertheless, the incoming can fish well and occasionally is the better bet."

Posted (edited)

26 mins ago, cow tamer said:

In his book, Fly Rodding Estuaries, Ed Mitchell picked the outgoing over the incoming as "typically producing the better bite" and is "the stronger of the two currents and therefore more attractive to fish." He does go on to say, "Nevertheless, the incoming can fish well and occasionally is the better bet."

The current can be different depending on which inlet you fish. There's two inlets where I fish where the current is actually faster and stronger and relates better to particular structure on the incoming, depending on where and what side of the the inlet you are.

But the same inlets produce on the outgoing but in different particular locales and even on different sides of the inlet. 

Wind and weather events also dictate things

Edited by Rainmaker

3 hours ago, cow tamer said:

But in general terms, if you could only target one, which would you pick (incoming or outgoing; both is not an option.)

It truly varies from location to location.

There's one outflow I like to fish where I only fish from about 1/2 hour after high tide until about 2 hours after high tide. After 2 hours, the water gets too skinny.

Another location that I like to fish has an outflow from a large bay. The outgoing can be productive but I prefer fishing the beach on the east side of the outflow during the incoming tide, about 1 hour after low tide until about 1 hour before high tide.

It depends entirely on the inlet. If there is a lot of sand on the bottom, the incoming can work very well as a nice rip forms from the flow of deep water into the bars in the inlet. If the bottom is rock or mixed structure, then water temp or bait are more important to me and so outgoing might fish better. It also depends a lot on depth. Shallow inlets might only fish well on the top of outgoing (or night during the end of incoming) as the skinny water makes fish weary. Deep inlets might have fish moving throw at all tides.

And then of course, you make your plans, think you will do well and get skunked before finding out that the opposite tide is when the fish show up.

10 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

What he said. The inlet I fish is wide, as in the NY Bight and still this applies, especially in the summer when pickings are lean.

11 hours ago, CWitek said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Outgoing early in the season, when the bay is warmer than the ocean, and warm water can trigger more activity.  Incoming during mid-season, when the bay is hot and cooler ocean water can  get things going.  Tend toward outgoing in the fall, with bait exiting the bay, although incoming can also work.

As all other "rules," this one is only for general guidance, and exceptions aren't rare.

3rd for that 

17 hours ago, xjclint said:

It depends entirely on the inlet. If there is a lot of sand on the bottom, the incoming can work very well as a nice rip forms from the flow of deep water into the bars in the inlet. If the bottom is rock or mixed structure, then water temp or bait are more important to me and so outgoing might fish better. It also depends a lot on depth. Shallow inlets might only fish well on the top of outgoing (or night during the end of incoming) as the skinny water makes fish weary. Deep inlets might have fish moving throw at all tides.

And then of course, you make your plans, think you will do well and get skunked before finding out that the opposite tide is when the fish show up.

Dude You might want to try the bottom of the outgoing tide with a sinker lure to drag bottom.  As your lure gos over a hole .BANG!!! BIG FISH WAIT IN HOLES.

depends on the outflow, some fish better in different situations.  Outflow - mouth or just outside the mouth.  Inflow - inside mouth or up estuary more.  I do find it interesting that many folks believe what they are told on how to fish certain areas, instead of mixing it up and trying different approaches.  One location people stack up on outgoing but you can fish alone basically on incoming, and at certain times of the year the incoming is more productive.  Learning what others dont know is half of the fun/adventure!

If I had to choose one it would be outgoing. Bait being pulled out of marshes and where I fish it sets up perfectly with deeper water close to shore for the first 2 hours of outgoing. Some eel grass and a rip as well.

Cow Tamer. You have a lot more posts and probably many more fish on your resume than me, but I’ll add this.... I think I worried way too much before about tides and timelines and everything else. I still like the higher water times because I have had better luck with stripers targeting the areas closer to the grass line. But I am trying to think up different strategies for skinny water - like bumping bottom in the shallow channel at night with live eels. 

Last few years, tides be damned. I just try to move around, hit different depths, changing my offerings mostly to accomplish the depth. I’ll change my retrieve too - usually trying to slow it down even more. Add a teaser or subtract a teaser. I move further out front or usually further in the back when the tide is really ripping and/or the wind is crazy. 

it depends.

that said, my favorite thing in the world is a 2 am turn and the breach way to myself, to float plugs out of the drop...