cow tamer

Inlet (Incoming/Outgoing) - Which is your Favorite?

29 posts in this topic

I know it depends on conditions, the specific inlet, the structure, etc., etc., etc.

But in general terms, if you could only target one, which would you pick (incoming or outgoing; both is not an option.)

Posted (edited)

Spoiler

Outgoing early in the season, when the bay is warmer than the ocean, and warm water can trigger more activity.  Incoming during mid-season, when the bay is hot and cooler ocean water can  get things going.  Tend toward outgoing in the fall, with bait exiting the bay, although incoming can also work.

As all other "rules," this one is only for general guidance, and exceptions aren't rare.

Edited by CWitek

7 mins ago, CWitek said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Outgoing early in the season, when the bay is warmer than the ocean, and warm water can trigger more activity.  Incoming during mid-season, when the bay is hot and cooler ocean water can  get things going.  Tend toward outgoing in the fall, with bait exiting the bay, although incoming can also work.

As all other "rules," this one is only for general guidance, and exceptions aren't rare.

What he said. The inlet I fish is wide, as in the NY Bight and still this applies, especially in the summer when pickings are lean.

I actually like slack tide if I am chunking.  Where I fish the tide is so stinking strong you can't effectively chunk while its running.  For tossing plugs and such I like the incoming tide best where I fish.

One of the areas I fish are more productive on the outgoing, seems there is more bait being sucked out and the way the structure is lined up with drop offs and bars there are more ambush areas for fish to stage themselves on the outgoing. Things change somewhat every year with storms, and a area that has produced one year might not the next, this spot was consistent before Hurricane sandy and now the “honey hole” is 50 yards farther up the beach. 

Both. Moving water, and ambush points is a recipe for success. End of outgoing into incoming would suggest less water and could concentrate fish. 

Also, during moon tides slack could be better than the unusually fast tide. 

for the places that i have fished, very broadly - outgoing early in the year due to the warmer temps. incoming at other times, especially at the peak of the summer temps. but always consider other conditions and adjust as needed.

ps - often, the best time to fish is when you can, conditions can be ignored. deal with the hand that you're dealt.

Really depends on what the water does/behaves at particular structure points for me more than anything as the water moves past it and what is down current as far as structure and water depth. One thing does not necessarily work on both tides the same way.

Early on in the season I'll consider water temperature and weather.

Back bays are a food pump. Outgoing will pull enough of the food out that predators know and will hang for the food.