blazin

Rod/Reel Setups for new boat

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, first time poster here. I am taking delivery of a 21' center console and am looking for some recommendations for rod/reel setups for the boat. I am an avid salt and freshwater fly fisherman but I don't know much when it comes to selecting spin fishing gear.

I am based in NJ and will be targeting stripers/albies/blues along the NJ and southern new england coast. I am not a bait fisherman so I expect I will be throwing a variety of top water poppers/pencils, swimmers, metal lures, soft baits and bucktail jigs. 

For rods I have been looking at the E6X, Pro Green, and Pro Blue from Loomis, and the Teramar Northeast inshore from Shimano. 

For reels I am looking at the saragosa and stradic from shimano. 

I am open to other options for brands/models and definetly need some help with selecting the proper length/power/action and matching the proper reel size. 

I am planning to pick up 2-3 setups initially to cover a range of lure sizes and then can expand from there if I need to.

Thanks!

I really like the teremars.

Also daiwa makes an 8 foot proteus rod that is spectacular.  Great for pluggin...great action

Nice deep bend.

Throws up to 4 ounces

Gosa's are great all around reels.  6000 size should cover a ton of applications.

Love my gosa's for surfcasting. Never really used spinning gear on a boat, mostly conventional gear. I have a 6'6" st Croix mojo salt paired with a shimano tekota 300 for some of the lighter stuff, and a 6'3"  ugly stick tiger light paired with a shimano tld charter special 2000 for a little heavier stuff. Love both setups. Last spring we got into blues pretty thick one day and my mojo pulled in a few dozen in the 12 lb range without batting an eye.

I’ve mainly been a surf fisherman and use Penn reels.  I just get a boat rod like the Penn Ally series and match to my SSV’s.  Once the SSV’s give up the ghost I will replace with Slammer IIIs.  A lot of time on boats I also use Penn Fathoms 30 or 40 class and paired with the casting Ally’s also - 6’6” -7 ft boat rods.   Sounds like you’ve already made your decision so best of luck to you.

I have a Teramar 7’ heavy specifically for tossing eels and large plugs/ soft plastics up to 4 ounces or so. I like it a lot. Very light and has great action for a wide range of lure weights.

Stradics are good reels and I’ve fished them almost exclusively for several years, but my one complaint is that the roller bearing wears out in a season. From what I’ve seen on the interwebs, it’s quite a process (difficult) to get the bearing out of the roller in order to replace it with a higher quality one. Probably more practical to get a new roller assembly from Shimano if the need arises. 

I fish out of Fire Island Inlet, NY, and cast for everything from weakfish to false albacore/skipjack/dolphin, and even some small tuna, offshore.

My reels are all Stradics or Sustains.  The rods are a mix of Loomis, Star, St. Croix and those that I've built on Lamiglas blanks.  I'm less interested in the make of the rods--all of the companies mentioned put out decent stuff--and more concerned with rods that do what needs to be done.  Generally, I like an assortment that includes one in the 6 1/2-foot range, 3/8-3/4 or maybe 3/8-1 oz lures for bucktailing in the bays for weakfish, small blues, fluke, etc., one 7-footer rated for 3/4-1 1/2 oz for tossing plugs inside, and one 7-footer rated for something like 1-3 for bigger lures and for grunting up larger fish in deep water where they go down deep and do circles, and you need some backbone to pump them up.

Teramars and trevala rods with spheros or Saragosa.  All shimano.   And then you can have your stradic or sustain paired with an e6x or pro green.  Love em  

Someone mentioned the ugly stick tiger lite already. That is an insanely nice boat rod for short money. The star aerial “jetty spinning” ex1020s70e is another that comes to mind. These are bother well under $70 each. For throwing plugs and jigs these would be ideal.    If i had to pick one it would be the star i mentioned. Dont be put off the the “jetty spinning” designation. Its an insanely nice stick for inshore. As far as reels go i was never impressed with the $150 and up category. I do well with battle 2 and boca reels. If i had to have something “better” i could see myself buying clash and cabo reels but that would be the tops of what i would ever spend on a single reel. Although you dont want to baitfish, i wouldnt be without a baitrunner setup. You never know if you may run into an opportunity to fish live bait and you will really like a baitrunner for that. Best of luck with your new boat.

i use the $129 Trevala rods and Avet sx for everything . Fluke ,sea bass and eels for stripers at night . Great all around set up . Then i have the Penn Carnage Rods with the Avet Lx for trolling . 

i would  see what you have for storage as far as length . Its always nicer having a clear deck on the way in or out 

E6x for spinning and the sloopster casting rod you can pair it with a g2 or new torium 

The Shimano Saragossa 5000 is a good choice for a spinning reel, covers a lot of inshore fishing.  The Shimano Baitrunner 6000 for live lining. You will be snagging bunker and live lining off of the boat, its just part of the game during the season and the bait runner is great for that.   I'm fond of the Lamiglas TFX series rods, both the spinning and casting models!!   I use Avet reels for the casting rods.

Best of luck during the up and coming season.

See you out there, Lami

"The Hook and Ladder"