yemista

BST forums

19 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever gotten scammed on the BST forums? I have a strong feeling I recently did. I never received my package and the tracking number returns no results, as if it never even left the post office. Any advice on what to do? 

Posted (edited)

I'd talk to an mod pronto if you actually think you were scammed. It would really suck if you were, hopefully its just a misunderstanding or accident and can be sorted out.

Edited by Sandbar1

Mercifully, I've not been scammed.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Maybe consider posting this in the BST Discussions Forum to get some moderators to help out? 

Im going to talk with the post office before doing anything drastic. I  received a tracking number and the guy claims he checked it and it said it was delivered. There are a few possibilities:

1. Lost in the mail(super unlikely, but I acknowledge its possible)

2. Tracking number was deleted from the system because i should have received it around October-November(this is what I need to confirm, how long they  store tracking numbers)

3. It was never sent

As for option 2, I am least inclined to believed this because when I search the tracking number, I get a message saying there are no updates, not a message saying the tracking number doesnt exist, but its best to try to get as much information  as possible ahead of time. I  dont like to wrongly accuse others of things.

The thing is, regardless of political beliefs and other beliefs, I  always felt we all respect each other as part of the community and are good to our words, so I really hope I am wrong about my suspicion.

And for the most part that's true. Was it a well established member you made the deal with?

I do remember a little less than a year ago there was an individual with several fake accounts selling items of a dubious nature. I believe he made a number of accounts at the time and had a number of stories that didn't add up. I believe TimS put out an sort of alert to everyone at the time to be watchful of such behavior.

48 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

And for the most part that's true. Was it a well established member you made the deal with?

He seems to be established enough, though I dont want to name names without more evidence

Talk to Tim, I thought that the seller was responsible for making sure the package gets to you. He should be looking into what happened 

October/November was a long time ago. Your window of opportunity with USPS May have expired. 

I once checked the status of a VS reel, and USPS said it was “lost”. It arrived just fine a week later than expected. 

Hope this works out for you. 

If t never arrived, i would believe that responsibility falls on the seller. As it would with any online purchase. If you paid via paypal you may be able to file a dispute to get your $$ back if it gets to that point.

I think there is a window of time to file a dispute with PayPal. I only had to do it once, and it was with a reel manufacturer! That wasn’t a great experience. 

5 mins ago, ged said:

I think there is a window of time to file a dispute with PayPal. I only had to do it once, and it was with a reel manufacturer! That wasn’t a great experience. 

I got scammed once (not on this forum). Guy took my payment but never shipped. Dealing with Paypal couldn't have been easier. They gave the guy so many days to respond to my complaint (I forget the exact number) and when he didn't they refunded me without question. 

To the OP, 4 months is a little long to wait. I see it was a trade so no PayPal involved. I don't think they'd do anything this long after the fact anyway. As to USPS tracking info, here's what Google says:

USPS Package Tracking 
How long is Delivery information available? 
We keep records for the amount of time specified below before they are purged out of our system. Information for Delivery Confirmation, Signature Confirmation, Certified and Registered mail is moved to off-line (archive) storage after 60 days. Information for Express Mail, Global Express Mail and Global Express Guarantee is moved to off-line storage after 90 days. Full event information can be restored upon request.
Delivery Confirmation service - 6 months.
Signature Confirmation service - 1 year.
Express Mail, Certified Mail and Registered Mail - 2 years.

So it looks like your tracking number won't be available online, but they can retrieve it if you contact them.  

October- November? I wouldn’t consider that recent; you have been waiting 3-4 months for something you paid for? Hope it works out but that sounds outrageous to me. I would definitely message timS 

Unfortunately, there isn't much that Tim can do in the event that you did get scammed, beyond blocking the seller from using the BST forum. I don't handle the BST, as I'm not familiar with how it works---the site is 18+ years old, and that forum has to be 15 at least, and, rules evolve over time. Derrick T is the mod, with Tim of course being the final arbiter.