JoeyZac

2017 End of Year Review

21 posts in this topic

Finally got around to putting it together.  2017 is over, and 2018 starts in 3 weeks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

Good going JZ. How far out for the tuna?

 

This year, 40 for the Bluefin, 55 for some of the Yellowfin, Lindy/Wilmy/Spencer (80) for the other Yellowfin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good video.

 

You need to teach 'Irish Commander' stare the fish in the eye when gaffing and stop ****ing up with loin shots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

55, 80 miles seems like a crazy distance for your boat.

 

55 on my boat (23' with the ETEC), 80 on the other boat 25' Parker.

 

Just gotta be absolutely unyielding about only picking the best days.  If it's not 2' at 8 seconds or better (preferably 1 at 10), then we don't go.

 

But yeah, it's far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats what i do i have a 25 foot well craft Cuddy . I been out but not quite that far but getting closer to the 50 mark . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whitey said:

Thats what i do i have a 25 foot well craft Cuddy . I been out but not quite that far but getting closer to the 50 mark . 

 

Well, I'm not saying we "want" to go 50+ out, but here's what happens almost every time........

 

We head for the inshore lumps, 25 miles out, hoping to find bluefin there, and they're not.

So we go to the midshore wreck area 30 miles out, and they're not there.

Then we go to the next spot, 40 miles out, but nope, not there.

Then 50 out, where they had them last week, and yep, that bite has moved on.

Then troll East towards the Lumps.

Then what the hell, we're already 55 out, the Claw is only another 7, so we troll to it.

Next thing you know, it's 4:00, we're 62 miles out, and we're looking at one another saying "Isn't this exactly what we said we're not going to do?........"

 

But then you catch a Tuna, and you don't care how far out you are. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

 

Well, I'm not saying we "want" to go 50+ out, but here's what happens almost every time........

 

We head for the inshore lumps, 25 miles out, hoping to find bluefin there, and they're not.

So we go to the midshore wreck area 30 miles out, and they're not there.

Then we go to the next spot, 40 miles out, but nope, not there.

Then 50 out, where they had them last week, and yep, that bite has moved on.

Then troll East towards the Lumps.

Then what the hell, we're already 55 out, the Claw is only another 7, so we troll to it.

Next thing you know, it's 4:00, we're 62 miles out, and we're looking at one another saying "Isn't this exactly what we said we're not going to do?........"

 

But then you catch a Tuna, and you don't care how far out you are. :p

Joey,

       Your above scenario hit it right on the head and the reason I gave up on tuna. I had a 26' BlackWatch with a pair of 4cyl Yanmar Diesels. Fast (29knots all day long) sipped fuel, comfortable and trolled nicely. We got spoiled fishing out of Shinny when fish were 11 miles off the beach. We could hit other "inshore" structure at 20, 30, 40 miles with pretty good chances of 100# class fish, white marlin, etc. I could hit the Tails or Dip (60 miles) no problem for some real nice day trips. Then the fish got smaller and further and further out. A good day became 3 50# class fish and running 70-80 miles. It just wasn't worth to me anymore. I do sometimes miis setting out the spread at dawn in fishy water and there is no sound like a few 50Ws screaming drag. Good hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You nailed it.  Going back 6-7 years, we could very reliably go out 30-40 miles, and expect to catch a nice sized bluefin.  By "nice," I mean a good eating, plenty big 50lb pound.  Plenty of meat for 2 people.

 

Now?  We're going further and further and further, and while we usually do find a way to get something by the end of the day, it isn't what it should be.

 

But ya' only live once, and on those flat days, it sure beats going to work, or sitting on the reef for flounder and crying with everyone else "no drift, no bite."

 

And when the whole spread goes down, there's nothing else like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I miss the days long ago when  we could run out to the sea isle ridge in October and catch as many 30 lb footballs as you could stand to crank in.

 

Joey.... did you do any drum fishing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Man I miss the days long ago when  we could run out to the sea isle ridge in October and catch as many 30 lb footballs as you could stand to crank in.

 

Joey.... did you do any drum fishing?

 

Yep, the big one who's guts are in my sig pic came from just north of there, about 30 miles out.

 

Tried for Drum several times this Spring, and didn't even get 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.