JoeyZac

2017 End of Year Review

21 posts in this topic

Finally got around to putting it together.  2017 is over, and 2018 starts in 3 weeks!

1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

Good going JZ. How far out for the tuna?

This year, 40 for the Bluefin, 55 for some of the Yellowfin, Lindy/Wilmy/Spencer (80) for the other Yellowfin.

Good video.

You need to teach 'Irish Commander' stare the fish in the eye when gaffing and stop ****ing up with loin shots

19 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

55, 80 miles seems like a crazy distance for your boat.

55 on my boat (23' with the ETEC), 80 on the other boat 25' Parker.

Just gotta be absolutely unyielding about only picking the best days.  If it's not 2' at 8 seconds or better (preferably 1 at 10), then we don't go.

But yeah, it's far.

Thats what i do i have a 25 foot well craft Cuddy . I been out but not quite that far but getting closer to the 50 mark . 

1 hour ago, whitey said:

Thats what i do i have a 25 foot well craft Cuddy . I been out but not quite that far but getting closer to the 50 mark . 

Well, I'm not saying we "want" to go 50+ out, but here's what happens almost every time........

We head for the inshore lumps, 25 miles out, hoping to find bluefin there, and they're not.

So we go to the midshore wreck area 30 miles out, and they're not there.

Then we go to the next spot, 40 miles out, but nope, not there.

Then 50 out, where they had them last week, and yep, that bite has moved on.

Then troll East towards the Lumps.

Then what the hell, we're already 55 out, the Claw is only another 7, so we troll to it.

Next thing you know, it's 4:00, we're 62 miles out, and we're looking at one another saying "Isn't this exactly what we said we're not going to do?........"

But then you catch a Tuna, and you don't care how far out you are. :p

14 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Well, I'm not saying we "want" to go 50+ out, but here's what happens almost every time........

We head for the inshore lumps, 25 miles out, hoping to find bluefin there, and they're not.

So we go to the midshore wreck area 30 miles out, and they're not there.

Then we go to the next spot, 40 miles out, but nope, not there.

Then 50 out, where they had them last week, and yep, that bite has moved on.

Then troll East towards the Lumps.

Then what the hell, we're already 55 out, the Claw is only another 7, so we troll to it.

Next thing you know, it's 4:00, we're 62 miles out, and we're looking at one another saying "Isn't this exactly what we said we're not going to do?........"

But then you catch a Tuna, and you don't care how far out you are. :p

Joey,

Your above scenario hit it right on the head and the reason I gave up on tuna. I had a 26' BlackWatch with a pair of 4cyl Yanmar Diesels. Fast (29knots all day long) sipped fuel, comfortable and trolled nicely. We got spoiled fishing out of Shinny when fish were 11 miles off the beach. We could hit other "inshore" structure at 20, 30, 40 miles with pretty good chances of 100# class fish, white marlin, etc. I could hit the Tails or Dip (60 miles) no problem for some real nice day trips. Then the fish got smaller and further and further out. A good day became 3 50# class fish and running 70-80 miles. It just wasn't worth to me anymore. I do sometimes miis setting out the spread at dawn in fishy water and there is no sound like a few 50Ws screaming drag. Good hunting.

You nailed it.  Going back 6-7 years, we could very reliably go out 30-40 miles, and expect to catch a nice sized bluefin.  By "nice," I mean a good eating, plenty big 50lb pound.  Plenty of meat for 2 people.

Now?  We're going further and further and further, and while we usually do find a way to get something by the end of the day, it isn't what it should be.

But ya' only live once, and on those flat days, it sure beats going to work, or sitting on the reef for flounder and crying with everyone else "no drift, no bite."

And when the whole spread goes down, there's nothing else like it.

Man I miss the days long ago when  we could run out to the sea isle ridge in October and catch as many 30 lb footballs as you could stand to crank in.

Joey.... did you do any drum fishing?

13 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Man I miss the days long ago when  we could run out to the sea isle ridge in October and catch as many 30 lb footballs as you could stand to crank in.

Joey.... did you do any drum fishing?

Yep, the big one who's guts are in my sig pic came from just north of there, about 30 miles out.

Tried for Drum several times this Spring, and didn't even get 1.