Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patrickjohn2014

Issue with tying bucktail jigs

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys so I got into tying jigs this winter. I paint them and epoxy the heads and all that.

My problem is when I check them out in a bucket or the sink, pull them out some the hair forms a perfect tear drop and others the hair flairs out into points. I love the tear drop look and wondering what I am doing right to achieve this and what am I doing wrong to get the tips. I know it’s a matter of hair stacking but does anyone have any advice? I have attached a pic of what I am talking about. The midde one is what I’m looking for. The other two are flared out into the tips 

A4598ED1-E73A-44F9-93DA-C171D8A80196.jpeg

I think distribution is the solution.  Do you tie bunches on each side of the hook or just the top and bottom? 

You may already be doing this but.....maybe try tying in smaller bunches of material with a few loose wraps and pinch the material to distribute a bit before locking down. 

When I refurbish my BTs - I like to use a thinner thread and lay down smaller bunches of material. First at 12, 3, 6, & 9 o clock...lock it down good and cement.  Then a second pass at 1.5, 4.5, 7.5, 10.5...repeat.  Add one or two additional if needed, add flash then use a thicker thread top it all off.

I think using less material per bunch (but a few more bunches) is easier to work with and makes it more durable. 

Have you ever had a BT jig where after using a bit you can pull the fibers off without much effort?  That is a symptom of tying bundles that are large.

Hope this helps - the black jig looks killer.

Technically there's no wrong way to tie a bucktail. I tie mine for slow drifts in fast current. I'm not going to tell a guy 1500 miles away from here how to tie his.

FB_IMG_1518309901826.jpg

I assume that you're tyin a few successive bunches up the shank? If that's the case, you just need to create a taper. I'd suggest making each successive tie as you progress forward a little bit shorter to create a solid taper; your longest tie should probably be your first tie or the "tail." Also, it looks like you're doing it already, but always have equal distribution 360 degrees around the shank. 

You'll want to free up as many of those deer tail tips as possible and don't let your next wrap constrict the previous one.

Hopefully some of that helps. 

Hair cut off the tail closest the Deer's rump is hollow and thicker. Because of this it will flair as the thread is pulled tight.  Hairs from the middle and end of the tail will lay flatter because they are finer.  Looser thread wraps also will stop the hair from flaring. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. I think I figured it out. I have been building up the collar wirh more thread and when I tye the thread I tie hard on the top of the collar and go light by the bottom of the collar to reduce the flair. Jigs have been coming out the exact way I like them now 

892CA290-F699-4EC0-BA92-C4AF8090F7C6.jpeg

951810B1-2A1D-4164-AE0C-989716442F6B.jpeg

Edited by patrickjohn2014

17 hours ago, patrickjohn2014 said:

Thanks guys. I think I figured it out. I have been building up the collar wirh more thread and when I tye the thread I tie hard on the top of the collar and go light by the bottom of the collar to reduce the flair. Jigs have been coming out the exact way I like them now 

892CA290-F699-4EC0-BA92-C4AF8090F7C6.jpeg

951810B1-2A1D-4164-AE0C-989716442F6B.jpeg

You pour those heads ?? If so what mold 

11 hours ago, patrickjohn2014 said:

I did not pour these. These are Joe Baggs bullets 

Yea thought so.. been hunting for that mold or jetty caster mold. Not easy to find without spending big bucks .. 

On 2/13/2018 at 1:51 AM, patrickjohn2014 said:

Jigs have been coming out the exact way I like them now 

Nice work.

I would add that the goal should be to tie them the way the fish like them verses the way you like them. I've been pleasantly surprised at times fishing something that I didn't think turned out correctly. Matter of fact, I saved a couple mistakes that turned out to be killers that I fished until the hooks rusted off. I'm going to try to duplicate whatever I did "wrong" . Your flared ones may end up presenting the right profile at the right time some day or may stay in the zone better under certain conditions.