rst3

LL Bean Lifetime Return Policy Scrapped

78 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I think they should honor their policy. 

I personally wouldn't bother going in there to replace a pair of jeans, not worth it. 

Of course I wouldn't buy jeans there to begin with. That's not why I go in there.

Still, if they offer a policy, it is the policy. How is it abuse to take what they offer?

I don't think you are abusing their policy.  But, I think that they probably never intended the policy to be interpreted the way that you interpret it... but that is just my interpretation.  Ultimately, the fact that individual people can have different interpretations of what that old policy covered, is proof that it wasn't very well defined... and probably why they have taken steps to define it, now.

I'm keeping the llbean visa since it has a decent rate, ha for now, but I'm unsubscribing to the constant "harbor freight" type email barrage. 

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, Slacker said:

I don't think you are abusing their policy.  But, I think that they probably never intended the policy to be interpreted the way that you interpret it... but that is just my interpretation.  Ultimately, the fact that individual people can have different interpretations of what that old policy covered, is proof that it wasn't very well defined... and probably why they have taken steps to define it, now.

I said a few times already, how ever it was interpreted, it was from another era and not good sense financially for this day and age.

I have no trouble with them stopping it to stay afloat. 

I wish they didn't play up the abuse angle.

I'm sad to see the end to old time service in another venue.

I don't like their stores, catalogs or products enough to continue to support them without the policy that set them apart.

Cabelas is a few exits down. Easier access, more fishing gear and a decent fish tank. Nice eating place across plaza, no Freeport traffic. 

No more catalogs of ladies sweaters either. 

Edited by mikez2

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Cabelas is a few exits down. Easier access, more fishing gear and a decent fish tank. Nice eating place across plaza, no Freeport traffic. 

No more catalogs of ladies sweaters either. 

Cabelas had a lifetime warranty back when you bought your jacket and boots at Beans. I'm sure at cheaper prices.

They got rid of it 8 years ago. But I guess people still shop there.  

As a kid growing up llbean like Disney was an American institution that held itself to the highest ideals. I was proud of both and considered them the model of the American business. As an adult I see how Disney fell from grace long ago. Beans had a good run

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Cabelas had a lifetime warranty back when you bought your jacket and boots at Beans. I'm sure at cheaper prices.

They got rid of it 8 years ago. But I guess people still shop there.  

There was no Cabelas store near by back then.

I used the Cabelas catalog as a replacement for the Bean catalog for lures and smaller items way back in the 90s but didn't buy things like boots or jackets mailorder. Some things you need to feel and try on.

In all honesty I was never aware of Cabelas warranty back then. I bought big stuff local or at Beans.

Now of course Cabelas stores are close and I do buy big ticket stuff there. As we speak Im wearing steel toed work boots I bought there. They are excellent, comfortable, dry, going on 3 years of 40 hours a week wet work. When they are retired, I feel like I got my money's worth, they'll be tossed.

I did have a recent long drawn out customer service interaction with Cabelas just this Christmas and I was so happy in the end I made a point of emailing my appreciation. 

Who knows where the future lies. My favorite local shop closed last year after decades.

Dicks is Dicks.

BPS bought Cabelas. 

Beans is irrelevant. 

I have to buy shiners from the bicycle repair guy - if he happens to be open and worms at the convenience store - when they have them.

I doubt anyplace offers an unqualified lifetime warranty anymore. Retail is a tough, constantly changing business. Frankly i dont see how an unconditional warranty is sustainable these days. Amazed llbean didnt rescind it long ago.

I just looked at the new rain jacket that they gave me to replace the $200.00 one from before.

It's made in Bangladesh, the quality and workmanship appear about Kmart level, maybe a $50.00 jacket in most stores.

Not a remote chance in hell that thing lasts 20 years, let alone a person's lifetime. 

In my opinion this is the real reason they had to drop the guarantee. 

I had a pair of their signature boots that I got about 12 years out of before they were completely worn out.  My friend kept telling me to return them for a new pair.  I couldn't do it and still sleep nights.  I got my money's worth out of them many times over.  

Two years ago my neighbor showed me an LL Bean leather duffle bag he picked up at a yard sale that was in wretched shape, I wouldn't put bait in it, said he picked it up for a dollar and was going to take it to LL Bean and exchange it for a new one.  Sure enough, the following week he showed me a brand new leather duffle.  They listed at $250 at the time, now $299.  The handwriting was on the wall and good for Bean in curtailing this outright theft.

18 mins ago, shuyak said:

Two years ago my neighbor showed me an LL Bean leather duffle bag he picked up at a yard sale that was in wretched shape, I wouldn't put bait in it, said he picked it up for a dollar and was going to take it to LL Bean and exchange it for a new one.  Sure enough, the following week he showed me a brand new leather duffle.  They listed at $250 at the time, now $299.  The handwriting was on the wall and good for Bean in curtailing this outright theft.

I totally agree this is wrong and sleezy. 

I don't equate it with me spending a ****load of money and only returning things I'm sincerely not satisfied with. 

Having said that, show me where the yardsale scam costs Beans one extra penny.

The lifetime warranty was their policy, they have to honor it.

If the item was originally purchased at full price, it costs exactly the same to replace no matter who carries it in.

If anything, it might increase sales.

The first guy who didn't return it will be back plus now yardsale guy is inside the store. Most people will spend something once in there.

Once again, it was the policy going back 100 years (i think). It was a huge selling point that made them stand out. It's silly to say you couldn't sleep for guilt for using the policy they choose to offer.

Reminds me of those bosses who say using sick time is abusing the attendance policy. 

I know guys that have not bought a new pair of waders since the 1970's!! They wear them for a few years, when they start to leak they just return them and get a new pair. Think about, that's nuts!!

1 hour ago, Sea Flat said:

I know guys that have not bought a new pair of waders since the 1970's!! They wear them for a few years, when they start to leak they just return them and get a new pair. Think about, that's nuts!!

Just curious, nevermind the guarantee, how many seasons do you think is reasonable for $300.00 waders?

Since Bean waders leak at least as fast if not faster than $80.00 waders from Dicks, why would anyone pay $300.00 for Bean's?

The logo?

Of course not. It is, or was, the guarantee. 

8 mins ago, Gwiz said:

It's products life not costumers life.

That makes no sense. 

We warranty it until it dies?

Well, duh, you don't need the warranty UNTIL it dies!

I realize there are companies who have that written into their warranty. Basically a way to not give a warranty beyond legal requirements but still claim to be giving a warranty.

Bean's warranty was never interpreted that way. If it was, they've had thousands of employees doing returns incorrectly for many decades.

Did they just catch on?