rst3

LL Bean Lifetime Return Policy Scrapped

78 posts in this topic

I don't think reasonable people ever considered a lifetime warranty on a T shirt to mean YOUR lifetime.  Reasonable people know that the lifetime of a T shirt is about 3 years.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, mikez2 said:

There went the only reason to overpay for their name brand.

Previously I always went to them for big ticket items like ice fishing boots and rain jackets.

In fact, I just returned one of each, both over 20 years old and both legit worn out.

Now I know why I got attitude

Obviously they don't have to have such a return policy, they used it as a selling point.

It was the only thing that made their prices worth it.

Without that selling point, I will never buy from them again. 

20+ year old jacket and boots returned?  

What were the terms of the original warranty?  I’m just curious...don’t think i’ve Ever seen it.

Edited by FoliFish

10 hours ago, FoliFish said:

20+ year old jacket and boots returned?  

What were the terms of the original warranty?  I’m just curious...don’t think i’ve Ever seen it.

Life time, no questions asked.

How it's always been.

It wears out, they replace it.

It was their program, not me taking advantage of them.

It's why I was willing to pay a little more even though quality not top line.

I’ve never actually seen the policy and can’t find it.  I’ve heard the stories of returns many many years after purchase and always wondered if those were the actual terms of the policy or how they were interpreted.  Too bad it had to end, but not surprised if this was their standard.

Weird that I should feel guilty or need to justify but here's how it worked for me;

My parents live in Maine so for decades, trips to visit nana and gramps included a side trip to Beans.

Early, before Dicks and BPS etc, Bean carried decent selection of fishing gear, plus quality outdoor gear like ice fishing boots and high end rain gear.

Even though I'm poor, a trip into Beans always meant a big ole sack o' loot. Lures, rods, knives, hats, tee shirts, books and gifts.

I never returned any of that stuff nor felt the need.

The big ticket stuff like the boots and rain jacket, both two bills back in the day, were way more than a young working man could justify. The return policy took the sting out of the investment. 

I never returned anything i didn't buy myself nor try to get more than it was worth. Anything I returned was totally, visibly worn out.

Every time in there, I spent more $$$ on stuff I would not return. 

The return policy is a big part of how they got where they did. No doubt it was not financially sound in the 21st century. I'm not surprised they have to back off it.

What bugs me is how they are talking up the abuse. I bet they could get around the abuse if that was really why they struggle. 

Maybe stop wasting $$$$$ on five billion catalogs full of ladies' sweaters mailed to a bunch of outdoorsmen?

I think llbean has been in trouble for awhile. They are desperate to gain market share by continuing to open more retail stores, not outlets, in the face of decreasing retail traffic, who knows how that will work out but I don't think the future looks good for them. My confidence is gone without their longstanding policy. The free shipping to everyone was crazy to sustain, but why not a reasonable flat rate? Couldn't they clamp down on fraud by requiring a receipt and continuing their lifetime guarantee? I'm sure they are able to write off all these bad returns anyway, correct? I think the end is coming, too bad.

4 mins ago, ChuckieP said:

I think llbean has been in trouble for awhile. They are desperate to gain market share by continuing to open more retail stores, not outlets, in the face of decreasing retail traffic, who knows how that will work out but I don't think the future looks good for them. My confidence is gone without their longstanding policy. The free shipping to everyone was crazy to sustain, but why not a reasonable flat rate? Couldn't they clamp down on fraud by requiring a receipt and continuing their lifetime guarantee? I'm sure they are able to write off all these bad returns anyway, correct? I think the end is coming, too bad.

They still have free shipping on purchases over $50 (with them it is hard to have a purchase under $50)... and free shipping on all purchases if you use their credit card.

They have no trouble keeping 5 billion mailing addresses in their data  base, why not a permanent sales record data base. 

Life time guarantee, life time receipt. 

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

They still have free shipping on purchases over $50 (with them it is hard to have a purchase under $50)... and free shipping on all purchases if you use their credit card.

The free shipping was the reason I got the llbean visa to begin with and then they gave free shipping to anyone regardless of payment type. Every rinky dink onliner now offers free shipping on orders over $50 so what now sets llbean apart?? Nothing in my mind. Next the flagship store will reduce hours to 9-5, m- fri.

I'm interested in how people look at this warranty.  Do you guys really think that you should be able to buy 1 pair of blue jeans in 2018 and that the retailer should continue to replace them for the next 50 years of your lifetime?

A pair of blue jeans costs about $40 bucks (from anywhere)... say they last 5 years... with replacement like that, the first pair should probably cost $400.

4 mins ago, ChuckieP said:

The free shipping was the reason I got the llbean visa to begin with and then they gave free shipping to anyone regardless of payment type. Every rinky dink onliner now offers free shipping on orders over $50 so what now sets llbean apart?? Nothing in my mind. Next the flagship store will reduce hours to 9-5, m- fri.

For me, the only thing that sets them apart is that they have tall sizes for most of what they sell.

I have their Visa.  The only time I ever used it was for the free shipping.  I almost dumped it when they went to free shipping for everyone.  But seriously, what are you going to buy from Bean that is going to cost less than $50... gonna order 1 tee shirt or a pair of socks?  LMAO.

6 hours ago, FoliFish said:

I’ve never actually seen the policy and can’t find it.  I’ve heard the stories of returns many many years after purchase and always wondered if those were the actual terms of the policy or how they were interpreted.  Too bad it had to end, but not surprised if this was their standard.

I think it's written as a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

I guess some people aren't satisfied if their boots and jacket only last 20 years.  

6 mins ago, Slacker said:

I'm interested in how people look at this warranty.  Do you guys really think that you should be able to buy 1 pair of blue jeans in 2018 and that the retailer should continue to replace them for the next 50 years of your lifetime?

A pair of blue jeans costs about $40 bucks (from anywhere)... say they last 5 years... with replacement like that, the first pair should probably cost $400.

I think they should honor their policy. 

I personally wouldn't bother going in there to replace a pair of jeans, not worth it. 

Of course I wouldn't buy jeans there to begin with. That's not why I go in there.

Still, if they offer a policy, it is the policy. How is it abuse to take what they offer?

I would buy clothes that I liked and if I never wore would return a year or two later. They get the time value of my money and then the sale again of the item as returned in an outlet store or online at 50% or more of the original price.. I never returned a item that worn out long term due to heavy use and I have always kept every receipt from llbean. I have three shoe boxes full of them. Guess where that is going. Up in smoke. Fu llsukbean

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

I think it's written as a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

I guess some people aren't satisfied if their boots and jacket only last 20 years.  

Exactly!

If the policy is lifetime, $200.00 (90s $s) rain jacket you wear a few times a year damn well better not leak in 20 years.

If it does, replace with a smile as per your founder's long established tradition.