N. Shore Mass- Looking for info!

Rate this topic

hmarchetti

Hi everyone,

I just moved from Maine to Gloucester, MA and will be living here for a while.

I've got big goals and need the low down on all things north shore!

Best fly shops?

Any fly tying meet ups or general fishing related meet ups? Anyone been to the plum island surfcasters meetings?

Anything i need to know about parking/passes for certain areas?

Recommendations on areas that would be fun out of a canoe?

General tips for the life in the north shore??

Thanks!

Theyahs a lot of water on the Noth Showah! I like Capefish in S. Hamilton for a fly shop and Matty will give you some good info on spots.I fish the area just south of Cape Ann pretty much daily and have for like 50 years or so, when you get enough posts to PM shoot me one and I'll give you some starter beta.

Lots of fishy water on the north shore.  Access is OK, parking can be tough.  Google earth is your friend.  As far as canoeing goes be VERY careful-  places that look nice and calm can get nasty quick- and the boat traffic also has to be contended with. 

Edited by titleguy

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

I am not so sure you will see a lot of places posted on an open forum. I don't fish the north shore but I would hope that you might get a few pm's to get you going and maybe meet a few people before the migration begins. In many cases it only takes one or two  people to get you off and running. Good Luck in the new neighborhood. 

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Born and raised on the North Shore, lots of good water but access via land can be a bit challenging. If you have a boat or even a yak, it can really open up a lot more opportunity for you.  Find a local tackle shop, they'll point you in the right direction.

21 mins ago, Jomi said:

Born and raised on the North Shore, lots of good water but access via land can be a bit challenging. If you have a boat or even a yak, it can really open up a lot more opportunity for you.  Find a local tackle shop, they'll point you in the right direction.

Whereabouts?  I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in Rockport.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

8 mins ago, titleguy said:

Whereabouts?  I spent a lot of time with my grandparents in Rockport.

Salem. Not as scenic as a Rockport lol but still in the heart of the Northshore. I'm on the NH seacoast now which is still taking some getting used too. Greater Newburyport area is a great place though.

When I lived behind Plum Island I used to fish the creeks that run through the marsh (not during greenhead season). This link is from the reservation, the launch area is pretty accessible, but beware currents and motorboats and their wakes;

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/canoeandkayak_info_sheet.pdf

I can only think of 2 other places I'd feel OK in a canoe, will PM when you have enough posts, most places are way better for yaks...

Just now, Jomi said:

Salem. Not as scenic as a Rockport lol but still in the heart of the Northshore. I'm on the NH seacoast now which is still taking some getting used too. Greater Newburyport area is a great place though.

Ha, I too born and raised in Salem and now live on the Seacoast, and my wife has a couple friends who used to hang out in the same Salem dives as me. Small world...

15 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Ha, I too born and raised in Salem and now live on the Seacoast, and my wife has a couple friends who used to hang out in the same Salem dives as me. Small world...

I was also born and raised in Salem now live in Marblehead.. I know those dive bars all to well. Plenty of good water to fish but not in a canoe..

hmarchetti,

Welcome Aboard!  You are going to like it here.  You need to post 15 times and then you will be able to Post Messages to the rest of us.

In Rich Murphy's Great book " Fly Fishing for Striped Bass" in his Chapter Coastal Estuaries, and the salt marsh Complexes (pg. 278) he describes fishing The Essex River and the marshes around it.  Google Earth for the Essex River Ma and it will show you the wonderful opportunities just a short drive from where you live.

The area includes Castle Beach, Ipswich, Crane Beach, and a number of other spots.  Murphy uses a Canoe to  fish the estuaries, rivers and marshes north of Cape Ann.  He lives somewhere along the North Shore.  If you can contact him, he will sell you his $60.00 book for $20.00.

Your timing is perfect!  You can scout out most of the spots between now and March.  

Good Luck!

RJ

49 mins ago, xp800 said:

I was also born and raised in Salem now live in Marblehead.. I know those dive bars all to well. Plenty of good water to fish but not in a canoe..

My wife introduced me to one of her friends who was from Salem and now lives up here, took about 20 minutes of discussion to come to the conclusion that we did not make out in the V-bar in the 80s. Whew, that was a close one...

57 mins ago, stormy monday said:

My wife introduced me to one of her friends who was from Salem and now lives up here, took about 20 minutes of discussion to come to the conclusion that we did not make out in the V-bar in the 80s. Whew, that was a close one...

Lol.. I maybe a little younger than you. My memories where of the phily and bleecher's about 25 years ago..

Might be outside your radius of feasible travel but Jack Gartside wrote a book on fly fishing around Boston Harbor. It may be out of print but there was a thread discussing it just recently. In the 1980s I lived in Boston for awhile, coincidentally in Gartsides neighborhood,  but I didn’t bother fishing around Boston because I was under the misguided perception that urban areas were too polluted and developed to harbor good fishing which later I found out was farthest from the truth.