Shag

What 4wd gets the best mpg?

33 posts in this topic

Shag thats awesome my Brand New Son in law has a big Dodge can't wait to throw that line at him .

On a side note my 2013 Silverado gets 13 mpg little better on highway but i don't keep track i just drive . Going from a monster F350 down to a Colorado is going to take some getting used to. 

Posted (edited)

I have a v6 Silverado. It’s got great power and it’s a great truck. I got the best average of 26.4 mpg on it last gear. I would get another one in a heartbeat if it died. I drive a lot and it’s got a 25 gallon tank and on a good week, I fill it up every 3 weeks. And it can haul a max of 1750lbs. 

Edited by Knoxy10

I know you guys don’t like to hear this but my 2015 Eco Diesel1500 4x4 gets over 28 mpg on every tank.

City,highway,it doesn’t matter. 

42k on it now. No issues.

Switch over to smiles per gallon and your gas mileage will be better.

07 4Runner ain't it. 20 or 21 is the best I can get by doing the miles divided by gallons by hand, the truck computer tells me 21 -23. The 20+ has to be all highway, and below 70mph.

Stop and go, around town is 17-18.

Good gas mileage and legit 4wd are not generally thought of as finding in the same vehicle

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty, She gets 16 mpg around town, Best I ever got was 23 Hwy. On a trip from My place to the DE shore with Hwy and town combined I get 20 mpg on an average. I'm happy. :)

"Good gas mileage and legit 4wd are not generally thought of as finding in the same vehicle"........

lot of truth in that statement

Your 100% right Bucket. When I bought my Jeep , gas mpg was the last thing on my mind. It's still a box going down the road. I wanted real 4 whl drive. Locking rears, a real 4 low. So far it's working great, Gas mpg, Nawwww.  But it's about the same as the  Toyo Toco it replaced.Tight lines.

We just traded my wife's 2016 4runner in and in my opinion it would be a great option.  Will do 20+ mpg on the highway but still has body on frame construction and real 4wd.  They are super reliable so I wouldn't be afraid of an older one with a few more miles on it.  

I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport with 4 full size door and a cap. I average 22 mpg and 25 mpg on a highway. I am happy with that.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:24 AM, BrianBM said:

Aha!  

AFAIK no one is building classic sleeve valve engines anymore. The poppet valve, in one form or another, reigns supreme. Am I correct in that?  

2 stroke outboards are sleeve valves aren't they?

If I drive conservatively I can get 24mpg highway in my wrangler 18 JLUS

Posted (edited)

On 2/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, Surfram.DE said:

2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo E 4x4 w/3.6 V6- just averaged 24.1mpg for 4 hours of highway driving at 75-80mph. 

Is that the computer read out MPG? I have an Impala that the computer says I'm averaging 23.8 MPG, however, when I fill up with gas and divide the number of gallons used by the actual miles driven, it comes out closer to 19 MPG miles. How did you figure yours?

As for best gas mileage, how can anyone argue against Subaru unless its because its not a monster truck that weighs over 2 tons and has 22" wheels. 

Edited by Highlander1
Additional Info