chucksplugsinsudz

cpr or kill only whats your preference and why?

142 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Conducting a survey to see how many boaters practice catch and release when targeting stripes or would at least personally be willing to do so to help sustain the fishery.

VS:,

Those boaters whom are adamantly opposed to releasing their legally sized striper catches and more importantly, why they don't or wouldn't want to participate in CPR fishing (no judgement, just collecting data for a project)

Thank you all in advance, 

I release about 95% of legal fish but do take a few once in a while for dinner

Posted (edited)

Kayak fishing is vastly different than boat fishing. There is much greater risk and the sport requires significant effort. Fishing solo, in rain , wind, or sometimes in sub freezing temps in icy water can be a liability. I use no motors, electronics or bait. I  am a steward of my fishery, but I will harvest and consume legal fish. 

Edited by cheech
Omission

I usually keep 1 or 2 a year.  Usually 28-33 inches only if I have time to clean and prep it right. 

Posted (edited)

I tag for Littoral Society of NJ and take scale samples for NY. I keep nothing of no species unless foul hooked or have someone screaming in the background to save one for them.

Edited by rick smithtown
Pathetic spelling

What are/is your specific questions for your survey? You only asking about stripes?

Doesn't every boater have to (legally) release, after they catch the limit (1 over 28" where I live)?

I eat maybe 3/yr (stripes)...the rest go back. I only keep robins and stripes, because they taste good (to me) and are easy to clean. I never keep weakfish, because I think they're scarce, and I don't much like bluefish. I'm considering not keeping any more stripes, but my wife and kid love the big filets.

33 mins ago, HoldMyBass said:

I usually keep 1 or 2 a year.  Usually 28-33 inches only if I have time to clean and prep it right. 

same. Like, if I'm fishing the night before the holiday cook-out, I'll put a contractor's bag in the truck, and take a 28-32" home in it.

I’ve been fishing a long time.... never heard of CPR? What is it?

assuming it’s Catch —— Release.

49 mins ago, JTR said:

I’ve been fishing a long time.... never heard of CPR? What is it?

assuming it’s Catch —— Release.

Photograph

Honestly, I think you're asking your question the wrong way. You ask it like someone will say they ALWAYS will keep a legal fish if they haven't got one in the boat already. I doubt most kayak fishermen keep more than a few per year, but many would like to keep those few. Personally, I keep blues, fluke, porgy and tog for my family table, we would live fine without the occasional bass if that came down.

I fillet and release. If it’s legal and I want fish for dinner or freezer it goes home with me. No second thoughts about it.