HugeDinghy

Gun safety question

212 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

We have to be clear if we are talking kids in the house or not.

No kids I should be able to lean loaded guns in every corner of my house if I want. The folks that blame burglary victims who have guns stolen, piss me right the fuq off. 

And if if there are kids in the house, it’s my issue, not the governments. In my opinion, obviously. And if my kids are going to another house, it’s still my responsibility to Ensure their safety. 

Ummmm, no, you’re not allowed to take responsibility for your actions, that’s what the gov. Is for...

3 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

you tell him chuck norris. :kook:

He’s rite you dullard!

7 mins ago, Sandflee said:

If you have a gun for self defense you would be dead before you located the key and got that off, maybe a 3 pin code lock box

So whats the alternative, leave a loaded gun laying around the house with your kids running around ?

Just now, AlwaysWading said:

So whats the alternative, leave a loaded gun laying around the house with your kids running around ?

Friends I grew up with, dad was a cop. He'd come home and hang his gun belt on the banister. they knew not to touch it. Of course, this was the 60's, a different time. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, JaseB said:

Using that mindset we should hide the beers and tidepods as well.  Can't trust those pesky teenagers with anything anymore so let's just isolate them from the world.

It's the mindset like that that created a world in which a 15 year has no respect or fear of a gun.  Starts with participation trophies and goes on from there.

BB did you ever let your son use any tools or equipment that might be dangerous before he was 18?  

Mine was splitting wood and pulling stumps with a tractor oh and shooting by the time he was 13, look how well he turned out!

lets not forget the go cart we “adjusted “ that would run close to 50 mph :bucktooth: 

Edited by redfishkiller

12 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Friends I grew up with, dad was a cop. He'd come home and hang his gun belt on the banister. they knew not to touch it. Of course, this was the 60's, a different time. 

I never lock the guns up in my house, but then again my kid knew if he touched  them I would break both his legs then shoot him, fear  is a great motivator,  he also knew how to use them. , I believe  A lot of kids today don’t really understand just how dangerous a gun is 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

15 year old kid killed in CT, messing with a gun with a buddy. 

In ct it’s a felony to “improperly store a fire arm or to leave it where a minor could get access without permission of a parent or guardian”

not even sure what the last part really means in reality. 

That said, I think 15 is old enough to know better and probably the age at which storage laws should end ( I don’t agree with them at all but for the sake of discussion, I would think 15 should be th cut off). 

What do you think? 

I would think that a 15 year old should know that pointing a gun at someone is NOT a good idea unless you intend to shoot them.  However, the kid may have been slow-between-the-ears or stupid or just plain bad.  Who knows... I feel bad for all involved but I don't agree that the government should dictate how we store our firearms and ammo.

Edited by Jettyhound

8 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

I never lock the guns up in my house, but then again my kid knew if he touched  them I would break both his legs then shoot him, fear  is a great motivator,  he also knew how to use them. , I believe  A lot of kids today don’t really understand just how dangerous a gun is 

Spoken like a true patriot.    Pretty much how I grew up.  Although my old man did give me a Honda 50 for my 7th birthday.  After I tried to ride it with an old motorcycle helmet, I told him it would fall over my eyes and I couldn't see, then, no more helmet.

3 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

I would think that a 15 year old should know that pointing a gun at someone is NOT a good idea unless you intend to shoot them.

We had a case locally where a 21 year old was "playing" with his unloaded pistol.  Pointed it his GF's head and said bang while he pulled the trigger.   Guess what happened?

I have a friend who won't bring her kids to my house because I don't lock up most of my guns. She bitches all the time that her brat wants to come swim in my pool and I tell her then teach your kid right from wrong and stop blaming me for not baby proofing my house. When I was a kid our house was a damn death trap. My dad kept cans of CS tear gas in a kitchen drawer. We kept batteries, extension cords, and shotgun shells in a cardboard box by the tv. Every room had guns in it. Every room also had dangling exposed wiring from my dad's unfinished "projects". I survived fine. Raise your kids not to be morons and stop relying on the government to protect you from the big bad scary world. 

My 16 yo son was asking me yesterday....."dad I'm making a movie with my friend for school, is it ok if I borrow the mossberg and glock?"   I think the look on my face provided the answer.

Toms River NJ  dad, and fairly recently, was sentenced to 5 yrs after his 4 yo kid killed his 6 yo friend with an improperly stored hand gun. 

2 hours ago, jkrock said:

Attended college with the boy's father.   I haven't read the stories.  Did he accidentally shoot himself or did another child shoot him accidentally? 

Unclear, at least what I'm reading.  From Hartford Courant: 

Police have released few details in the shooting death of Ethan Song, 15, but law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation said investigators were told Ethan and another child were playing with the gun in the Seaside Avenue home rented by private investigator Daniel Markle, the son of the late New Haven State’s Attorney Arnold Markle. They investigated whether the teens were playing a version of Russian roulette, but the sources said the boys were not aware there was a bullet in the gun.

On Wednesday, police issued a statement saying, “We have no evidence or information to suggest that the teens were playing a version of Russian roulette or that the boys thought the gun was unloaded because there was no magazine in it.”

Authorities also are looking into how the boys got access to the gun and who owns the weapon. It is a class D felony to improperly store a firearm or to leave it where a minor could get access without permission of a parent or guardian.

The sources said investigators have been told that the boys didn’t think the gun was loaded because there was no magazine in it — but that there was one bullet in the chamber. The two boys are believed to have been the only people in the house at the time of the shooting.

A freind of mines 16 yo got killed riding a dirt bike on a trail he had ridden a thousand times, helmet , padded protector jacket and pants, the works, he ran off the trail and hit a tree just rite, killed him dead.

shall we put an age restriction on dirt bikes and atv’s next?

or bicycles , my ex wife’s nephew ran a stop sighn on a bicycle and got nailed by a car, on his way home from school he was seventeen , what should the age requirement be on bicycles?

11 mins ago, HopHead said:

My 16 yo son was asking me yesterday....."dad I'm making a movie with my friend for school, is it ok if I borrow the mossberg and glock?"   I think the look on my face provided the answer.

well thats surely illustrates an earlier point

19 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

... I feel bad for all involved but I don't agree that the government should dictate how we store our firearms and ammo.

Good luck with that.

The gov dictates whether you can even have one. The gov dictates how you drive your car, what meds you can take, even what restroom to use.

Someone's gotta protect us from ourselves.