HugeDinghy

Gun safety question

212 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, HopHead said:

R 870 or M 500 with 5 rounds of #6 shot. Other than ease of concealment I don't like handguns for purely home defense.

That's my philosophy. If you miss with that, maybe you deserve to die. :dismay:

9 mins ago, MikeMc said:

lol. So I've read. You may not know it as we don't interact, but you are one of my favorite posters on here. Thank you for your service, good sir. :howdy:

Yup JimP is the man.

Wish he’d hang around in here a little more.

16 mins ago, MikeMc said:

lol. So I've read. You may not know it as we don't interact, but you are one of my favorite posters on here. Thank you for your service, good sir. :howdy:

If only he hadn't been born in Chatham, he might be OK.

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

I don’t shoot 1911s so I don’t know the manual of arms. But shouldn’t the safety have been put in Safe position after the last fired round and before the finger was removed from trigger guard? 

Is it finger off trigger then safety on; or safety on then finger off trigger?

2 hours ago, Sharkey N Sons said:

My wife is an angel, has no tats and can remove eyes at will at 200ish yards....

:cool:

I’m looking to get my first handgun. 

Spoke with the local range and going to schedule a custom 1:1 with an instructor to learn about safe handling, maintenance, concealing, etc, and fire a bunch of different models to see what is the best fit. 

The guy I spoke with in the armory said instructors really like teaching new owners so they can teach you the right way from jump rather than try and make a person unlearn bad habits. 

The CCW class is terribly thin on how to responsibly own a firearm. 

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

If only he hadn't been born in Chatham, he might be OK.

Hey now!!!   I got out as soon as I could!!  Miss it though.  

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I sincerely appreciate it.  

44 mins ago, JimP said:

Hey now!!!   I got out as soon as I could!!  Miss it though.  

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I sincerely appreciate it.  

I'm not gonna forget you made me uncomfortable at Larry's. You took the seat with the view of the door and windows.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, fishinambition said:

No one needs guns.

Some don't. Then there's people like you who shouldn't ever be allowed to have one.

Edited by patchyfog

Posted (edited)

I think the majority of the posters here need to buy diapers verses firearms. :howdy:

Edited by Terry Mac

3 hours ago, JimP said:

the 1911 has a multitude of safeties:  a grip safety; a thumb (manual) safety; a half-cock notch for hammer safety; and a disconnector for when the barrel is out of battery.  

But the only one meant to prevent a AD when the pistol in is one's hand (grip safety deactivated, slide in battery) is the thumb safety, no? 

Posted (edited)

On 2/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, fishhappy said:

I was at a range. We were talking to the instructor, and the 15 year old kid ahead of us is taking his gloved finger out the trigger, gun (Kimber 45) pointed off to his left, and it goes off.  There was a minute of silence, and the instructor asked "Did you mean to pull that trigger?" and the kid said "No." The glove was a heavier winter glove because it was about -3. The instructor walked up and took the gun out of his hand. 

Accidents can happen with people learning about firearms. In this case, luckily, nobody was injured.  I don't even think somebody needs to be slow to have a gun accident, just inexperienced, and that can be inexperienced in a variety of conditions that are new to the shooter. Without the glove, the kid would have been fine, now he learned the hard way about how the glove effects pressure on the trigger. 

Whew.  Gave me chills reading it.  This could be posted as a very worthwhile public service message at ranges.  This reinforces why it is SO IMPORTANT to keep muzzles pointed down range at ALL TIMES.

I know I'll pass it along to my kids and friends for sure.  Thanks for taking the time to advise.  :th:

Edited by Jettyhound

Posted (edited)

^^Yup.  I've seen his "type" in guns shops.  Too-cool-know-it-all-ass-clown.

Edited by Jettyhound