Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

8Ball

4 posts in this topic

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/profile/2108-8ball/

RIP Pete

Most of us here can't think of you without memories like these..............

If it wasn’t being gnawed on Pete always had that stinky cigar in his shirt or jacket pocket. It generally would only be lit in case of bugs – the smell of burning sweat socks causing them all to flee in horror along with any members of the opposite sex who might be nearby. Burning tires had nothing on Pete's cigars.

Pete was by far the greatest blue fisherman in the history of the Shark River Surf anglers. It was an honor he never wanted nor actively tried to seek, it just came naturally, along with the cursing and gnashing of teeth associated with every chewed-up plug and frayed leader. 

You were a great friend and club brother and will be missed !

And I'll bet very few of you know he did a TV commercial with Mickey Mantle !!

Pete was one of the first of a group of close friends I now have due to S.O.L.   There are many here who knew him way longer than I and were a lot closer to him than me.  I thank you all for introducing us and sharing your good friend with me. My sincerest condolences go out to all of you. Pete was the kind of guy who would tolerate a googan and some of the googan moves that come with first starting out if you weren't cocky.  I remember One fall evening when we arranged to meet up at the little rip to fish an incoming tide at sunset [his magic hour]. I arrived there before him and lost 2 lures in a half hour before he arrived. [I also hadn't caught anything].  Pete shows up and takes a look at the water and selects a particular lure and hooks up first cast. He took the time to explain to me why he selected that lure, and how to fish it. It was a huge thing he called his private submarine fleet.He then hands me one out of his bag.  I didn't know it at the time, but these were something very special that he had only a limited number of. I clip it on, AND PROCEED TO THROW IT AWAY ON MY FIRST CAST.  I apologized repeatedly and told him that it was my third break off already.  He looks at me like I have 3 heads and says 'let me see your rod' I hand it over and he runs a rag over the eyes and looks at me and say's. You have ceramic eyes and one of them are cracked. Didn't you check them before starting to fish? I sheepishly had to reply," ceramic eyes, what are those"?  I was so proud of the rod. It was my first [real fishing rod] my wife had bought me that June after doing a lot of reading here on S.O.L.   I didn't know crap about ceramic eyes!  I say " I guess I'm done for the night". He takes the rod back and removes the rest of the ceramic eye with pliers and proceeded to teach me some of the finer points of fishing that spot. [HE ALSO SCHOOLED ME BADLY IN CATCHING FISH]
     That was a good lead up to one of our next encounters. We arranged to meet up at one of my spots. This was very local to me and my go to spot. I figured I would return the favor.  As we were walking out to MY SPOT, I was explaining to him the lay-out of the structure. How the current ran, and how to fish it. We get there and it is a small tributary creek that feeds out into a bay. I start walking out to fish it the way I talked up and Pete just say's to me " hold on a second".  He takes a small cast net out of his wader pocket, Throws it into this creek that you could jump over at low tide and comes up with 5 little bait fish. He hooks one on a bare hook tied to his main line and tosses it back in the creek underhanded. BAM!!!  He pulls out a fat 38" striper. I just stood there feeling like a pompass idiot. Pete never said a word about my "LESSON" I believe his only comment was "nice spot".
   One other think about Pete, THOSE GOD AWFUL CIGARS!!!  We fished the bayshore together a lot and I always knew if Pete was there already by the terrible combined stench of burning tires and sweaty gym socks. They did keep the bugs away though.

I have one more story I want to share about Pete and how generous he was. I had known him a few weeks and we were talking about the upcoming Asbury Park show. He asked if I was going and I told him "yes, I'm bringing my 12 y/o daughter, She bait-fishes with me sometimes". My daughter and I went to the show and I get a call from Pete, "where you at"?  I tell him what table and he comes over and hands my daughter a pair of kid size waders. He didn't want anything and would not take anything for them. He said they were his son's when he was younger and he had no use for them until now.  Below is a post I let my daughter make on S.O.L.

Posted March 10 2003 - 11:02 PM

My name is Blair,I am a 12 year old girl posting under my dad's name untill I can register here. I really enjoy fishing with my dad and some of his fishing friends he has met here. I want to thank 8-Ball for a pair of waders he gave me last Sun. at the show in Asbury Park. They were his son's when he was younger and they fit perfectly. I cant wait to use them to outfish my dad again this year. I caught my first striper at 7, My first keeper [32' 12#'s] at 9 and my first plug caught keeper last summer. I hope to fish with my dad and many more of you this year.
Soon to be registered
MINIGUPPY

I am happy to say that those waders were passed on to another kid here on S.O.L. and I know have some amazing mojo thanks to Pete.

Pete, You were a good friend and I will miss our regular phone calls just to talk even when we couldn't fish. I wish I had known you more than the short 16 years I knew you, but will always cherish the memories of the times we had.
  Jim Breese
JBreese1

nice stories, that's really cool about the waders and your daughter making that post. COndolences to 8 Ball's family and friends.