The Winter Olympics thread

Rate this topic

iphish

33 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Guys, I think some of the anger towards our athletes that don't know how to treat our flag is a bit misplaced.

Some of these kids don't even really know what the Olympics are.  Your average college nowadays can't point to Indiana on a map, and we expect them to be aware of proper flag etiquette?  Yes, ignorance is no excuse, but before we fling all our hate at them, let's keep in mind that this is a product of the education that "We, The People" are providing them with.

The kid won a gold medal, draped himself in a flag, and did what he thought was promoting the USA.

He wasn't burning in protest.

He wasn't taking a knee in protest.

And he sure as hell wasn't flinging up a Black Power fist.

These kids aren't scumbags.  They're simply Americans who are proud of their country, but need a bit of an education on how to correctly show respect for it.

Give me kids like this over the idiots we have on college campuses protesting on the campuses any day.

As usual well said Joe you never let us down . The truth is just having the flag out there is wrong if you go by the letter of the law and we all know how patriot fans feel about that BS. Here it is -  U.S. Code called “Respect for flag,” one entry states, “The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.” However, the section also advises against carrying the flag “flat or horizontally” and using it as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It seams every athlete has done the wearing and drapery .I give the well decorated shauwn white a pass .But thats just me great job kid 

Edited by TheKnot

18 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It's their national sport. Like asking why Americans are insanely good at baseball. They grow up doing it from the time that they're old enough to stand up on skates. They even skate to school in the winter. 

I heard one of the announcers covering a sport at this years olympics, said "so and so started very late in their sport, they began at the age of 7"

I guess that's the reality of today's athlete, no matter where you live in the world.

That is a bad beat US Hockey just took.... Can't allow it to go into 3 on 3 overtime.

US has four quality players. that's it.... Terry, Donato, Greenway, and pick your fourth,,,,,,, maybe Gionta. They just don't have enough time together. Except for the college kids, Ditch is spot on (see page two)

Edited by nightfighter

7 mins ago, TheKnot said:

As usual well said Joe you never let us down . The truth is just having the flag out there is wrong if you go by the letter of the law and we all know how patriot fan feel about that BS. Here it is -  U.S. Code called “Respect for flag,” one entry states, “The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.” However, the section also advises against carrying the flag “flat or horizontally” and using it as “wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It seams every athlete has done the wearing and drapery .I give the well decorated shauwn white a pass .But thats just me great job kid 

While watching SW take it all in after winning, draping and waving a flag around, that was well done, Hopefully the message is sent to much younger kids lucky enough to stay up an watch it on a school nite. Equally to older people who were mesmerized by his performance. He clearly won. Once the flag hit the ground and appeared to be dragged along much like his burton snowboard, I said to my wife its too bad these millionaires, which he is, wasn't coached in how to handle the situation for both old and young when it comes to representing the country and its flag.  A minor detail to some, but in school we were always taught the flag doesn't ever touch the ground. EVER.  Drape it, wear as a cape, tie it around your waist, wear it as a scarf, but don't drag it on the ground. Its Shawns 3rd go around on winning the gold, I would think he would have known. I too give him a pass, for it was not an intentional disrespect. I wouldn't be surprised if this act pops up on social media ....But such is life now, we live in a different world than our dads & moms.  

That hockey game was hard to watch.  I might tune in to see if the Russians are any more interesting to watch but the rest of the games are going to be a hard sell.

Part of me wanted to see Shaun White lose after his helmet throw and celebration after his first run.  Guy is a world class ass-hat, but his last run was fun to watch - got to respect the greatness.  

30 mins ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

That hockey game was hard to watch.  I might tune in to see if the Russians are any more interesting to watch but the rest of the games are going to be a hard sell.

Sweden and Denmark are usually pretty good. Likewise Canada and in the old days the USSR.

its not unusual for the US to lose at Hockey. Hockey is way more popular in Scandanavia and Eastern Europe than the US, they just don't have big city teams like the US and its not commercialized - we went to go see Switzerland play Austria in Switzerland and the tickets were like $5. beer was $2 for 16oz.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

9 mins ago, nightfighter said:

It isn't the Dream Team.... Your comment was directed at the sport and whites. Care to comment on how US Hockey put a team together, fine. I am in for that discussion. But not apologizing for being Caucasian hockey player......

you shouldn't apologize, at all, its just a lower level sport in America. our best athletes don't play it. its basically soccer like that..trying to compete on an international stage with what amounts to crumbs.

1 min ago, Aquacide said:

Sweden and Denmark are usually pretty good. Likewise Canada and in the old days the USSR.

its not unusual for the US to lose at Hockey. Hockey is way more popular in Scandanavia and Eastern Europe than the US, they just don't have big city teams like the US and its not commercialized - we went to go see Switzerland play Austria in Switzerland and the tickets were like $5. beer was $2 for 16oz.

Denmark?  Not so much.  I'm sure if you're there the games are fun.  The lack of NHL talent makes it harder to watch / care, for me at least.  The step down is pretty steep.