St. Croix Avid Vs Legend

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, newbie said:

Is it worth the extra money to buy St. Croix Legend surf fishing rod? 

thanks

I had the avid surf for a while and still have the legend(older model) 10'6" 3/4-4 . Not sure why but the legend seemed stronger to me and more versatile . the avid is a faster bend . I'm a heavy handed caster but the Avid made me feel sort of clumsy when i was throwing plugs. The legend is still my favorite rod. Legend is Light yet strong and sensitive even powerful enough to turn big snook  and Jacks in my local inlet current. If i recall i don't think i tried the mojo .

I love my legend. But also found it for 300 bucks new. Have seen similar deals on them while out shopping around during winters. Keep your eye out. Great rod. Just picked up a 8' Avid and love it and haven't even used it yet. Both great rods if ya like a fast action. Very stiff

8 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I Have a mojo, avid, and legend. I've yet to fish the legend though. The avid is very fast compared to the Mojo. I've read that the legend has an action similar to the Mojo, but with obviously higher grade components. I'll let you know in the spring. Haha.

You are 100 percent right. I have all 3. The mojo is great rod but they snap. Thats out. The Avid is a great rod but love the legend. The legend feels more like the mojo rod but will  not snap. If you using lures up to 21/2 oz. go with Avid. I would spend the money for the legend. You can get the Avid use it for a year then send to St Croix and pay the difference and upgrade to the legend 

Edited by Marty

Depends on what size you talking.. have fish the 8' avid since it came out and love it very much. I jig bridges with jigs up to 3 oz on it but normally 2-2.5 oz with a vsb 150 on it and it's beast. Also fish back bay with same combo and works nicely.. friend has the 8' legend and have fished it. Honestly same dam blank if you ask me and I prefer the k guides so avid all day at 8' ..

longer avids 10' and up get very stiff which is great if you wanna send a 2.5-3.5 oz Tin a mile.. not as fun to battle fish on but it's effective at catching.. the lengend of similar size def a touch softer and also very nice rod... if I was in the market for another big surf stick it would be another gsb either 132-1m or L maybe with 4-6" cut off butt. 

I also have all 3, Mojo, Avid, Legends. All 3 have there place. I never broke any of them, but they do have different actions. Honestly, I prefer the Mojo over the Avid. The Legend is in totally different league. For me, they are the lightest, and have the best sensitivity. and top notch hardware.  When you put down the Mojo and pick up the Legend, you know that you handling something very special. They are the best St. croix produces. 

32 mins ago, TLap21 said:

This is simply not true.  They do stand behind their product though!  

Mojo rods snap. They can’t be maxed out. I snapped two. My buddy snapped 3. I read so many other mojo rods snapping. But, they do have great action. 

45 mins ago, newbie said:

Thanks for all your replies.

more specific: 11' Avid comparing to 10'6 Legend

for surf fishing/CCC, could I use 11' Avid? 

I would say yes for sure on the beach but in the ccc it really depends on what type of plugs you plan on throwing. pencils ,swimmers, shad, jigs and their weights in terms of ounces etc. when it comes to 4 ounce and up plugs and jigs you may want a beefier rod all together. 

17 hours ago, BronxRiverMurk said:

I would say yes for sure on the beach but in the ccc it really depends on what type of plugs you plan on throwing. pencils ,swimmers, shad, jigs and their weights in terms of ounces etc. when it comes to 4 ounce and up plugs and jigs you may want a beefier rod all together. 

thanks. What about Lamiglas Super Surf 2G Rod? Any thought?