Need suggestions on placement of rod holder

Why don't you drill and install the round or square Scotty flushmounts instead of the tube style drop-in mounts?  This way, no concern about installing a FM with too long of a tube that bottoms out.  Just add Scotty rocket launchers at the angle you prefer and the reels will be elevated from sea spray too.

You could also add RAM ball mounts and their rocket launchers, but when a fish strikes they will pivot down.  But the mount footprint will be smaller and if you like the location, you can cut in a tube style FM where the 3-4 mounting holes were.

Yak Attack Mighty Mounts and that other company that uses low-profile mounts with the star pattern also come to mind...

I have a round mount on this  yak, they attach sans hardware, exactly like a lavatory sink drain! Returning the the rod to the rear oem FM was a pain in the neck with a tall setback. I have the nice Hobie extender, but Shop vac works too.

PHOTO_20180812_100434-1.jpg

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, gellfex said:

Scrambler is a tough one to customize, I even had to cut short the flushmount to get it to fit behind the cockpit.  Here's my scotty solution, but it's not for the unhandy. With wingnuts under the mount it acts like an adjustable track. Bottle holder was just begging to be put there! Just don't make fun of my cake pan hatch cover...

post-15110-0-26606600-1467309039.jpg

Haha.  You could put a little camp stove under there and make steamers or fishermans soup on the fly!

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

On 2/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, Northshore Bob said:

Forward placement Scotty holder for this monkey.  Just out of paddle reach .... love being able to watch the rod tip for snags, vibration (when using tube and worm) and pick ups without looking in the rear view.  

Me too.  The rear flush mounts are just out-of-the-way rod storage for me.  Rails are the way to go.  So much flexibity...being able to change stuff around...add or subtract gear.  Also easy to remove protruding gear when loading and off-loading during transport. The ********** series of products are much more impressive to me than Scotty.  Id avoid hard-mounting gear except for maybe one forward-mount rod holder.  But again...on the rails...its so easy to adjust placement...shift sides...etc.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg