Surf Fishing Mentor For 2018 Season

Rate this topic

FishNorthShore

Thanks a lot! but I was moreover looking for a person who could guide me into the more detailed parts of the game such as plug and lure presentation as well as maybe some tips and tricks. (Paid or unpaid)

No ThirstyOwl III or I wouldn't have needed to ask!

Edited by FishNorthShore

9 mins ago, FishNorthShore said:

Thanks a lot! but I was moreover looking for a person who could guide me into the more detailed parts of the game such as plug and lure presentation as well as maybe some tips and tricks. (Paid or unpaid)

No ThirstyOwl III or I wouldn't have needed to ask!

Go spend a day with Bill Wetzel (paid) and you will learn more than a year of asking these yams for intel

5 hours ago, FishNorthShore said:

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, a college kid and long island native, I am looking for a mentor to pick up some skills here on long island for this spring season. If anyone is up for it please let me know!

Thanks

whenever you want send me a pm. ill take you. im still learning but unlike alot of theae guys ill share what i learned. we may not catch fish but we will have fun. just remeber wax on wax off.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

I'm thinking of paying to fish with Bill Wetzel, too. Saw him speak at recent Surfcaster event at Hofstra and was impressed with his knowledge and positive energy.

I've been on a multiyear quest of learning how to fish a certain area in New England. I moved here six years ago from the West Coast and pretty much started from point zero. Last season I was running down the beach tossing tins at blitzes during the day, catching bunker in certain places during the day, then fishing eels and bunker chunks at night. Took a few years to dial it all in.

But I wasn't by myself. The best thing I did was to hang out A LOT and get to know people.

I've been reading books and spending a LOT of time at the fishing spots, making friends with the local anglers and eventually picking up phone numbers, names, Facebook friending, etc. That way I give intel and I get intel. But most importantly the more experienced anglers have given me helpful tips, etcetera. And I've been passing it on, too if someone seems cool.

I didn't have everything handed to me, I put in my time. That's one of the best pieces of advice a fellow angler gave me, that you have to put your time in. Just putting in a lot of time so that when the fishing gets hot you are Johnny on the Spot. Put in the time to pick up some lessons. Sometimes I was the only person on a beach or a pier at night.

But yeah, doing the Bill Wetzel thing will probably save you a couple years on the learning curve.

I have a lot of experience fishing but I’ve always thought that would be cool to try since I heard about it. I started off as more of a boat guy and even though I’ve put in a lot of time in the surf it still feels like I know nothing compared to some of the guys on here and in the books I’ve read. There’s just so much secrecy and such a high learning curve in surf fishing, some weeks you have crazy good luck and feel like a sharpie and some times everyone else is catching but you. Learning the patterns of the fish, the tides, the moon, and how to fish certain areas takes a lot of time on the water. Just reading books and reading on here will only get you so far. i know a lot of information about surf fishing, I’ve been reading this site since 2004 but applying it is where it gets tricky and you will get frustrated a lot. I wish I had someone to teach me but I learn a little here and there and sometimes when you actually go out and meet other people fishing they will be willing to give you a lot more information when it comes to stuff like spots then they will reveal online for everyone to see. I plan to go to some of the gatherings this year that the site puts together and who knows maybe I’ll get the chance to learn something from someone or even fish with them and maybe they’ll learn something from me in turn. It’s like a whole puzzle you have to put together piece by piece that’s what makes this sport so awesome, it’s an adventure and there’s always something to learn along the way. 

2 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

I'm thinking of paying to fish with Bill Wetzel, too. Saw him speak at recent Surfcaster event at Hofstra and was impressed with his knowledge and positive energy.

I've been on a multiyear quest of learning how to fish a certain area in New England. I moved here six years ago from the West Coast and pretty much started from point zero. Last season I was running down the beach tossing tins at blitzes during the day, catching bunker in certain places during the day, then fishing eels and bunker chunks at night. Took a few years to dial it all in.

But I wasn't by myself. The best thing I did was to hang out A LOT and get to know people.

I've been reading books and spending a LOT of time at the fishing spots, making friends with the local anglers and eventually picking up phone numbers, names, Facebook friending, etc. That way I give intel and I get intel. But most importantly the more experienced anglers have given me helpful tips, etcetera. And I've been passing it on, too if someone seems cool.

I didn't have everything handed to me, I put in my time. That's one of the best pieces of advice a fellow angler gave me, that you have to put your time in. Just putting in a lot of time so that when the fishing gets hot you are Johnny on the Spot. Put in the time to pick up some lessons. Sometimes I was the only person on a beach or a pier at night.

But yeah, doing the Bill Wetzel thing will probably save you a couple years on the learning curve.

I understand what you mean, Im not in this for a spot as much as I am for technique. I have been hunting for quite some time in the winter months I know what its like not to  want to share your spot. I tried to attend as much as I cloud and the people on the beaches have shown and taught me a lot also I am ever grateful to them. When it comes to lure selection and presentation and the smaller things that make a huge difference, thats what I need help with. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Edited by FishNorthShore

52 mins ago, Big Will said:

I have a lot of experience fishing but I’ve always thought that would be cool to try since I heard about it. I started off as more of a boat guy and even though I’ve put in a lot of time in the surf it still feels like I know nothing compared to some of the guys on here and in the books I’ve read. There’s just so much secrecy and such a high learning curve in surf fishing, some weeks you have crazy good luck and feel like a sharpie and some times everyone else is catching but you. Learning the patterns of the fish, the tides, the moon, and how to fish certain areas takes a lot of time on the water. Just reading books and reading on here will only get you so far. i know a lot of information about surf fishing, I’ve been reading this site since 2004 but applying it is where it gets tricky and you will get frustrated a lot. I wish I had someone to teach me but I learn a little here and there and sometimes when you actually go out and meet other people fishing they will be willing to give you a lot more information when it comes to stuff like spots then they will reveal online for everyone to see. I plan to go to some of the gatherings this year that the site puts together and who knows maybe I’ll get the chance to learn something from someone or even fish with them and maybe they’ll learn something from me in turn. It’s like a whole puzzle you have to put together piece by piece that’s what makes this sport so awesome, it’s an adventure and there’s always something to learn along the way. 

Thanks for the input! 

I "mentor" one of my son's friends. My son is into spearfishing and will on occasion fish with me. His buddy is a very avid learner and comes over for advise and gear questions. But hears the catch:  he is always asking to help me with stuff or drops off a cigar or two. It's a two way street like everything in life. So many of us have lures, line, terminal gear, etc that we will never use and will just give away to the right guy. Respect and barter goes a very long way, on both sides.

Isnt part of the fun learning on your own? Just as in life, there are no shortcuts. Join **********, join ****ball(Bill Wetzels site), pickup up a couple of John Skinners books, pickup Zeno Hromins books. And go to all the seminars you can and take notes. Also if Crazy Alberto does any local seminars, make a point of going. Plus all the above have utube vids..

Tight Lines...