FunkyBunker

February 2018 Fishing Reports

88 posts in this topic

The best is living by the beach and being used to the wacky weather. Wearing hats and jackets till May and heading to the mainland on a foggy dreary day

only to find it 75° And sunny, everyone wearing shorts and t shirts while you’re wearing a woolie and a heavy sweatshirt still...

Few whales in southern monco today. Surprising sight Feb. Guessing some bait around. 66 Wed. Yes I know its feb, but its tough to not throw a few in those conditions. 

Edited by joefishnj21

On 2/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, Gully said:

The best is living by the beach and being used to the wacky weather. Wearing hats and jackets till May and heading to the mainland on a foggy dreary day

only to find it 75° And sunny, everyone wearing shorts and t shirts while you’re wearing a woolie and a heavy sweatshirt still...

So true. I lived less than 3 miles from the ocean for over 12 years and moved inland a half hour last spring. Gotta admit the early spring warmth is worth the drive. I hate the cold weather so that dreary marine layer stuff into June just didn't do it for me after awhile.

Side Note..was in LBI for a little while today and the surf was loaded with loons pretty actively working the entire stretch. Mid island. I didn't touch the water but my kids let me know it wasn't spring yet.

Edited by RebelMusicNP

Got out for about 2 hours today and the beginning of outgoing tide... Also saw a few loons working but didn't end up with anything... it was really nice getting back out there.  

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Master Debaiter said:

If I take a 2 hour drive out of state I can get me some nice bass....being caught all winter. I know a local spot where I can have similar results but I’d be breaking the law. 

I'm in. 

Might take a ride back up to CT to fish a river this weekend to try out some new plugs and break in a reel that was just serviced. Wanna mention that there’s no closed season in CT in any waters lol

2 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Might take a ride back up to CT to fish a river this weekend to try out some new plugs and break in a reel that was just serviced. Wanna mention that there’s no closed season in CT in any waters lol

I'm in. 

Found the white perch at a local salt pond today...fun to have something tugging back. Got 6 all about the same size and my buddy got 4. All still swimming..most action at the top of the tide.

20180220_135112_001.jpg

3 hours ago, coldclam said:

Found the white perch at a local salt pond today...fun to have something tugging back. Got 6 all about the same size and my buddy got 4. All still swimming..most action at the top of the tide.

20180220_135112_001.jpg

Nice catch...

If these warm days were closer to the weekend I would be trying for some largemouth (i caught a bunch l of LMN, last year right around this date.)  I caught a carp on a brown bucktail about a month ago.

Your picture is tempting me to fish just above the salt-line where I've caught LMB, SMB, & Stripers witnessed white perch -all on the same day