New Redington Rise reel users?

Rate this topic

mightyrime

I need a second 9/10 reel for a backup sinking line boat rod.  Looking for inexpensive and I am considering the Behemoth 9/10 as I know it works.  I like the looks of the Rise 9/10 in green.  Anyone use these reels yet?  Again putting a 400g sink tip and fishing for yellowtail so it needs a good drag.

thanks

Which version?  The Rise II reel is a mid arbor and the Rise III is an extra large arbor.  In the 9/10 size I'd think you would want to go with a reel that has a more robust drag and is more solidly constructed.  The Behemoth probably fits the bill better for that species.   The Rise III is the most attractive looking and lightest of the three, but the drag looks undersized.  It's a nice switch/spey reel for light salt, not really a boat reel.

I like my Behemoth on my #7 but I dropped it onto the carpet last week and the handle hit first, and it snapped clean off. Presumably due to the cast (rather than machined) construction. The reel was like $90 and a spool is like $60 (I think). I do not have a lot of interest in purchasing a new spool. 

Edited by capefish4231

That is a problem for a boat reel.  Can't have the thing break with one small impact.  Get yourself a TFO Hayden 1 reel for around $160 on the big auction site.  Now that is a nearly unbreakable design, which is what you want in a backup, IMO.  It's nominally a 9wt reel but I can get a Rio Leviathan 500g sinking line on it and around 280 yards of 40lb suffix braid with room to spare.  I rate it as a 9/11 reel.  A 12wt tarpon floating line fits with the same amount of backing as well if you cut off the rear ~10'.

Hayden-TFO-reel.jpg

TFO_Terry_Hayden_Drag.jpg

TFO_T-Hayden_Fly_Reel.jpg

Edited by Killiefish
add photos

21 hours ago, mightyrime said:

i have wondered about those hayden reels... beasts.. really heavy but could be OK.

I have a TFO 1 and NS1....indestructible as far as I can see.......big cork drag, but heavy.

The 1 is a huge reel as Killie said, for 160 it is like the cast iron pan of fly reels

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land

TFO Hayden 1 reel is 11.5 oz, Narrow Spool Version (NS-1) is 10.8 oz.  The NS-1 is an 8/9 weight reel.   The Hayden 1 is a 9/11 reel, IMO.

These are further discounted on the big auction site.  They are new old stock and need to be opened and re-lubed out of the box - follow the instructions to the T.

Edited by Killiefish