Braid - how many seasons?

Rate this topic

Northshore Bob

Converted from mono to braid when I switched from shore fishing to kayak fishing a few years ago.  How many seasons do most use the same braided main line before changing out?  I've got one reel spooled w/ 30lb PP fhat I've used or 2.5 seasons ... wondering if there's a need to re-spool?  I do trim back on it occasionally through the season as needed when it starts to show signs of fraying.  

I'll use a spool of braid for two seasons. The 2nd season I'll reverse the line so the used line goes on the spool first and the unused, fresh line will be the line that is cast out. If I lose a little bit of line during the first season from breakoffs, abrasions, or wind knots, I'll add enough new line as backing, before I add the reversed line, so the spool is filled to the max.

I fish at the canal, from jetties or at rocky beaches so my braid might be more knicked and abused than your line, seeing that you're fishing from a kayak.

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Two seasons for me. I just reversed the braid and refilled the backing on all my canal reels. Fresh and ready to go.

You can do it for longer then two years , before reversing as long as the line has not become nicked during the year . If you began with a full spool at the initial spooling you will get even more life from the line , by reversing and back filling with backing to make up for the loss during the year

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

You can do it for longer then two years , before reversing as long as the line has not become nicked during the year . If you began with a full spool at the initial spooling you will get even more life from the line , by reversing and back filling with backing to make up for the loss during the year

Thanks, good to know.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

I'd say 10 years ago or so when I fished a heck of a lot more, I'd reverse every year and respool every other.   I'd walk the line between three or four reels.   but I used only the original fireline and it got real "yarny" I'll call it after a couple years of heavy use.

I don't even fish 10% as much as I used to.  I bought a 3000 yard spool of black 30lb fireline.  I probably won't buy new braid for a decade at this rate ;)

DITCH TROLL

For me, it depends on the amount of abuse that a given line gets.  The line on my ditch jigging reel gets pretty beat up, so I've had to take it to Bruce at Canal B&T mid-way through the season to have him add some backing to it to make up for what I've cut off (or had broken off).  The following year I will reverse the line.  

Most 5000-class reels today hold hundreds of yards of braid.  (My BG 5000 holds 480 yards of 40# braid, according to the Daiwa specs.)  I had it spooled with 30# mono backing and 300 yards of braid.  IMO, if I cannot successfully fish the canal and land large bass with 300 yards of braid, then I am doing something drastically wrong.

I use that BG for plugging so the line doesn't get beat up much.  I'll leave that line as is for this coming season.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

• 2 weeks later...
1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

Anybody got a good trick for reversing line without a second spool?

Those Stella spools are pricey.

Two empty spools of line, attached to drill bits used on an electric screwdriver. My method is pretty clearly homemade but it works. 

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

19 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Anybody got a good trick for reversing line without a second spool?

Those Stella spools are pricey.

Because it's done manually, it does takes longer.  But it is readily available and avoids purchasing spools. 

I use a roll of toilet paper or a roll of paper towels.  Insert a dowel thru the center, position ends of dowel between your knees.  Attach the line to the roll and spin the roll as you wind the line off the spool or second roll.    

Find a spool and insert dowel into the drill and the other end into the spool  thats about the fastest way.  Then I take the dowel out of the drill and put it into a vice and reel it back onto the reel.  

Joe G , Your living in the past.  It works but So,So Slow 

Even with a second spool you can't reverse the line, it takes a third. If I can't get outside I will use two of my old reels/spools. My preferred method is to find a large field, tie off, walk out the line going back and forth between several screwdrivers stuck in ground. After switching line ends I will rewind the line while putting pressure on using my rod. Obviously to do this I keep the reel mounted on the rod.

I saved a couple of power pro plastic spools from line I previously purchased so I can use them to reverse the line on my reel.

I take the line off my reel then put it on a line spool. I then take the line off the 1st line spool and put it on the 2nd line spool. The 2nd spooling reverses it. You can then put the reversed line on your reel from the 2nd spool.