ThrowinPlugs

Bucktails in freshwater?

20 posts in this topic

Hey all, curious here. With the use of bucktail jigs so prevalent in salty surf applications for striped bass, I was curious if anyone bucktails  for their smaller freshwater cousins like smallies or LMB? Is it uncommon? 

Ive used them in rivers with very good success. I have to pour my own as its hard to find them made of tin in lighter weights.

Ive got Pike, Lake Trout, SB, LMB, and even Walleye on them.

12 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Ive used them in rivers with very good success. I have to pour my own as its hard to find them made of tin in lighter weights.

What size weights are you most successful with?  I am fishing a day on the St. Croix river for small mouth in May.

5 mins ago, toight_like_a_tiger said:

What size weights are you most successful with?  I am fishing a day on the St. Croix river for small mouth in May.

Much like the salt, it depends on depth and current. I have some 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1oz.

U could use a football head jig with a skirt and use a crawfish trailer. Hard for any smallie to pass that up. Blade baits also work well with either a steady retrieve or bouncing them off the bottom.

Ive caught alot of smallies with those rigs.

5a71096165948_0nRBv7n-Imgur.jpg.ff805c818d38187eefee938492ed76b8.jpg5a7109626ccaa_LqnSqKp-Imgur.jpg.51a31a05bd044febd14fd82e7dba8341.jpg

Wow very interesting! I'm thinking the spots I fish are usually slow to non moving ponds, so maybe a 1/4oz would be just fine.

They’ll smack a bucktail no sweat.   other fav.s of mine include a Rebel Pop-R or a 1/8oz to 1/4 oz jighead with a 2” curly tail grub jigged around. 

Find bucktails with the longer feather type hackle in it, that extends beyond the hair, rather than attaching a trailer. 

I use them alot on deeper ledges, and rockpiles. Just crawl them like slow rolling a spinnerbait. I fish them alot when i find feeding fish in deeper water, say 15-25 ft. Many times they will draw the larger fish from the school, and strikes tend to be aggressive!

5 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Find bucktails with the longer feather type hackle in it, that extends beyond the hair, rather than attaching a trailer. 

I use them alot on deeper ledges, and rockpiles. Just crawl them like slow rolling a spinnerbait. I fish them alot when i find feeding fish in deeper water, say 15-25 ft. Many times they will draw the larger fish from the school, and strikes tend to be aggressive!

Well I actually tie my own, and have plenty of hackle to play with so that's good to know. Pretty interesting!

Even better! I use the Gambler JTK jigs in 1/2 oz, if you want to reference them. If you tie some, post some pics will ya, would love to see them!

3 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Tin jigs and bucktails are no problem.  Ask at this link.  I make 17 or 18 different heads and adding more all the time any of which can be made in tin.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/59-cbst-requests-what-are-you-looking-for/

Just a couple examples.

fullsizeoutput_b5.thumb.jpeg.ad5ff242051e9655ba23c22719f0b3c1.jpeg

5a713366ded7b_TinTeaserswbucktail.thumb.JPG.6c925e09e9aa8a6fac51d9836a5685cf.JPG

fullsizeoutput_22d.thumb.jpeg.68ca1e3b69607e3b185a2febe25c4260.jpeg

yes.

i prefer bucktails in streams/rivers in colder water. warmer water i like jigs with soft plastics if i have to fish a jig. 

they are called hair jigs, light jigs less then 1 ounce. work really well in the cold water for bass. ive caught some  nice lake trout on them as well

I have found hair jigs to be much more effective than rubber skirted jigs when fishing for Small-mouths especially in Maine. I use as light as I can go and still feel them. Tip it with the small number 11 uncle josh pork frog.