Pellet Rifles

Rate this topic

Patrick9915

So I have gotten two questions about pellet rifles and I wanted to share my knowledge with you people.

There are quite a few different types out on the market.  CO2, Multipump, Break Barrel, and PCP are the main types.

CO2 runs off of the little cartridges that you're familiar with.  They don't put out a lot of power and they can be finicky in different climates.  Most serious airgunners stay away from them.  Multipumps are fun but don't put out a lot of power. 

Breakbarrels break open the at the barrel and you load a single pellet in.  How this works is it cocks a piston back and it slams forward pushing a puff of air that pushes the pellet.  There are two types, spring type and nitrogen piston.  The nitrogen piston is much like the air piston you have that lifts the tail gate of your SUV but much stronger.  Air piston has many benefits in that you can keep the gun cocked almost indefinitely. Spring guns can have issues with spring memory.  These guns typically come in three calibers: .177, .22, and .25.  I will talk about these in a little bit.  One word of caution is that the scope you use has to be rated for air rifles.  Since you have a piston slamming forward, you can easily damage a scope that isn't designed for the forward recoil.  There are a few brands of rifles that are well regarded.  Hatsan, Weirauch, Beeman.  Cheaper guns suck.  You can pick up a cheap gun for 100 or so.  High end stuff can run a couple hundred.

PCP are pre-charged pneumatics.  These get charged with compressed air usually to either 3,000 PSI or higher.  You can charge them with a scuba tank or a hand pump but hand pumps are a lot of work and you will probably not get past 3,000 PSI.  These rifles have a hammer that opens a valve that shoots a puff of air.  Some higher end rifles have an air regulator that gives a more consistent shot but they are pricey.  These rifles come in .177, .22, .25, .30, .357/9mm, .45, .50 and some custom guns shoot 20mm.  These guns are the most accurate but can be expensive.  Think anywhere from $350 up to $2000+. 

What caliber should you get?  .177 shoots fast and flat but they are light pellets.  Heavier pellets have a bigger arc in their trajectory but carry more energy and buck the wind better.  Don't think a faster gun is your best bet!  Most pellets do best UNDER the sound barrier AND you lose the quietness because you get a supersonic crack.  They can destabilize above the speed of sound.

Happy shooting!  Let me know if you have questions.

I have a breakbarrel in .177.  Shoots 1000 ft/sec or so thats what it is spec'd at.  I forget which brand.  My Dad is using it.  Cost about $250 15 years ago.  Very accurate out to about 50yards.  I have found that the quality ammo is very important for accuracy.  

A PCP in .357 sounds fun........can they throw a regular bullet?

2 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

I have a breakbarrel in .177.  Shoots 1000 ft/sec or so thats what it is spec'd at.  I forget which brand.  My Dad is using it.  Cost about $250 15 years ago.  Very accurate out to about 50yards.  I have found that the quality ammo is very important for accuracy.  

Some people use cast bullets. 

1 hour ago, PaddyCrabby said:

I have one that's same age and price range. 

RWS Diana in. 177

Its fine for old technology 

troll #122  <*)))<

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have one that's same age and price range. 

RWS Diana in. 177

Its fine for old technology 

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

That IS the bullet, 9mm, 200 ftlbs energy with 170gr. 

Edited by FyshhTrap
added

Here's a few of mine the ones i currently keep . I have had many over the years and have killed hundreds of varmints with them . The first one is a Marksman 25 in .17 cal i shoot wadcutters and predator polymag pellets out of this one 7 grain rats don't have a chance out to 75 ft . 2nd is a 10 year old gamo varmint hunter this gun has been modified to be a beast of a airgun i shoot only Beeman kodiak pellets 10.1 grain  out of this one .It sports a air venturi gas ram as a power source and has a muzzle velocity of 800ftps. it has dropped countless crows and raccoons over the years also . The 3rd is a benjiman sheridan in .17 cal it doesn't need any words many kids first real gun in the 70's . Mine is a 1991 model it has put it's share of squirells in the pot . And the last one is a AirArms 410c this english rifle is firearms rated and silly accurate it also has dropped many a varmint it shoots 21 grain JSB pellets and produces about 24 to 27 fpe and drops coon's in there tracks . The trigger is so smooth with no creep and breaks at about 1.2 # . Don't shoot them all that much anymore but they are a hoot when i do . 

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02839.JPG

397 p benji.jpg

cuttingsplittingpesting.jpg

Edited by TheKnot

Just now, Bass Ackwards said:

I have a Daisy Red Ryder that does a great job of scaring the squirrels away from the bird feeder. It's like shooting at a resetting target. :D

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****