Matteo78

On the Water: Cape Cod Weakfish

31 posts in this topic

On the water filmed an episode on Cape about fishing for weakfish in the bays and Estuaries. Does anyone know where they filmed it. They crushed them during the episode. I screenshotted one of the backdrops.

F6122995-B43C-492B-9B92-F94ED6310750.png

when was it aired?  couldn't find it.     do you have the link?

found it   Season 11     but I don't know the area?  I don't recognize anything?   maybe some else does.  

Most of the time in BB they come up to Wings cove.  Most likely near the RI border?

Here is the link to the video. One of the few species I haven’t caught yet. This is driving me crazy 

Each spring I spend a lot of time  from shore in an area I know they inhabit, yet I’ve never caught one. I target bass there with topwaters and diving lures mostly, but i’ve seen, read, and heard that weakies prefer small offerings bounced slowly along the bottom. Every year I say I’m going to try for weakfish with a small slug-go on a jighead, but it’s hard to ignore the bass and I end up slinging topwater. I’ve caught hundreds of bass there over the years. Still no weakfish....

I think the key is not so much where as to when. They seem to push through the first week in May and I think you have a shot at them in any of the South side estuaries. Remember they are nick named 'tiderunners' for a reason. The ones I have direct experience catching were during the mid-tide flow.

that was a banner year, i fish that spot every year. caught 40 or so weakfish that year and not one since. 

I lived on the coast in RI during the mid to late '70s and there were more weakfish than stripers at that time. I remember walking off a breakwater with a good sized weakfish when he made a sound that almost made me drop him. They are part of the drum family and will make a loud "drumming" sound. They were mixed with blues pushing pogies around and could be caught on jigs and bait on the bottom. A popular rig for boaters was a trolling setup that included a series of colored beads and a spinner in front of a baited hook.

I talked to the OTW  guys at RISAA show last year ... the spot wasn't public or readily accessible. But if you check out Google Earth you can see locations to try. Upper Cape ...

I didn't hear of any weakfish last year, so I am guessing they really didn't migrate up to the Cape in the numbers of the year the show was filmed. There are spots in RI that historically get weakies in May, but haven't heard much in the past several years. They are unpredictable...

10 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Each spring I spend a lot of time  from shore in an area I know they inhabit, yet I’ve never caught one. I target bass there with topwaters and diving lures mostly, but i’ve seen, read, and heard that weakies prefer small offerings bounced slowly along the bottom. Every year I say I’m going to try for weakfish with a small slug-go on a jighead, but it’s hard to ignore the bass and I end up slinging topwater. I’ve caught hundreds of bass there over the years. Still no weakfish....

I’ve loaded up on pink and chartreuse ronz, and buck tails with grubs, as well as a Stradic 2500 with an E6X 7’ ml inshore. Hopefully that’s the ticket

Please get back to us and let us know how you make out. 

I know people that fished there and they ( the fish) have not been back since, I can understand it being back on TV again, it makes for great viewing.

I enjoy that video and it got me. So I’ll be buying some Ronz and Zoom then off to google maps to look around.