Rate this topic

EricJ

ok boys, this is the first of a series of burgers. It is made from a combination of chuck and bacon ground together.... not bacon on top.  Simple condiments because it is all about the meat.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

2 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

When you cut the thing there should be at least a drop of something on the plate. Preferably a small pool should form.

Unfortunately there was a lot of time from when it came off of the grill to when you saw me cut it.

Lots goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood. The burger was cooked on the set in a remote location, then the end was filmed in the studio in Burbank. I was looking for the WD40 to spray on it.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

Because of the raw bacon meat you have to cook the burger well. Based on how people handle the meat could make a difference of getting sick from raw pork or not. 

Ive done this making ground meat using venison and ground bacon. Honestly put the bacon on top, at least you will taste the bacon for what it is. Bacon extra crispy is much different than bacon barely cooked. 

Now when I make ground venison I use high fat content ground beef for the fat.  I can cook the burger how we like it, med rare. No worries of raw pork. 

4 hours ago, forester said:

There is bread and meat, therefore mayo is appropriate, 

I dont think there will be any consensus on the mayo thing. Reminds me of this...

I've been doing that for years (ever see what the food store grinds into hamburger? You'll grind your own too after that experience :upck:)

The guy in the video is making a very large mistake - you need to cook the bacon just a bit first before grinding it. If you don't you're forced to cook the burger well done, which is a cardinal sin.

Just cook the bacon like you normally would but stop when it hits the disgusting "like soft rubbery fat that's barely cooked enough to safely eat" stage (that my wife and kids prefer theirs done to :upck:)

Don't drain the bacon, leave the grease cool and add it back into the beef strips, but first do the math. I shoot for 85% meat to fat for burgers and assume that regular bacon is 80% fat 20% lean, you'll need to guesstimate based on the bacon you buy and you'll need a kitchen scale, which is an absolute necessity for grinding your own anything. For this you want cheap fatty bacon - you need the fat or the burgers will be dry crumbly and gross. Do the math, add back all of the bacon and enough of the cooled grease to make up the weight ratio. If you don't have enough bacon you can make up the difference with clean pork fat or fatback. I always have a few 1lb bags of clean pork fat in the freezer, you never know when you'll need a bit to grind.

FWIW, the butcher at your local shop-rite will usually sell you all you want for $1, but you have to ask - note.... double check when you get home to be sure no beef suet got into the pork fat, it'll RUIN any thing you grind, don't ask me how I know :upck:.

Put everything into the freezer. including the grinding attachment, until it's all cold enough to just start freezing on the edges. Icy cold everything means you don't get the disgusting mealy texture that occurs if you grind room temp meat. Grind it up and then mix in small diced cubes of cheese. Don't try grinding the cheese in as it just dissappears and isn't as good.

Mix as little as possible, over-mixing ruins the texture.

If you like a little extra chew in your burger, grind some of the beef (none of the bacon or fat) with the courser grind plate. This is a personal taste thing so start with just a little, like 25% and bump it up each time you do this until you know what you like. We like about 30% using top round London Broil

It seems difficult but it's not at all.

By far the most difficult part is trimming all the silver skin and other stuff off the meat you're going to grind - If I won't eat it, I won't grind it.

When you're done put your ground meat next to the same fat content store ground meat and look at the difference in color - no way in #### is store ground the percentage lean to fat they say it is unless they count in with the lean meat nonfat gross trimmings like thick rubbery veins, ducts, arteries, glands, and other nasty things. (ever wonder what the rubbery bit in that hamburger was ? Now you know)

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Um, guys, commercial bacon is cured and smoked, not quite the same issues as raw pork. And even pork these days has a very low risk of trichinosis. Not that raw bacon is palatable, but it doesn't need to be cooked to death either. 

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

You can feel free to eat bacon that's not fully cooked, not me.

Certainly not feeding it to my kids

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962