Problem with handrail install

Rate this topic

Capt Randy

Renter removed the hand rail and filled up holes then painted over them. Found a stud at top of stairs to attach to but when I found another "stud" further down stairs drill will not penetrate it to get a lag bolt into it.  Townhouse with fireproof walls, any idea what they would use for studs that I cannot drill into?  

You may be on screw head or it may be block. A cobalt bit or a good sheet metal screw may poke through any metal. You could raise or lower it slightly, or drill in place on a slight angle. Good luck

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

No pipes in the wall where your drilling ?  Check the wall again. look at different angles and you may see where he filled in the hole.  If your using the old hand rail check the bottom and see where the brackets were before. Also are you at the old height?  I say look good for the old holes because most guys don't fill the old holes perfect?  They always leave a dimple, because the plaster or caulking shrinks.

Edited by ccb

Place a flash light along the darkened wall so the light is as close to parallel to the wall as can be, and the screw hole patches will pop out.

The raking angle will cast shadows on every imperfection.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

There are anchors now that have a rating greater than 100lbs. I installed a shelf to hold a beverage cooler. One of the brackets is screwed into a stud but the other is using one of those anchors that is just in the drywall. The cooler is 50lbs empty sitting on it. Now loaded with liquid beverages and it is rock solid.

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.