Spigola

Light tackle topwater plugs?

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, Spigola said:

St Croix Avid Inshore 8' (VIS80MF) with Penn Clash 2500 and 10# Sufix 832.

St Croix Avid Inshore 8' (VIS80MHF) with my trusty Saragosa 3000F and 15# Sufix 832. 

 

Great light surf and backbay rods.

 

Want to keep weight of lures to no more than 7/8 oz.  Good recommendations so far guys.  Thanks.  I'm used to the big chunks of plastic and wood for out front but for several reasons I am going lighter.

I have been using a lot of different presentations over the years , I fish light tackle w/ my St Croix Inshore exactly like you have . MY favorite line is MirrOlure of everything that they sell . I have plenty, I changed all the hooks w/ VMC to beef it up . PM me you address or telephone # I be happy to send some extras I have , I know you would enjoy them 

Edited by Hook I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hook I said:

I have been using a lot of different presentations over the years , I fish light tackle w/ my St Croix Inshore exactly like you have . MY favorite line is MirrOlure of everything that they sell . I have plenty, I changed all the hooks w/ VMC to beef it up . PM me you address or telephone # I be happy to send some extras I have , I know you would enjoy them 

That's very kind of you.  I always change out to 4X VMC hooks.  Check your PMs.  Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Spigola said:

That's very kind of you.  I always change out to 4X VMC hooks.  Check your PMs.  Thanks again.

sure no problem , 

 

 when I swap out hooks on plugs  I always put them on the scale 1st for weight then I'll match by those numbers , especially top water , I entertained one of your NJ best buddy up in CT w/ a MirroLure top dog couple of seasons ago . It has a very special soundclick  which attracts a lot of different species here in the North East & Fla . It's of the the best all around hard plastic presentations including suspending & subsurface . One of the NJ SOL members here uses them alot ,  I see he is sometimes my bidding competition on fleabay . They catch a lot of fish anywhere .   

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Spig you should chk out Midway lures.  Top water swimmers I use exclusively in the back that have produced well for me.  As others mentioned the Heddon and the Smack It plugs are my #2 and #3. With the Midway being first out of my bag those are all I carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, fishless said:

Hey Spig you should chk out Midway lures.  Top water swimmers I use exclusively in the back that have produced well for me.  As others mentioned the Heddon and the Smack It plugs are my #2 and #3. With the Midway being first out of my bag those are all I carry.

 

 

i cal lbul chit what about your lucky mag darter. Im going to pick one of those up at the berkley show.  I am going to try to stick with my 8ft and 9 foot rods this spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought some rm Smith Danny’s around 1oz and I throw sp’s, smack it jr’s On a 7’6 stellar lite 1/4-3/4 and that rod handles it with ease 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

 

 

i cal lbul chit what about your lucky mag darter. Im going to pick one of those up at the berkley show.  I am going to try to stick with my 8ft and 9 foot rods this spring. 

He asked for top water recommendations you crazy bellringer you..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Jumpin Minnow... have yet to see anthing work better in the world of small "walk the dog" lures.  Have to switch out hooks and rings as mentioned above.

 

Gags Grabber.. great little blooper... also needs hooks and rings.

 

Smack-it... more convcave face than the Gags and really moves water.  I like the hackle on the tail hook, but the hook sucks so whip a little white hackle on the replacement..  when it is just sitting on the water, the hackle looks like it breathes...

 

Tac Anglers Crossover popper... Albert hit a home run with this one.  The reverse gill cuts send out an entirly different splash than the cupped face, and it is thru wired.  I still change tthe hooks....

 

I will tell you that the most effective way I have found to use a popper on a "miss" is to have a second rod rigged with a soft plastic ready to throw within easy reach.  A blowup does not always necessarily mean you are going to get another one when you throw back, but a follow-up with a soft plastic after a blowup... boom!

Edited by fmtuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapala has a nice top water walk the dog lineup. Had good success with reds and trout down in the OBX with skitter v and skitter walk, they are both around a half ounce. Didn't give them much of a try this fall up here because my gear was usually a bit too heavy but they did produce  few bluefish.  Will give them another shot this spring.

CAM01604.jpg

20170717_194924_1500347152137.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing pretty good this off season staying patient waiting out the winter until we get back at it.  Until I saw that second pic.  Now I'm jonesing for a nice calm evening with light tackle and back bay action.  IN SHORTS!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, did a bit of off season shopping.  Got some Jumpin Minnows, Super Spook Jrs, 3.5 inch Smack It Poppers and a few extra Mag Darters.  Will be good to go when the packages arrive.  :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the second pic, just behind SIC's left elbow, it looks like another fish swirling about back there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishless said:

If you look at the second pic, just behind SIC's left elbow, it looks like another fish swirling about back there. 

Every night as the sun goes down the mullet and peanuts come into the marina for protection.  School after school for about 30 minutes. The schools continuously get ambushed on their way in.  It's quite a sight on a flat night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.