macattack893

Trout Spinning Rod Reel Combo Under $150

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking to cash in some Bass Pro gifts cards I got over the holidays and could use a dedicated trout. I have $150 to play with and would like to not pay anything else more out of pocket. I'm pretty set on getting a pfulger reel but im not positive on the spinning rod yet. Would be looking for a rod rated from 1/16 up to 1/4. Mostly being used for stocked trout in MA ponds from shore and kayak. Been eyeing the fenwick HMX rods but very open for suggestions. What are your favorite spinning rods to use for these application? 

Posted (edited)

A small sahara and a fenwick is a solid combo. 

I use a stradic 1000 ci4 for stockies-fenwick rod, and a twinpower XD 3000 for lakers. 

Edited by squidwontons33

Diawa RGAB 2500 will run about $50 on sale|

Daiwa Digigear
-AIR ROTOR
-Protrusion Free AirBail
-Aluminum ABS Spool (Double Anodized)
-Machined Aluminum Handle
-Infinite Anti-Reverse
-Twist Buster II (RG2500H-AB

St. Croix Triumph M/L  or L. should run about $100 on sale or BPS micro lite priced <$100 

Get a ul rod with a trout or panfish specific taper.  Not a bass tapered rod.  Place side by side, you'll see that the trout specific rods has a thinner, more flexible butt section. Making the fight much more enjoyable without overpowering the fish. Also keep in mind that handle style does matter, Some split grip are very awkward to fish depends your grip style.  Such as the st.croix trout series which I cannot stand. 

Staying under 150.00 new ,well an Ugly stick and an Okuma work well enough for Trout even Red Fish,what is wrong with a penn 712 on a Red Bone Hurricane  

On 1/24/2018 at 9:23 PM, squidwontons33 said:

A small sahara and a fenwick is a solid combo. 

I use a stradic 1000 ci4 for stockies-fenwick rod, and a twinpower XD 3000 for lakers. 

i clicked on this to reply...saw this second post down, you win you said it first....i have a fenwick eagle gt and a shimano sedona...i think its about $150 on the button

1 hour ago, jettyjmpr said:

i clicked on this to reply...saw this second post down, you win you said it first....i have a fenwick eagle gt and a shimano sedona...i think its about $150 on the button

perfect match! right?

1 min ago, squidwontons33 said:

perfect match! right?

Had it for over 10 yrs...has well over 50 trout on it...other than minor rash it looks new and works just as well...I must admit it hasn't seen action in a while but it's super sensitive and has great action...freshwater rods can't beat a Fenwick for me

I have a fenwick eagle travel rod and an HMX bass rod. No complaints with either. 

Should be no problem finding a capable trout rig for $150. I've caught a bunch of trout on lightning rods and Bass pro microlites. Most of my trout fishing is done with a St. Croix avid or loomis GL2 but when I float fish, I use the micro lite over both of them. I use the 7'6" for float fishing but the 6'6" would be a better all around rod. I owned a 6'6" before a fish pulled it out of the rod holder of my kayak. I also use a 7' for redfish here in Texas. Very capable line of rods. 

I usually just pair it up with whatever shimano fits in the budget. Saharas have been very reliable for me. 

On 1/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, Al Sears said:

Staying under 150.00 new ,well an Ugly stick and an Okuma work well enough for Trout even Red Fish,what is wrong with a penn 712 on a Red Bone Hurricane  

That is the exact setup I use...

...  for fluke, snappers and schoolies!

Can definitely attest to the BPS microlite- however, I prefer the glass version. The fiberglass throws out really light lures really well and with such soft mouths, trout don't need that bass hookset. The fight is super fun on them as well.