FearlessFupa

New Haven Harbor

14 posts in this topic

Anybody ever have much luck out here? I had on morning this past August that I got into a huge amount of schoolies. Landed somewhere around 50 bass in an hour with my buddy. Granted the biggest fish we pulled was about 34”. Still had a great time but didn’t see anything like that the remaining months. Made dozens more trips the rest of the season to find peanuts so thick the first 10 feet of water looked black but no fish on them. Quite puzzling actually 

Never been there but have had similar experiences at different spots in Fairfield county.  Bunker (peanut and adult) so thick that, if I fell in the water, I wouldn't sink right away.  Didn't have much luck this season overall from shore (don't have a boat.)  Schoolies mostly and only four keepers since the Spring.  Sucked.

2 hours ago, OU812 said:

Never been there but have had similar experiences at different spots in Fairfield county.  Bunker (peanut and adult) so thick that, if I fell in the water, I wouldn't sink right away.  Didn't have much luck this season overall from shore (don't have a boat.)  Schoolies mostly and only four keepers since the Spring.  Sucked.

was like that in fairfield bridgeport and milford last year. was able to snag bunker with sp's 

That’s what I grew up hearing but I never really tracked down the story on the fish. I just like the area as it has plenty of accessible spots in a state that’s tough to shore fish. It’s also has a river feeding into it that holds some spring herring runs on good years 

On 1/30/2018 at 0:58 PM, FearlessFupa said:

That’s what I grew up hearing but I never really tracked down the story on the fish. I just like the area as it has plenty of accessible spots in a state that’s tough to shore fish. It’s also has a river feeding into it that holds some spring herring runs on good years 

I had some similar success in the Harbor. bunch of schoolies but had some Albies a few early mornings. They were packed in there at sunrise then headed out further in the harbor after 930/10am.

3 hours ago, westhavendave said:

MitchP.-10939-franco-bass.jpgSteve Franco's 75 pound baas out of New Haven Harbor.

That’s a monster , wish I could feel the fight that he would put up. 

7 hours ago, Mark L said:

That photo looks like it was taken out in front of Dee’s but I could be wrong. 

it is.

3 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

it is.

Thought so, haven’t been there in quite a while. 

If you have boat or kayak, fishing the break walls can be very productive.  I’ve caught some nice bass on top water at sunset and on eels at night.