albacized

Shimano Stella FJ series...due out in April

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This series will be replacing the fi series and will now include a 5000 size to the line up, along with upgraded components that are more so saltwater safe.  Is there anyone here on the staff who may have been field testing this bad boy?

Edited by albacized

7 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

maybe scoooby ,  or  rapid flow.

If they did, they would have sworn a blood oath on their first born to keep the secrecy.  The OSAKA 2018 fishing show is on Feb 2-4. We'll see what the big two is bring to the market.  

Why can't we have a NICE show like they have in thailand or Japan instead of the usual sausage fest? 

Posted (edited)

Im excited, 

Seems interesting. They are a decent price point. The FI I have retails at 819$ for a 4000. These are cheaper, significantly cheaper.  Seems like they took the twin power XD route and went 1-5000.  Wonder what the 5000 handle looks like.

Ill be picking one up from my Brother who lives in Japan and Korea. Should have one by late  march . Ill post back. 

Im really excited to see the new SW in a couple years. 

Edited by squidwontons33

I always wonder why so much for the high end reels. Are the materials that much more than those using lets say in a $100 reel. I don't think so. Research and development ,I'm sure there's expenses involved with R&D. I think it's because they know people are willing to pay the extra $ for a reel they can rely on, but I don't think it's justifiable to charge that much more.:why:

13 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

I always wonder why so much for the high end reels. Are the materials that much more than those using lets say in a $100 reel. I don't think so. Research and development ,I'm sure there's expenses involved with R&D. I think it's because they know people are willing to pay the extra $ for a reel they can rely on, but I don't think it's justifiable to charge that much more.:why:

I get your point completely, I have 4 stellas currently. They are pricey if you buy at full retail value, but I do not think that components come down to 100 dollars. The technologies and components far surpass the other reels in the shimano line, they cant even compare to a gosa, sustain or spheros imo. I pay the $$ for the experience and reliability. They fish so much different than anything I have fished in the past. Because of this Ill shell out the funds for them.  I think the new prices are a move in the right direction, although just over 100 bucks, I think its good to bring the tag down a bit. Wil be curious for the cash tag on the new sw. 

On Shimano's webb site the Stella FJ is listed under Spinning reels not salt water spinning reels. I wonder why?  No 6000 model available.

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, reel em in said:

On Shimano's webb site the Stella FJ is listed under Spinning reels not salt water spinning reels. I wonder why?  No 6000 model available.

Yeah, This is completely normal. Two stella subgroups. 

The current model is the Stella fi, this is size 1-4000. And meant more for fresh and light salt

And then there is the Stella SW, (Domestic sizes 5k-30k) ( 4k-30k JDM market) which is meant for full on saltwater fishing, or heavy duty fishing in general. In two years they will release the new SW

The new  Stella fj is replacing the older 2013 Stella FI. The divergence is apparent with the twin power and the Twin Power xd too. 

Edited by squidwontons33

Posted (edited)

Last Stella had felt drag washers I believe. No good for saltwater fish like False Albacore IMO. I think the 5000 Stella FJ will have carbon fiber. I wonder what the 1000-4000 will have for drag material.

Edited by Tailslap

1 hour ago, squidwontons33 said:

Yeah, This is completely normal. Two stella subgroups. 

The current model is the Stella fi, this is size 1-4000. And meant more for fresh and light salt

And then there is the Stella SW, (Domestic sizes 5k-30k) ( 4k-30k JDM market) which is meant for full on saltwater fishing, or heavy duty fishing in general. In two years they will release the new SW

The new  Stella fj is replacing the older 2013 Stella FI. The divergence is apparent with the twin power and the Twin Power xd too. 

Thank you.  Excellent reply

Posted (edited)

Having just literally reassembled shimanos two current flagships

The stella FI and the Exsence....

Which are nearly identical.  Stella uses a coated main gear vs un coated on the exsence.

And the Exsence pretty much wins out for everything else.  But lacks capacity

I watched the promo video and got a chuckle.

The Stella FJ silent drive looks to be expanding on the exsence's plastic oscillation gear.  

Where the FI stella uses brass and aluminium x2

The Exsense uses Plastic and aluminium x2

The FJ in the video looks like plastic and plastic x2  

The render of the antirevers clutch looks much more exsence than FI stella.  But it looks different altogther.

Bantam 1 said the ar clutch is new....but WHen I followed up with him.  I haven't heard back on it's re design.

(he don't like me much so I'm not expecting a reply from him :) )

And the sealing of the FI stella at the ar clutch wasn't a complete seal...better than the nasci and stradic...but not equal to the gosa spheros.

The exsence literally has no seal only an up down up down up down maze for water to follow.  So splashes are ok but dunks no bueno.

Same as the fi stella.

I gotta say..I'm completely over shimano and the BS of micro module.  Both the FI and Exsence have micro module gears....The FJ claims to be micro module 2.....So if the stella is micro module 1...what is the exsence??  It's teeth are much smaller the FI's.....Looks at van staal reels.....they're teeth are miniscule.  Yet it makes no difference in terms of strength and smoothness.....Hell..my FI's micro module hard coat aluminum gear set wore out and needs replacement in just 2 seasons.

I have a bunch of baitcasters with micro module...and they are no different than reels 15 or 20 years old in terms of smoothness or durability.

These are the pics I took earlier today one shows my worn out main gear and pinion gear on the FI

teh other shows a bunch of parts thrown about.

Not for nothin...But for the first time i'm much more stoked on the daiwa fw spinning line up than shimano.  

You guys see the 2018 exist?  Magnesium monocoque...Non of that fancy plastic stuff  :)

Edited by scoobydoo

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, squidwontons33 said:

Im excited, 

Seems interesting. They are a decent price point. The FI I have retails at 819$ for a 4000. These are cheaper, significantly cheaper.  Seems like they took the twin power XD route and went 1-5000.  Wonder what the 5000 handle looks like.

Ill be picking one up from my Brother who lives in Japan and Korea. Should have one by late  march . Ill post back. 

Im really excited to see the new SW in a couple years. 

Just a heads up, only our retail price domestically has been reduced, over in Japan the FJ will cost the same as the FI did. 

Edited by Jetex2801