Lami Triflex 7030c reviews??

Rate this topic

plug1712

Can anybody give some insight on this rod? Looking to use it for plugging (poppers, metal lips, spooks, pencils, shads, bucktails and sp minnows) and casting and drifting eels from a boat. Want something in that 3/4-3 oz. range that isn’t super fast. Haven’t been able to get my hands on one. Also can’t find any reviews regarding its action and backbone. Fishing in and around nyc harbor so heavy current and gnarly structure. Reel will be abu 6500. 

I have two 7030C love them. They are my live eel rods and snag and drop rods. Rod is a little stiff but needed for current. I also have the 7020C. I use the for the bay. I’m sure the 7020 can handle what your looking for and may be even better if your casting lures with it. The 7030 is a tight tip rod and you may not get a good cast  unless your using 3 oz lures. Hold the 7020 first. You know Lami rods. If it says 3 oz you can do 5 oz. 

On 1/24/2018 at 11:00 AM, plug1712 said:

Can anybody give some insight on this rod? Looking to use it for plugging (poppers, metal lips, spooks, pencils, shads, bucktails and sp minnows) and casting and drifting eels from a boat. Want something in that 3/4-3 oz. range that isn’t super fast. Haven’t been able to get my hands on one. Also can’t find any reviews regarding its action and backbone. Fishing in and around nyc harbor so heavy current and gnarly structure. Reel will be abu 6500. 

Great bottom fishing stick. I guess you could cast with it but you're already on a boat. How far do you need to cast?

I have one that I use for heavy fluke fishing in the channels and for chunking bass & drifting eels.

I dislike the cheap Lami cork handle that fell apart after a season (St. Croix's cork is noticeably much better quality)

Overall I like the rod, it has backbone but not overly stiff - never felt under gunned.  It's not as sensitive as the pure graphite rods but still plenty for what I use this rod for.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

7 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Great bottom fishing stick. I guess you could cast with it but you're already on a boat. How far do you need to cast?

Copy. Did find one in a local shop and got a good feel for it. Felt stiff for my application. Even on the boat I like the ability to cast and work plugs around structure. Eels I drop and drift or a small pitch. So in summary I’m not casting a mile.

Did pick up a Teramar NE 7’ MH 1-4 with a medium action and felt more better. But didn’t have the same backbone as the 7030. Trade off I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Marty said:

I have two 7030C love them. They are my live eel rods and snag and drop rods. Rod is a little stiff but needed for current. I also have the 7020C. I use the for the bay. I’m sure the 7020 can handle what your looking for and may be even better if your casting lures with it. The 7030 is a tight tip rod and you may not get a good cast  unless your using 3 oz lures. Hold the 7020 first. You know Lami rods. If it says 3 oz you can do 5 oz. 

Are you referencing the 7020CT? Shop only carried the 7030. Specs on CT look similar to Teramar minus the fast action.  Will need to look at the 7020ct before pulling any triggers. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, J Barbosa said:

I have one that I use for heavy fluke fishing in the channels and for chunking bass & drifting eels.

I dislike the cheap Lami cork handle that fell apart after a season (St. Croix's cork is noticeably much better quality)

Overall I like the rod, it has backbone but not overly stiff - never felt under gunned.  It's not as sensitive as the pure graphite rods but still plenty for what I use this rod for.

Definitely doesn’t feel like I would be undergunned by a larger fish. Again not sure about it casting. As I mentioned I’m not casting a mile but throwing around structure and top water plugs to busting fish is a must. 

19 hours ago, Slayer said:

Heres a Drum I caught while fluking. Its a great Bottom, Drifting, live lining rod. I don't think it's what i would look for in a casting rod.

Screenshot_20180129-172021.jpg

Well dang. Nice fishes. Backbone? Check. Nice bend in the first picture. May have to put the 7030 on the live line/eel list and continue searching for that true plug rod. Thanks for pics

I use a 7020S with a Spinfisher 4500 in similar conditions.  I've got all of these (7020,7030,7040) - the 30 and upwards are like broomsticks, wouldn't want to cast or use poppers with them.  Great deepwater fluke and bluefish rod though.  The 7040 is fantastic out by Plum Gut with 3 way bucktailing in heavy current.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Doesnt look like lamiglas makes a comparable casting version of the 7020s you have. Their site lists a 7020ct but specs are much different. From what I understand the “t” in ct designates a heavier, stiffer rod? Will likely go with the Shimano Teramar medium action. 

there were a few different series over the years, I could be wrong I believe the current model is only the triflex inshore classic which a great, I have a few, but they are a little fast, I also have an older triflex bl6625 (the bl's were slower action), it is my favorite all around boat rod, I use for shallow water toggin, fluking, eels, live bunker, I am always on lookout for more bl series triflex rods, and they do not have the cheap cork that JB mentions

• 1 month later...

Update. Wound up with two setups. 7030 for eels and live lining. Mojo inshore 7’6” MH paired with an abu 6500 for casting light stuff. Tried tidemaster 8’ MH but Mojo feels more moderate than the  tidemaster. Didn’t get to look at 7’6” MH tidemaster but not going to lose any sleep. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/1/2018 at 6:27 PM, ferret said:

there were a few different series over the years, I could be wrong I believe the current model is only the triflex inshore classic which a great, I have a few, but they are a little fast, I also have an older triflex bl6625 (the bl's were slower action), it is my favorite all around boat rod, I use for shallow water toggin, fluking, eels, live bunker, I am always on lookout for more bl series triflex rods, and they do not have the cheap cork that JB mentions

I may have an extra BL Triflex laying around .  I have an older 6625 and I have a newer 6630 the last year they made it.   I think they changed it the year after, I got it from a Lami rep that held it for me at a show. I am keeping this one ,I will let you know if I decide to sell the 6625.  

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common