passiton

Soundproofing rooms

31 posts in this topic

1 min ago, chucksplugsinsudz said:

Is someone modeling a Matt Lauer inspired office you cheeky little devil you? 

Don't cheap out on the light dimmer and self locking door! 

I'm laughing because I did put in a dimmer for my office when I replaced the crappy fluorescents with recessed LED's.  

Nothing too kooky going on, just several people using the two suites at the same time for counseling sessions.  Some people have no ability to use an "inside voice" while others just get loud when emotional and have the right to still have some  privacy and dignity for themselves.  

Posted (edited)

Something like this is used in studios where "how it looks" is important.  Not so in radio stations, we use big ugly sealed studio doors....

http://www.iacacoustics.com/studio-packages.shtml

BTW. injecting foam insulation into the walls may also be something you want to look at if sound penetration through the walls is more important than actual acoustics inside the rooms.  That will significantly deaden the penetrating sound as there will be no airspace between the two sides of sheetrock for the sound to resonate in. 

Double sheetrock, injected foam, and just regular industrial carpet on the walls will make for one quite space..... we did this in an announcers "booth" in an office building years ago and it did a great job.  We did spring for a single studio door.....

This a telemarketing setup, or are you just looking to Dexter somebody??? LOL

Edited by fmtuna

3 mins ago, passiton said:

I'm laughing because I did put in a dimmer for my office when I replaced the crappy fluorescents with recessed LED's.  

Nothing too kooky going on, just several people using the two suites at the same time for counseling sessions.  Some people have no ability to use an "inside voice" while others just get loud when emotional and have the right to still have some  privacy and dignity for themselves.  

Totally get little worse than trying to have a phone or in person conversation in an office that sounds like a happy hour. Hiding under your desk with the doors closed isn't the best look. 

Working in a bullpen atmosphere is a dreadful experience.

Check out a company called 

Working Walls. 

This is is a specialty of theirs and part of a project I’m working on right now. 

Fabric covered fiberglas panels that as a benefit offer a tackable surface. 

40 mins ago, passiton said:

Some people have no ability to use an "inside voice" while others just get loud when emotional and have the right to still have some  privacy and dignity for themselves.  

You should free up some time next month for the Philly fans who think they can beat Tom **** ing Brady. 

16 mins ago, Rocky_Point_Charlie said:

Check out a company called 

Working Walls. 

This is is a specialty of theirs and part of a project I’m working on right now. 

Fabric covered fiberglas panels that as a benefit offer a tackable surface. 

Do they offer anything for bathrooms?

Just have the kids paint it and call it a modern art deco piece that you paid a kings ransom for.

When I was younger I would just pause and jam a few pillows behind the headboard. 

An actual sound proof wall has sets of studs for each sides wall board ie: to make a four inch wall you would use 2x3 studs alternating which side of the 2x4 they are on.

A hollow core door has air for it's insides, not sound proofing.

Peace

Try this, its a possible easy fix.

Get either a tapestry thing for a wall or a large painting.  If a painting, glue some foam board or foam on the back of it.  Hang it on a wall, just pick a wall.  If that helps then done, if not, pick another wall and tryi again.  Same for the third (assuming no window?).

Stopping waves from moving around the room can soften everything in the room, and thats as good if not a  better solution.

A velvet Elvis or dogs playing poker.  Thats just me, bit I recommend it.

Regular glass insulation has nearly zero sound proofing capability.

Also, do we have a drop ceiling OR an open attic with sheetrock connected to the other rooms?  If yes that could ne a big part of the problem.

6 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

When I was younger I would just pause and jam a few pillows behind the headboard. 

your the best.:beers::hi5:

My primary concern here is sound insulating the doors.  All the other suggestions are helpful, but the doors are the big issue. 

Rooms are all Sheetrock with solid ceilings, living space on the second floor that is rented by someone else.