What make CC boat to look at

Rate this topic

bs08234

Starting to look for a reasonably priced 18-22 foot center console. Going to look at new. Used mostly in backbay south jersey waters. What brands should i be looking at? Again not top of the line, that will be later in life. Looking for dealer recomendations as well in nj.

New and reasonably priced is a contradiction in terms! Boats take a major depreciation hit once they're in the water and get a couple years on them. I would say look for a boat 2-4 years old, it'll be 30-40% off new list price. Make sure it has all the electronics you want (GPS, sonar, VHF radio), a trailer if you intend to tow it, have it surveyed and take for a sea trial yourself before you buy. Also check if the accessories are included (life jackets, throwable preserver, bumpers, lines, flares, extinguisher as they add to your expense if you need to buy them). As for brands, there's a ton of them out there, I'd look for a brand that still is a going concern. I just sold my 206 Key Largo, and not sure they're still being made. Also would go for a 4 stroke engine (Yami, Suz, Honda are all reliable and well put together). They're quieter, less smoke, and get better mileage than the 2 strokes. Good luck in your search!

On 1/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, ferret said:

Or the NYC boat show this week

I was at the NY boat show yesterday and would start there if you truly want a new boat.  They are offering some deep discounts. There was a Release 19' Center Console with a Yamaha 150 four stroke in the upper 30k range . I recognized the boat because they sell them not too far from me but being that I am not in the market for a new boat I never stopped to look. I don't know much about the boat but the husband and wife who owns the Release dealership at the show couldn't have been nicer and they will give you a little history of the boat. I think she told me the boat was  designed by the guy that designed mako's.  

Good luck

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common

On 1/23/2018 at 7:57 PM, Good2Go said:

New and reasonably priced is a contradiction in terms! Boats take a major depreciation hit once they're in the water and get a couple years on them. I would say look for a boat 2-4 years old, it'll be 30-40% off new list price. Make sure it has all the electronics you want (GPS, sonar, VHF radio), a trailer if you intend to tow it, have it surveyed and take for a sea trial yourself before you buy. Also check if the accessories are included (life jackets, throwable preserver, bumpers, lines, flares, extinguisher as they add to your expense if you need to buy them). As for brands, there's a ton of them out there, I'd look for a brand that still is a going concern. I just sold my 206 Key Largo, and not sure they're still being made. Also would go for a 4 stroke engine (Yami, Suz, Honda are all reliable and well put together). They're quieter, less smoke, and get better mileage than the 2 strokes. Good luck in your search!

I do agree with this though.

25 mins ago, makorider said:

Honestly, the NY show is a shell of its former self.  I wouldn't bother. 

AC is a much better show if you want to look at a bunch to compare

You are completely right.  It was like  a tradition that my son and I did when he was a young boy.  He is now 21 and rarely wants to hang with the old man anymore so when he called me up,and said let's go to the boat show, I was all over it.  It was really small and not a lot of the other little fun non boat vendors that usually are at these shows. We did that whole show in like an hour and 1/2 .   We had a beer and some bonding time so it was all good for me.  

Edited by puff tentacle

Based on your username, I assume that you are in EHT.  That back bay means a lot of different things.  Are you going to be running up the river, fishing the shallow bays between Linwood and Margate, frequenting the GE Bay and Inlet?  If you are running the river or targeting Scull Bay, Absecon Bay, or Lakes Bay, then I would think that something like a flat bottom boat like a Carolina Skiff will serve you well.  If you are going to be in the more populated channels with a lot of wake in the summer, or if you will be drifting the inlet and bay behind OC, then I would go with something that has a v-hull.  Someone mentioned Cobia, which is a nice boat.  There are a ton of boat builders for a center console in your size range, so do yourself a favor and go to the AC Boat Show in a few weeks and shop there.  

Good luck.

Considering you are already have your sights to jump up later in life I would not buy new as you are going to take a significant hit on the depreciation. You can either go with a newly used boat as stated above or also consider buying an older hull and re-powering. If you go the repower route I suggest getting a premium hull and highly sought after 4s motor i.e. Yamaha. for example buy a 2000 hydrasport 20ft CC  and repower with a new I4 200HP yamaha and you'll have a very capable boat that can handle bay (which does get snotty) as well as be great inshore. Another example would be a boston whaler 18ft that you can re-power with a new f150. The resale on these would be very good and you won't get stuck trying to get out of it.