2018 Tavern Victory Garden Thread

Rate this topic

gadwall8

11 mins ago, rocco said:

drip line, eh? i go the wife 100' of soaker hose with a bunch of t's and connectors hoping to cut down on the watering time.

anyone using that?

I found the leaky hose type of soaker watered unevenly so I got the wife a 90 foot hose and a full flow wand.  Saved me lots of time

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

2 mins ago, rocco said:

so i'm picking up that a consistent flow rate 24/7 is gonna be better than a once a day soaking :read: 

I've got a timer on my hose bib.  90 minutes every two or three days unless it's mid summer I can run it more often.  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....

Garlic, onions, leeks did ok.   Peppers weak, tomatoes ok but totally wrecked with blight before they had a chance to ripen up quite a lot of fruit.   Honeynut squash was good, will try to put more of that in.  Other squash were saved seeds  and half of those were whacked out edible hybrids of some sort. Planting different varieties 80 feet apart not nearly far enough

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

11 mins ago, rocco said:

drip line, eh? i go the wife 100' of soaker hose with a bunch of t's and connectors hoping to cut down on the watering time.

anyone using that?

Dripline here. I got my stuff at DripWorks. I wish I had bought the bluetooth controller though. Thing works like a champ otherwise.

12 mins ago, rocco said:

so i'm picking up that a consistent flow rate 24/7 is gonna be better than a once a day soaking :read: 

No. At least my opinion is no. 

You want to water infrequently and deeply. The soil is supposed to dry out between waterings: this is what forces the roots of the plant to grow, looking for water, and everyone knows that plants with longer roots are healthier. 

I once gave my sister a tomato plant that I'd grown from seed. It was probably a Red Brandywine. I gave it to her around Mother's Day. 10 weeks later, we were beating are gums against some delicious tamatas, and when I mentioned that, she said she hadn't gotten a single one. She'd been watering the plant twice a day for over two months! :D

Irrigation allows you greater control and greater precision than a hose or one a them sprinklers we ran through as kids, but the concept is still the same: water infrequently and deeply, as a supplement to rain only, and remember that too much water is just as bad, and oftentimes worse, than too little water.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

I've pretty much started putting drip all around my house.  Hanging baskets on the porch, garden beds and pots around the yard, etc.  I have to add a few more for her around the patio and then there'll be nothing that will require hand watering.  I've even added them into my sprinkler system.  

6 mins ago, MickAff said:

If you're a successful grafter, lots of heirloom tomatoes...... :howdy:

Tomatoes are the only thing that's a given for me every year: if I couldn't grow tomatoes, I'd quit gardening and take up cribbage. I'll do some. 

But the planning is for the other stuff. 

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

38 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Dripline here. I got my stuff at DripWorks. I wish I had bought the bluetooth controller though. Thing works like a champ otherwise.

:read: 

:howdy:

35 mins ago, Belmo said:

No. At least my opinion is no. 

You want to water infrequently and deeply. The soil is supposed to dry out between waterings: this is what forces the roots of the plant to grow, looking for water, and everyone knows that plants with longer roots are healthier. 

I once gave my sister a tomato plant that I'd grown from seed. It was probably a Red Brandywine. I gave it to her around Mother's Day. 10 weeks later, we were beating are gums against some delicious tamatas, and when I mentioned that, she said she hadn't gotten a single one. She'd been watering the plant twice a day for over two months! :D

Irrigation allows you greater control and greater precision than a hose or one a them sprinklers we ran through as kids, but the concept is still the same: water infrequently and deeply, as a supplement to rain only, and remember that too much water is just as bad, and oftentimes worse, than too little water.

:snr:

:snr:

:howdy: 

47 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Dripline here. I got my stuff at DripWorks. 

I just checked prices between that and sprinkler warehouse.  Dripworks is $102.95 and SPW is $48.98  for the same type and length of tubing.  

11 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I just checked prices between that and sprinkler warehouse.  Dripworks is $102.95 and SPW is $48.98  for the same type and length of tubing.  

Money means nothing to this man and did you just call him stupid?

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc