Mack26

Smack-It Topwater

30 posts in this topic

I know you guys will laugh at this but... Have always used Smack-It's Jr with much success with stripers in the back. Have also always said the stripers are swimming seagulls. We were out taping a show and just for fun I put on a Homer Simpson popper a friend gave me as a gag gift. Had rattles and his tray of donuts replaced the concave face of a Smack-It. Stripers pounded poor Homer constantly. If the stripers are on the hunt I believe that all they need is something thats the right size, making noise and moving through the water. Swimming seagulls. 

fishing.jpg.60e525aa80f3c57a548bf4480ab59d7a.jpg  

I'll give this a try. I already replaced the belly hook, but didn't mess with the tail hook because I was too lazy to mess with the feathers and I've been getting plenty of action on various color Chugbugs. Good to know it catches without the feathers...seems worthwhile giving it another run in the spring.

Smack it juniour size was always a good solid plug. I use it mainly in the back waters. I put time in with the larger version and never really unlocked any of its mojo. I much prefer SS littlenecks in this size. 

Ordering a half dozen tonight, and will swap out split rings and hooks. Lotsa good input so thank you guys! Can't wait to throw them!

... and yes, I will order several in white, Fluke!! :)

Great plugs, lousy hardware.  Personally, I love having white hackle on the back hook because unlike bucktail, the hackle seems to "breathe" in the water when the plug is not moving.  But not enough to leave the original hooks on there so if I am motivated I whip a little onto the replacement VMC's before I put them on.  I like the yellow Jr......

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Ordering a half dozen tonight, and will swap out split rings and hooks. Lotsa good input so thank you guys! Can't wait to throw them!

... and yes, I will order several in white, Fluke!! :)

You'll be happy....good luck!

Jr. is a great back bay plug and I have caught many out front with it as well. The senior works well too. White, threadfin and yellow did well for me this fall. They do seem to catch when other poppers won’t. I switched hooks and rings just so I won’t worry about them. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, FlukeOff said:

The JR. is one of my favorites. It doesn't cast great as its light and has tail feathers that catch the wind but this little popper will draw fish when nothing else will. The hooks used to chit but they changed the hardware last year and everything held up for me with fish up to 35". I use it all year in the Rivers and back bays but it's not heavy enough to throw in a swell or heavy wind. 

I never used the bigger version as at that size I prefer the little neck or a Polaris popper. 

I take the feathers off and the casting is much improved, never tumbles and easy distance. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, stripedbassking said:N

new ones come with VMCs