Dan Tinman

Surfday seminar schedule

38 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Big Will said:

It’s unfortunate that I’ve heard that my favorite spot I used to go to is no longer easily accessible. Because of security and the fact that the best fishing is at night there is nowhere to park without the  possibility of being harassed or getting a ticket. 

Which side of the river are you on? 

11 mins ago, 555jkeegs said:

Which side of the river are you on? 

Pa in Philadelphia. Never fished this far north, usually down south of the Walt Whitman. But I’m going to try everywhere this year 

Dan,  Will you be attending the Feb 10 Surf Flea Market at the VFW in Middletown this year?

Latest news is that the building isn't open until 6am Saturday morning. People can't wait in line the night before. I don't mind one bit.

Here's a "press release" from the Jersey Shore Surfcasters Facebook page.  It's more information on the seminars scheduled for Surfday.

Surf Day 2018 is coming on Saturday. This year will be another great show put on by the Jersey Shore Surfcasters. Along with the best vendors, selling the best surfcasting necessities in the striped bass universe, the seminar line up is where the real value kicks in. All of the seminars will be very well presented and have great info for you the surfcaster.

I would however like to mention a couple that are particular interest to me and why. The first is Ron McKee a.k.a. The Stripermaine-iac and his seminar on “Lure Development Since WWII.” In a word “fascinating.” He will explain how saltwater lures have developed. The key is the relationship he had with two of the early plug developers Bob Pond of Atom Lures and later Stripers Unlimited, and the legend Stan Gibbs. He knew both of these guys when he was a kid and when these guys were in the process of developing their great lures. It is very interesting to hear Ron tell his story, don’t miss this first-ever seminar!

Now the morning seminars are ridiculous and trying to figure out which one to go to, you may as well just flip a coin. You have Bob Bott with the lower Delaware spring bass, can you say mooooo? Then you have Bernie Bass, the LI guide on bucktailing beaches and inlets, Frank Mihalic (JSS’er) with jetty jigging for blackfish, great stuff! And then you have a young, smart, up and comer Blake Griffiths, I would love to hear his take and perspective!

Ryan Collins I saw do a seminar at Mass Bass a couple years back I thought he did an excellent job presenting, using some very good videography. I am sure he will do a very good job! Plus I love Cape Cod!!

The kid sharpshooter Daniel Caminiti will be doing the Kid’s Seminar and we are very happy to have him. He is very psyched up and this one ought to be good. Remember every kid in the seminar goes home with good stuff. Matt Risser (JSS’er) will be doing a very informative seminar about what you need to get together before you get on the road for some serious bass fishing. I know him and his crew very well and these guys know what they are doing!! If you are getting ready to do some road trips, or thinking about it, check out this seminar. Holy smokes, then you have Joe Baggs doing a winter holdover seminar? This will be another very good and high level seminar, he has covered a lot of ground and his experience is wide spread.

After the Mid-Day seminar will come the Afternoon Seminars. Mark Jolliffe a close fishing compadre of mine will be doing a seminar that is absolutely loaded up with everything wetsuiting. I helped him with this thing and man it made me want to drive to Montauk!! If you are considering a wetsuit, get your butt to this seminar! The Brunley family is legend in the south, and Roger Brunley (a JSS’er) is going to be doing a seminar, one that I really want to see, on fishing for drum on OBX. If you haven’t drum fished yet, you haven’t lived yet and if you are interested in drum-catch this seminar!!! The boys from Comanche Surfcasting will also be doing an afternoon seminar including videos and adventure from the past season.

Now I think it is only fair for me (another JSS’er) to give insights on my own seminar, “The Thought Processes of a Striperman.” This talk is for those who feel lost the moment they walk onto the beach and stare and the vastness of the ocean and wonder how the hell they are going to catch something when the area is so endless. It will also be for the bass fisherman that is looking for big mama bass. This seminar will cover how to approach and attack a season or how to specifically plan a session using science, conditions, gut, and willpower to land stripers and preferably monster bass. This seminar will take the guessing out of your fishing and it will make you think.

You will have the opportunity to visit 5 seminars of the 13 taking place at Surf Day, not a bad deal for $10 is it? Be smart and bring a notebook and a pen and for Pete’s sake, don’t fall asleep in a seminar, get some sleep on Friday night. Remember also that all seminars start and end on time and you will have to leave/clear the room after each one.

See you on Saturday!!

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Here's a "press release" from the Jersey Shore Surfcasters Facebook page.  It's more information on the seminars scheduled for Surfday.

Surf Day 2018 is coming on Saturday. This year will be another great show put on by the Jersey Shore Surfcasters. Along with the best vendors, selling the best surfcasting necessities in the striped bass universe, the seminar line up is where the real value kicks in. All of the seminars will be very well presented and have great info for you the surfcaster.

I would however like to mention a couple that are particular interest to me and why. The first is Ron McKee a.k.a. The Stripermaine-iac and his seminar on “Lure Development Since WWII.” In a word “fascinating.” He will explain how saltwater lures have developed. The key is the relationship he had with two of the early plug developers Bob Pond of Atom Lures and later Stripers Unlimited, and the legend Stan Gibbs. He knew both of these guys when he was a kid and when these guys were in the process of developing their great lures. It is very interesting to hear Ron tell his story, don’t miss this first-ever seminar!

Now the morning seminars are ridiculous and trying to figure out which one to go to, you may as well just flip a coin. You have Bob Bott with the lower Delaware spring bass, can you say mooooo? Then you have Bernie Bass, the LI guide on bucktailing beaches and inlets, Frank Mihalic (JSS’er) with jetty jigging for blackfish, great stuff! And then you have a young, smart, up and comer Blake Griffiths, I would love to hear his take and perspective!

Ryan Collins I saw do a seminar at Mass Bass a couple years back I thought he did an excellent job presenting, using some very good videography. I am sure he will do a very good job! Plus I love Cape Cod!!

The kid sharpshooter Daniel Caminiti will be doing the Kid’s Seminar and we are very happy to have him. He is very psyched up and this one ought to be good. Remember every kid in the seminar goes home with good stuff. Matt Risser (JSS’er) will be doing a very informative seminar about what you need to get together before you get on the road for some serious bass fishing. I know him and his crew very well and these guys know what they are doing!! If you are getting ready to do some road trips, or thinking about it, check out this seminar. Holy smokes, then you have Joe Baggs doing a winter holdover seminar? This will be another very good and high level seminar, he has covered a lot of ground and his experience is wide spread.

After the Mid-Day seminar will come the Afternoon Seminars. Mark Jolliffe a close fishing compadre of mine will be doing a seminar that is absolutely loaded up with everything wetsuiting. I helped him with this thing and man it made me want to drive to Montauk!! If you are considering a wetsuit, get your butt to this seminar! The Brunley family is legend in the south, and Roger Brunley (a JSS’er) is going to be doing a seminar, one that I really want to see, on fishing for drum on OBX. If you haven’t drum fished yet, you haven’t lived yet and if you are interested in drum-catch this seminar!!! The boys from Comanche Surfcasting will also be doing an afternoon seminar including videos and adventure from the past season.

Now I think it is only fair for me (another JSS’er) to give insights on my own seminar, “The Thought Processes of a Striperman.” This talk is for those who feel lost the moment they walk onto the beach and stare and the vastness of the ocean and wonder how the hell they are going to catch something when the area is so endless. It will also be for the bass fisherman that is looking for big mama bass. This seminar will cover how to approach and attack a season or how to specifically plan a session using science, conditions, gut, and willpower to land stripers and preferably monster bass. This seminar will take the guessing out of your fishing and it will make you think.

You will have the opportunity to visit 5 seminars of the 13 taking place at Surf Day, not a bad deal for $10 is it? Be smart and bring a notebook and a pen and for Pete’s sake, don’t fall asleep in a seminar, get some sleep on Friday night. Remember also that all seminars start and end on time and you will have to leave/clear the room after each one.

See you on Saturday!!

That last one sounds great. Even with the experience I have I always feel lost and question myself when looking at a wide open beach. I’m interested in how something like that would be covered and how other anglers approach this. Even with knowledge on reading the water, tides, current, and conditions  it takes a lot of experience to get a game plan going that’s going to result in catching fish. And since my goal is always to target larger fish I would like to  hear the techniques other anglers are using to not just catch fish but to target large ones. 

Edited by Big Will

I am out of town but wish I could be there in support of our great sport and listen to some of these great speakers. The show is great and and you can get one on one with the vendors. I wish us all a safe and prosperous year! May we all experience a tight line, bent rod and screaming drag for 2018!